Who are the 47% that pay no "income" taxes?

Yet how is it that [liberals] plan going about making sure that the reviled wealthy "pay their fair share"?....Income taxes.

Any calculations of what the wealthy pay in taxes and whether they could reasonably be expected to pay more should, of course, include their entire tax burden. We wouldn't want to send rich people to the poor house because we forgot to take their FICA taxes into consideration, would we? :tongue:

So here's the choice: You can admit that you're [a] class warrior.

Certainly I admit that! In fact, I declare it proudly. It's called class warfare when the non-rich fight back. And that's true. Otherwise it's a class massacre, not class warfare.

Or you can . . . try to change the subject (which is INCOME taxes

I'm not changing the subject, just making sure we're clear what the subject is, and what that means and doesn't.

The subject is income tax only? Well fine -- but the fact that 47% of the people don't pay income taxes doesn't mean doodly squat. As I said.

I remember income tax coming out of mine as well. I also remember getting a nice fat tax return.

You do know that the kid making minimum wage at McDonald's has federal income taxes taken out of his check every week, right?

Yes and if they get it all back they are not paying income tax.

The fact that you clowns keep bringing in other taxes tells us of the desperation you seek in carrying forward the class warfare fight.

I have never received everything I have paid in, back. NEVER.

I have.....as a short order cook and as a lower enlisted member of the Air Force.

I am fortunate enough now that I have a job where I have a so called "skin" in the federal income tax game.

No, dude, the fact that you want to ignore the other taxes that are paid in order create this simple minded 47% vs 53% neighbor vs neighbor, brother vs brother battle is the real divide being made. And you are a useful idiot perpetuating it.

No one is ignoring the other taxes...

The issue is income tax. Now keep making excuses for your class warfare. It further diminishes any remaining credibility you may possess.

Yet how is it that [liberals] plan going about making sure that the reviled wealthy "pay their fair share"?....Income taxes.

Any calculations of what the wealthy pay in taxes and whether they could reasonably be expected to pay more should, of course, include their entire tax burden. We wouldn't want to send rich people to the poor house because we forgot to take their FICA taxes into consideration, would we? :tongue:

So here's the choice: You can admit that you're [a] class warrior.

Certainly I admit that! In fact, I declare it proudly. It's called class warfare when the non-rich fight back. And that's true. Otherwise it's a class massacre, not class warfare.

Or you can . . . try to change the subject (which is INCOME taxes

I'm not changing the subject, just making sure we're clear what the subject is, and what that means and doesn't.

The subject is income tax only? Well fine -- but the fact that 47% of the people don't pay income taxes doesn't mean doodly squat. As I said.
Yes, you are *trying* to change the subject and failing miserably.

The fact remains that craven little Fabian twirps like you are using the income tax as a wedge issue, to divert from the fact that your economic policies are total ignominious failures.

And, aside from the usual 20-odd percent of the usual knuckle draggers who fall for the soak-the-rich snake oil, you're failing miserably at that, too.

Bullshit you are bashing the policy!! Its GOP tax cutting policy that created the 47%. The Bush tax cuts doubled the number who pay no income taxes and CON$ want to make that tax policy PERMANENT!!!

Nope, they were the Bush tax cuts for the rich, remember? Only the wealthy benefited from the Bush tax cuts. You people have been saying so almost daily for the past ten years. You really need to get your stories straight.

The #1 GOP talking point is that 47% pay no income taxes.

The GOP is driving the income tax wedge and hoping they can come up with 53% of the vote.

Yes, you are *trying* to change the subject and failing miserably.

Not at all. The subject is INCOME tax only. I get it. Now I'm pointing out this fact: the claim that 47% of the people pay no income tax, while true, means doodly-squat.

your economic policies are total ignominious failures.

MY economic policies? Pray tell, what government has put MY economic policies to the test recently?

aside from the usual 20-odd percent . . . who fall for the soak-the-rich snake oil

20-odd percent?

Polls show longtime support for tax hikes on rich - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Make that 64 percent.

No one is ignoring the other taxes...

The issue is income tax.

Then the issue is pointless and meaningless.

Now keep making excuses for your class warfare.

Class warfare requires no excuse. The alternative is class surrender.

You mean you want the point to be meaningless because you have squat to argue against it.

I did note your instance to separate people into groups. Dont complain when you get rounded up.

Who are the 47% that pay no "income" taxes?

My guess based on what I have seen in the real world? Mostly the underpaid, exploited and unemployed. Of course necessary to these ranks is a % of the plain ole' lazy but they definitely appear to be minority status regardless of their fame among the GOP.

You're not counted unless you file a return.. I don't THINK you file a return if you're unemployed and make less than $600 W2 wages.. (could be wrong).

Also -- I'd love to hear about "exploited".. Sounds fascinating. I bet that's all those working poor Walmart employees ain't it? We should pay them the same as Nordstrom's shouldn't we?

The #1 GOP talking point is that 47% pay no income taxes.

The GOP is driving the income tax wedge and hoping they can come up with 53% of the vote.

Go post a poll.. I think you'd find that MOST all of the Conservatives that point this out DON'T really want to hike taxes on the 47%.. The sole purpose of USING that statistic is to REBUTT the stupid Leftist arguments about "fair share".

I certainly don't want ANYBODY'S taxes to go up until Congress "gets it" and realizes that the checkbook has limits..

Am I right?? Any Conservatives that REALLY want to hike taxes on the 47% before the spending and growth of control issues are addressed??

8537::::

**LIke I said, the programs were not conceived as universal. It is clearly regressive because the contribution structure is such that the more you earn, the lower your contribution rate. That is the definition of regressive.

