Who are the Israelis?

I came across this interesting interview of young Israeli’s from a broad cultural spectrum. I found enlightening, refreshing and not what you typically hear. I know Haaretz has a paywall but you can get a certain number of free reads weekly (I do not subscribe but can get free articles). It is worth the read imo.

The questions asked were:

How do you identify politically (right, left or center)?
How do you identify religiously, if at all?
Who did you vote for in the two rounds of elections in 2019?
Who do you plan to vote for in the third round on March 2?
Did you vote for the same party as your parents?
Have you attended any demonstration in the past year and if so, for or against what?
Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
Do you see your future in Israel?
How do you most identify?
What do you consider to be the most burning political or social issue facing Israel today?
Do you believe Israel has a special obligation to take in refugees and asylum seekers?
Do you believe public buses should operate in Israel on Shabbat?

Do you believe members of the LGBTQ community deserve full rights?
Do you support a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict – in other words, the establishment of an independent Palestinian state next to Israel?
Do you support Israeli annexation of the West Bank?
Are you familiar with the nation-state law, and if so, what’s your position on it?

It is impossible to attach all the responses, so I will only do so for one question: What do you consider to be the most burning political or social issue facing Israel today?

The fact that we’re having so many elections, although maybe that’s not so much of an issue anymore. So I guess I’d say it’s all the divisions in society that bother me most.

I’d say the lack of civility in political discourse and the threat to the rule of law. We’ve always taken pride in being the only democracy in the region, and the rule of law was once considered the holy of holies in this country. But these days, I have a harder and harder time explaining how Israel is different from other regimes in the area

The high cost-of-living, especially housing prices. I have less interest in politics because of the whole mess we’re in with this government.

For me, there are two. One is the growing racism in the country – against Ethiopians, against Arabs and against Mizrahi Jews. The other is the discrimination against those who are not considered as Jewish as I am. I have a friend like that, whose mom isn’t Jewish, and as a result,he doesn’t get the same benefits as me.

As I see it, there are three big issues. One, whether we like it or not, security will always be a top issue on the national agenda. Two, our health and welfare systems are in great need of improvement. And three – and this is something that has become particularly obvious in the past year – are the divisions among different groups in Israeli society. In many cases, the problem is that these groups don’t know each other, and something has to be done about that.

What really bothers me is the climate crisis, but it’s not an Israeli problem specifically. I’m also really troubled by the fact that there’s no functioning government in the country and that our prime minister has been indicted.

Widening socioeconomic gaps.

Getting a government elected that will show some respect for all the different groups in society.

It seems to change every month, but in general I’d say it’s the growing socioeconomic gaps. It bothers me that that there are so many children in this country who don’t have equal opportunities.

Violence in the Arab community.

I came across this interesting interview of young Israeli’s from a broad cultural spectrum. I found enlightening, refreshing and not what you typically hear. I know Haaretz has a paywall but you can get a certain number of free reads weekly (I do not subscribe but can get free articles). It is worth the read imo.

Have you attended any demonstration in the past year – and if so, for or against what?
What do you consider to be the most burning political or social issue facing Israel today?
Do you believe Israel has a special obligation to take in refugees and asylum seekers?
Do you support a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict – in other words, the establishment of an independent Palestinian state next to Israel?
Are you familiar with the nation-state law, and if so, what’s your position on it?

It is impossible to attach all the responses, so I will only do so for one question: What do you consider to be the most burning political or social issue facing Israel today?

The fact that we’re having so many elections, although maybe that’s not so much of an issue anymore. So I guess I’d say it’s all the divisions in society that bother me most.

I’d say the lack of civility in political discourse and the threat to the rule of law. We’ve always taken pride in being the only democracy in the region, and the rule of law was once considered the holy of holies in this country. But these days, I have a harder and harder time explaining how Israel is different from other regimes in the area

The high cost-of-living, especially housing prices. I have less interest in politics because of the whole mess we’re in with this government.

For me, there are two. One is the growing racism in the country – against Ethiopians, against Arabs and against Mizrahi Jews. The other is the discrimination against those who are not considered as Jewish as I am. I have a friend like that, whose mom isn’t Jewish, and as a result,he doesn’t get the same benefits as me.

As I see it, there are three big issues. One, whether we like it or not, security will always be a top issue on the national agenda. Two, our health and welfare systems are in great need of improvement. And three – and this is something that has become particularly obvious in the past year – are the divisions among different groups in Israeli society. In many cases, the problem is that these groups don’t know each other, and something has to be done about that.

What really bothers me is the climate crisis, but it’s not an Israeli problem specifically. I’m also really troubled by the fact that there’s no functioning government in the country and that our prime minister has been indicted.

Getting a government elected that will show some respect for all the different groups in society.

It seems to change every month, but in general I’d say it’s the growing socioeconomic gaps. It bothers me that that there are so many children in this country who don’t have equal opportunities.

:bsflag:
In one word - "Haaretz"

The publication with the lowest circulation of the radical left;
that in Israel has widely become synonymous with deception and deceit.

Broadly feeding on identity politics for vulgar incitement, and subversion against the society, and has been caught on bold lies probably even more than the infamous Pal. Info Center.

Coyote, you say it's "refreshing", "enlightening", but in-spite obviously knowing what I've written above, and been shown that numerous times, you have the audacity to claim it's "not what you typically hear", yet with simple examination of your posting history on the subject, in 99% of the times that's been the only source you've been quoting for years.

So let's drop the denial that what's lurking behind your "not what you usually hear",
is anything more than shallow pretense.

(P.S. However to try be fair, give you the benefit of the doubt, which in my view you don't deserve, yet in slightest hope that there's a chance you ever come to terms with reality, I'll point to one of various lies presented in the article, the most obvious one - the publication (on its own initiative) edited into the supposed answer of one of the interviewees the allusion that Meretz was a "Left-wing Zionist party", which they expressly deny, removing any mention of the word "Zionist" from political platform. This is just one of the typical lies and deception constantly insinuated through their publication.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Meretz actually sued them for this, which would be far from the first time they had to face, and pay for libel charges. )

Last edited:

Have you attended any demonstration in the past year – and if so, for or against what?

In one word - "Haaretz":bs1:

The publication with the lowest circulation and of the radical left;

Broadly feeding on identity politics for vulgar incitement, and subversion against the society, and has been caught on bold lies probably even more than the infamous Pal. Info Center.

Coyote, you say it's "refreshing", "enlightening", but in-spite obviously knowing what I've written above, and been shown that numerous times, you have the audacity to claim it's "not what you typically hear", yet with simple examination of your posting history on the subject, in 99% of the times that's been the only source you've been quoting for years.

So let's drop the denial of what's lurking behind your "not what you usually hear",

(P.S. However to try be fair enough, give you the benefit of the doubt, which in my view you don't deserve, yet in slightest hope that there's a chance you ever come to terms with reality, I'll point to one of various lies presented in the article, the most obvious one - the publication (on its own initiative) edited into the supposed answer of one of the interviewees the allusion that Meretz was a "Left-wing Zionist party", which they themselves expressly deny, removing any mention of the word "Zionist" from their political platform. This is just one of the typical lies and deception Haaretz insinuate through their publication.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Meretz actually sued them for this, which would be far from the first time they had to face, and pay for libel charges. )

I refuse to read that newspaper. From years ago.

The Israeli 'Mother Jones'?

So let's drop the denial of what's lurking behind your "not what you usually hear",

(P.S. However to try be fair enough, give you the benefit of the doubt, which in my view you don't deserve, yet in slightest hope that there's a chance you ever come to terms with reality, I'll point to one of various lies presented in the article, the most obvious one - the publication (on its own initiative) edited into the supposed answer of one of the interviewees the allusion that Meretz was a "Left-wing Zionist party", which they themselves expressly deny, removing any mention of the word "Zionist" from their political platform. This is just one of the typical lies and deception Haaretz insinuate through their publication.

Well, I'm not familiar with "Mother Jones",
but if that's synonymous with vulgarity and lack of any journalistic integrity - that's spot on.