**SS has no choice but to sell its excess to the general fund (an excess, by the way, that was merely transitory and short term until Reagan virtually doubled the contribution rate). Where else would SS park the extra trillions?

Universal means that EVERYONE participates and EVERYONE benefits substantially equally. That's what INSURANCE should be. You want to redefine INSURANCE.

When you consider that with extraordinary INCREASES to the cap, the benefits no longer resemble the FDR stated goal of matching payroll contribution to actual benefits -- THE BENEFITS are EXTREMELY PROGRESSIVE.. Cannot be considered regressive when total ROI is considered.

The THEFT of excess was TRULY THEFT. Nothing of cash value was put into the Trust Fund. Now that SS is in annual deficit -- NEW DEBT must be issued to cover the shortfall. Taxpayers are paying TWICE for the same benefit dollar. Where could they have parked it? Simple.. Buy ALREADY ISSUED Treasuries on the open market. THAT doesn't require FUTURE debt issuances. And it would have stimulated the market for US debt instruments. But if they had done that -- they wouldn't have been able to SPEND the loot from the heist. They are crooks.. And THEY ended up making the 47% pay regressive amounts of overcharges on their FICA premiums for years with NO ZERO NADA benefit to the programs..

Those of us that pay income tax, who among you would be the first to trade places with someone who does not?

Some people here are failing to realize that the safety net would immediately apply to them if they suddenly lost their money.

That's the bit that makes it universal.

It's a pretty fucking sad state of affairs when almost half the country doesn't make enough money to pay their taxes.

Bullshit you are bashing the policy!! Its GOP tax cutting policy that created the 47%. The Bush tax cuts doubled the number who pay no income taxes and CON$ want to make that tax policy PERMANENT!!!

Nope, they were the Bush tax cuts for the rich, remember? Only the wealthy benefited from the Bush tax cuts. You people have been saying so almost daily for the past ten years. You really need to get your stories straight.

Yes EdtheCynic -- that's correct. Because we are not quoting this 47% statistic to suggest that the poor pay MORE. We are quoting it so that the LEFTIST CLAIM of the rich paying their "fair share" looks utterly ridiculous. It's a rebuttal to the ill-conceived class warfare propaganda that the DEMS are pushing to EXPAND the pool of money going to Washington.

Nearly half of US households escape fed income tax - Yahoo! Finance

Here's a little analysis of how high the "excused" income level has gotten for the 47%. It's about TWICE the official poverty level..

The result is a tax system that exempts almost half the country from paying for programs that benefit everyone, including national defense, public safety, infrastructure and education. It is a system in which the top 10 percent of earners -- households making an average of $366,400 in 2006 -- paid about 73 percent of the income taxes collected by the federal government.

The bottom 40 percent, on average, make a profit from the federal income tax, meaning they get more money in tax credits than they would otherwise owe in taxes. For those people, the government sends them a payment.

In 2007, about 38 percent of households paid no federal income tax, a figure that jumped to 49 percent in 2008, according to estimates by the Tax Policy Center.

In 2008, President George W. Bush signed a law providing most families with rebate checks of $300 to $1,200. Last year, Obama signed the economic recovery law that expanded some tax credits and created others. Most targeted low- and middle-income families.

But income tax rates were lowered at every income level. The changes made it relatively easy for families of four making $50,000 to eliminate their income tax liability.

Here's how they did it, according to Deloitte Tax:

The family was entitled to a standard deduction of $11,400 and four personal exemptions of $3,650 apiece, leaving a taxable income of $24,000. The federal income tax on $24,000 is $2,769.

With two children younger than 17, the family qualified for two $1,000 child tax credits. Its Making Work Pay credit was $800 because the parents were married filing jointly.

The $2,800 in credits exceeds the $2,769 in taxes, so the family makes a $31 profit from the federal income tax. That ought to take the sting out of April 15.

Last edited:

Here's a little analysis of how high the "excused" income level has gotten for the 47%. It's about TWICE the official poverty level..

The result is a tax system that exempts almost half the country from paying for programs that benefit everyone, including national defense, public safety, infrastructure and education. It is a system in which the top 10 percent of earners -- households making an average of $366,400 in 2006 -- paid about 73 percent of the income taxes collected by the federal government.

The bottom 40 percent, on average, make a profit from the federal income tax, meaning they get more money in tax credits than they would otherwise owe in taxes. For those people, the government sends them a payment.

In 2007, about 38 percent of households paid no federal income tax, a figure that jumped to 49 percent in 2008, according to estimates by the Tax Policy Center.

In 2008, President George W. Bush signed a law providing most families with rebate checks of $300 to $1,200. Last year, Obama signed the economic recovery law that expanded some tax credits and created others. Most targeted low- and middle-income families.

But income tax rates were lowered at every income level. The changes made it relatively easy for families of four making $50,000 to eliminate their income tax liability.

The family was entitled to a standard deduction of $11,400 and four personal exemptions of $3,650 apiece, leaving a taxable income of $24,000. The federal income tax on $24,000 is $2,769.

With two children younger than 17, the family qualified for two $1,000 child tax credits. Its Making Work Pay credit was $800 because the parents were married filing jointly.

The $2,800 in credits exceeds the $2,769 in taxes, so the family makes a $31 profit from the federal income tax. That ought to take the sting out of April 15.

Lol, at 50,000 dollars a year you're probably using most of your monthly checks for bills, if not all of it.

Lol, at 50,000 dollars a year you're probably using most of your monthly checks for bills, if not all of it.

Same is true of most of Silicon Valley buds making $200K per year or more.. EVERYONE is overleveraged. The solution is NOT in tax policy. The solution is in boosting skill sets and providing new manufacturing and technology jobs. We can't all "service each other" to death and grow wages.

Forum List

Back