There's a reason why they have virtually no circulation in Israel, yet widely LOVED by the most ardent Jew-haters abroad, main target audience, for whom they gladly suit material for incitement and disinformation.

Well, I'm not familiar with "Mother Jones",
but if that's synonymous with vulgarity and lack of any journalistic integrity - that's spot on.

There's a reason why they have virtually no circulation in Israel, yet widely LOVED by the most ardent Jew-haters abroad, main target audience, for whom they gladly suit material for incitement and disinformation.

This, from years ago.

^ I glared in horrified disbelief at Amos Biderman’s drawing depicting the three-time elected Israeli Prime Minister and decorated war veteran Benjamin Netanyahu piloting a plane into one of the World Trade towers; an obvious reference to the 9/11 attack on America and massacre of 3000 innocent beings. Suggesting there is a moral equivalency between the leader of the only democracy in the Middle East and one of our closest allies to the 19 Islamic terrorists who committed the greatest mass murder on American soil is despicable. I could not remain silent at the site of this implausible offense and so began an email exchange with the publisher of Haaretz; Amos Schocken. Our communication was professional and respectful yet providing me another glaring example of the leftist mindset.

This is the first Coronavirus patient in Israel that was cured and this is what he has to say...

No matter background, socio-economic status, political affiliation or place of residence,
the Jewish soul resonates with and knows Who brings all the difficult challenges, keeping us strong to face them, Who ultimately removes them when time is right,
and most importantly why...

'Am Yisrael Chai!

Last edited:
^ I glared in horrified disbelief at Amos Biderman’s drawing depicting the three-time elected Israeli Prime Minister and decorated war veteran Benjamin Netanyahu piloting a plane into one of the World Trade towers; an obvious reference to the 9/11 attack on America and massacre of 3000 innocent beings. Suggesting there is a moral equivalency between the leader of the only democracy in the Middle East and one of our closest allies to the 19 Islamic terrorists who committed the greatest mass murder on American soil is despicable. I could not remain silent at the site of this implausible offense and so began an email exchange with the publisher of Haaretz; Amos Schocken. Our communication was professional and respectful yet providing me another glaring example of the leftist mindset.

Just to be clear, at least in my opinion, and I think it wouldn't be a far stretch that what I say is the widely common opinion in Israeli society - there's no purpose to entirely reject the Left, it's ability to challenge and inspire critical thinking, it's intuition and worldview.

After all, the country was re-constituted by the socialist-Left, with all its shortcomings,
merit and contribution (and there's a lot) at most critical times in the past.

I think its more a global trend, as we see unfortunately the Left turning impossibly idealistic,
and further, often than not being driven by an almost religious indulgence in 'saint-like' virtue signaling, and total detachment from the daily reality occurring outside of their socio-economic and narrow intellectual circles.

The Left still, and will always remain relevant, but it must quickly return to sanity, rejoin and serve the rest of humanity. Only that way will it have any chance to actualize and fulfill all those ideals they hold so dear to life - in the real world.

I think Einat Wilf is an outstanding example of the virtuous, sane and truly ethical Left:

Last edited:
RE: Who are the Israelis?
⁜→ P F Tinmore, et al,

Now isn't that is interesting? And yet, at the same time, it is a bit confusing.

(COMMENT)

Rumor has it that the Galilee Research Institute (MIGAL) is on the verge of releasing an effective treatment
(alla COVID-19 Vaccine) for the Coronavirus. However, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) says that currently → there is no vaccine to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Most Respectfully,
R

Lior Elmaliah - Ashir Lichvod Haverim ( I'll sing for my friends)

Song written by Rabbi Ya'akov Abuhatzeira ztz"l.

Happy new month of Nissan to all!
May it be full of blessing and good news!

Last edited:
El Al announces Special Airlift to rescue Israeli travelers stranded in Peru

Today evening (18.3), starting at 23:45, an EL AL airlift will depart to rescue Israeli travelers from Peru, following the request of Foreign Minister Israel Katz. And at the same time, another process began to be issued by Prime Minister Mr. Benjamin Netanyahu.

Following the request of Foreign Minister El Al, regarding hundreds of Israelis stranded in Peru, El Al accepted the challenge and decided to carry out the task. To this end, the company has recruited its business partners and leading companies in the economy to issue three rescue aircraft. During the registration process for flights in the Foreign Office situation room, it became clear that the number of Israelis in Peru is approaching a thousand people and therefore required to take out another aircraft.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered immediate mobilization to take out another aircraft, with the intention of bringing all Israeli travelers home and El Al is preparing for the challenge.

Gonen Ussishkin, El Al's CEO: "In times of crisis or emergency, we are working and doing everything possible in reach to get out for help at any point on the globe, and to ensure that Israel will not turn into an island under siege and preserve Israel's air link as open as possible.
I want to thank first and foremost the Prime Minister Mr. Benjamin Netanyahu, for the immediate directive to take care additional flight, and Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr. Israel Katz and the people of Foreign Ministry, and the Director-General. For leading the initiative, a complicated mission in front of the travelers, worried parents and authorities in Peru. As well thanks for the NSC and the Civil Aviation Authority on funding and assisting this complex flight, which is the longest flight in the history of El Al.

I would like to thank our friends and partners in the Israeli economy for their immediate devotion. The CEOs put the value of mutual commitment at the top of the priority scale, with the concern for the well being of Israeli travelers at the forefront, the heart expanding especially as they did so during times of uncertainty in the economy.

The heads of companies have expressed national responsibility and leadership and for that we are all grateful.

We feel a personal duty to note the partners who are the true heroes and without them the flights could not be implemented: Shufersal, Discount Bank, National Bank, International Bank, KAL, Strauss, Zionist Association 2000, Melanox, Wicks, Liveu, OZEN , Zuko Combinations Representative Caterpillar, Leiman Shlisel, McCann, McDonald's, Harel, Deca Restaurant, Zim, Paz, Medinol, Google, Facebook, Kunah Nagel as well as personal donations:, Eric Ben David, Mr. Krief Suber Patrick and Mr. Baruch Ibtser.

Following the declaration of an emergency in Peru due to the outbreak of the Corona virus, hundreds of Israeli travelers were stranded in Peru. The Foreign Ministry contacted El Al to look into the possibility of a rescue flight. El Al was met with a challenge, when it was a destination El Al had never flown in and the flight length was over 16 hours. This is the longest flight in the history of El Al.

Since this is not a commercial flight and EL AL does not fly to South America, Elon CEO Gonen Ussishkin decided to make the flights without any payment from travelers. El AL also made a decision to contribute $50,000 to the operation and raise the required amount to finance additional three rescue airlifts from El Al's business partners.

The flight tickets were sent to travelers' personal emails in accordance with lists transmitted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

More details: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Last edited:
In spite of the coronavirus crisis, aliyah does not stop

Absolutely crucial!

*Hotels and guest houses all over the country specifically fitted services for the situation.

P.S. For anyone having difficulties contacting the Jewish Agency, or Nefesh B'nefesh,
or arranging a place of residency for the initial 14 days of quarantine upon arrival-
feel free to contact me here privately. I'll try my best to help.

Last edited:
Mati Shriki - Bchol Zot Hig'anu (In Spite of All That We Arrived)

When we walked on a steep road and fell
When we said Shalom to a loved friend
When we dreamed about singing but dared not
We wanted to dream but did't wake up

On the radio they played the song we loved
When we were angry at a minister who robbed us all
When we wore uniform and didn't ask where
Wanted here and came there

And in spite, and in spite
All of that we arrived

When Shabat came and the movie ended
When mom lit candles happy
When we got hit, thought differently
Walked in spite preferring to sit

When we were scared to get up to a disappointing routine
Left everything and wanted to go
When we saw a groom with a bride in love
Broke the glass the joy isn't perfect

When we forgot the way -
And in spite all of that we arrived!

Last edited:
“In Nissan they were redeemed, in Nissan they will be redeemed” ( Tractate Rosh Hashanah 11a)

Wow Haverim! What a Rosh Hodesh!
How merciful is HaShem, how HaShem loves His people!

There're wonderful news from Israel!

And in spite of all that's going on, its not all gloomy,
HaShem in His infinite Mercy and Kindness, and in the midst of all current challenges,
makes sure that we remove any doubt from our hearts that He certainly lights our way!

* B"H I'll share the updates after Shabat,
but first thing first, during these hours before Shabat let's focus on the most precious -
as Sivan Rahav Meir says, let's focus on "disconnecting - in order to connect."

Last edited:
What Makes Shabbos Different These Days?

The other day I heard someone say: “Throughout the week we sat at home and did nothing so what’s the big deal this week about Shabbat? The whole week was one long Shabbat.”

If Shabbat is only about sitting around and doing nothing – she’s right. But Shabbat is more than that. All week they keep telling us “No” – no to buses, no to flights, no to schools, no to coffee shops. You can’t do this and you can’t do that.

Shabbat is the time to say yes. Yes to Shabbat candles, yes to kiddush, yes to a special dinner, yes to a unique family feeling, yes to 24 hours that are completely different, when it is possible to disconnect – in order to connect.

It appears that our mission this Shabbat is to bring the holiness of the synagogue – now standing empty – into the living room and the kitchen.

Shabbat shalom.

Rahav-Meir-Sivan_JP_a-1.jpg

This Week Torah Portion: 'Vayikra' – With A Small Aleph

Sefer Vayikra opens with the expression “And Hashem called to Moshe.” The word vayikra (called) is written with a small aleph.

The Baal HaTurim explains that this was because of Moshe Rabbeinu’s extreme humility. Hashem told him to write the word vayikra with an aleph. That implies that Hashem called Moshe to come forward for an audience. Moshe felt that was too much honor. He wanted it to appear as if it were more of a random occurrence. When Hashem spoke to Bilaam, the Torah used the expression “vayikar” – it occurred – to mean that it wasn’t a formal audience, just a chance happening. So Moshe requested to write the word here that way without the aleph. Hashem told him not to do that, but to write the word out fully. Out of his extreme humility, Moshe said he would only write it with a small aleph to somehow keep the connotation that it wasn’t a formal invitation.

When we focus on this discussion, we see a beautiful illustration of humility – with a bit of a twist. Hashem called out to Moshe and specifically told him to write that in the Torah. After all, it was true, and it was important for the Jewish people to recognize the greatness of their leader. Moshe felt that while everyone might already have known it, to have it recorded that way for generations was just too much kavod, so he asked to have it stricken from the record.

Hashem told him no, it must remain. So out of deference to Hashem Moshe wrote it, but not in its full form, only with a small aleph. Moshe ran from the kavod, a very impressive show of humility.

Yet if we think about this discussion, it doesn’t sound humble at all. Hashem was giving Moshe directions for writing the Torah, the very blueprint for Creation. Hashem instructed Moshe to write the word “vayikra” with a large aleph. Moshe said no. Hashem insisted. Moshe still said no. Finally Moshe compromised: “All right, I will write it, but my way – small.” This doesn’t sound very obedient, and certainly not humble! It sounds audacious. An unassuming man would listen to the Creator of the Heavens and the earth and do as he was told.

The answer to this can be found by understanding the balance between the greatness of man and humility. To do this, let’s begin with a mashal...

Read full story :

Last edited:
This Week Torah Portion: Kabbalistic Twist on Vayikra 2020

Shabat Shalom,
peaceful Shabat to all Beit Yisrael!

Last edited:
EJGngHlX0AIY8aW.jpg:large
Yoval Tayeb with Rabbi Haroush - Havdalah

"I'll carry the cup of salvations

Please G-d redeem us
Please G-d redeem us

Please G-d succeed us
Please G-d succeed us

Succeed us
Succeed our ways
Succeed our study
Succeed our deeds

Succeed our Teacher and our Rabbi
Give him health and strength to make all 'Am Yisrael happy

Succeed our state
Succeed our soldiers
Succeed everyone who respects Israel

Succeed our health
And send a blessing,
Wellbeing and success in our deeds..."

Last edited:
Generals’ Party Capitulates as So Many Have Done,
before a Masterful Netanyahu

Benny-Gantz-and-Yair-Lapid-at-a-campaign-stop-Feb.-17-2020.-696x464.jpg

Let’s start with the bottom line: no one in Israel expects Benny Gantz to become the next prime minister based on the rotation agreement (which is yet to be signed) between himself and Benjamin Netanyahu. It just ain’t gonna’ happen. By the time Bibi has done away with his criminal indictments (Do you expect him to get jail time? Have you been following his career?), in a year and a half or two years, it would just not make sense. Backed by only 15 coalition members, some of whom are already more Likudniks than Kachol-Lavannik (the Hebrew name of the expired Blue&White party – DI), how can Gantz even dream of getting the reins?

Think about it: Likud has 36 seats, the Yamina-Haredim have 22, so Gantz and his 15 seats will be in charge? Forgeddaboutit! A few months before the appointed date, Bibi’s henchmen will start doubting the former chief of staff’s qualifications: he stutters, he naps during meetings, he is unreliable, he’s confused, he had extramarital trysts – they will destroy him, and his former partners, most notable Yesh Atid chairman MK Yair Lapid, will be only too happy to join in the carving. Netanyahu will then scrap the Knesset and go for elections, and will most likely collect big time.

Netanyahu did this to Tzipi Livni when she and her Kadima party had received 28 seats in the Knesset, one more than Likud’s 27, and yet Bibi won the endorsements to the president.

Netanyahu did this to Labor chairman Buji Herzog, running him through a loop of coalition negotiations for six months, deceiving and exhausting him, until he had lost all credibility with his own party members, especially his partner, Tzipi Livni.

He did it to several generations of Habayit Hayehudi, drinking the settlers’ votes with the tacit approval of Naftali Bennett and Ayelet Shaked.

He did it to Moshe Feiglin, who did not pass the vote threshold, but posed a potential threat to Likud, so Bibi promised that if Feiglin abandon ship, he’d get a government portfolio, as the Yiddish adage says, nechtike tug.

And he now did it to Blue&White, after a year of relentless efforts, three election campaigns, and the kind of manipulations that would have left the great Houdini stuck in the water tank hectically searching for that darn key.

Netanyahu-on-phone-with-White-House-Kobi-Gideon-GPO-696x392.jpg

Full story:
Generals’ Party Capitulates as So Many Have Done, before a Masterful Netanyahu

Last edited:
Meet Israel’s New Center-Right-Religious
Unity Government

Amit Segal was the first to report what has now been reported by all the media, Israel will have a center-right-religious unity government, led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and joined by Benny Gantz as Foreign Minister (or possibly as Defense Minister).

The Blue&White party has already collapsed and split up. Yair Lapid is going to head the Opposition. Reports are that within his party, they are openly cursing Benny Gantz.

The coalition will consist of 78 MKs.

• 58 members from the Rightwing bloc.
  • 3 from Labor,
  • 17 from Gantz’s Hosen (Resilience) faction in Blue&White, along with Telem’s Tzvika Hauser and Yoaz Hendel (it seems that Yaalon is not joining Gantz),
  • Possibly Orly Levy.
The following is the distribution of seats so far, and subject to change:
  • Justice Minister: Hili Tropper
  • Speaker: alternating between Hosen and Likud, switching in Sept. 2021.
  • Internal Security: Likud
  • Defense: Ashkenazi (or Gantz)
  • Foreign and Deputy Prime Minister: Gantz, switching in September 2021.
    Alternatively, Asheknazi will get the Foreign Ministry position.
  • Finance: Likud
Naftali Bennett may be appointed as Education Minister again. Bennett denies it.

There will be veto power for both sides on Justice, Culture and Internal Security issues.

Head of Opposition: Yair Lapid.

Avigdor Liberman will also be in the opposition.

Until the government is officially formed, Benny Gantz has been appointed the Knesset Speaker, after which the position will be returned the Likud.

23israel-president-superJumbo.jpg

Comment:

HUGE win for the Nation Dwelling In Zion!
The largest coalition ever in Israel's modern history!
Whether You understand how this affects us all - Congratulations to Klal Yisrael!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back