Zone1 White Culture holds back white people

How Racism Hurts White People Too

Racism coddles Whites by not requiring us to learn what all people of color must do to survive.

Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC
Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC, Contributor

Imagine you work hard your whole life: at school, work and home. You win some and you lose some, and at times it feels like there’s more losing than winning. Life’s not easy, but you hang in there and follow most of the rules. Some people are less kind than others, and your interactions with teachers, coworkers, bosses, store clerks and bureaucrats can be challenging. Like most people you know, you do all right, but sometimes struggle to pay bills, find a decent place to live, put your kids in a decent school, and get your basic needs met. You see less deserving folks get rewards or perks you don’t. You worry about the future.

And then someone says you have “white privilege.”

I get it. I’m White. Growing up with three darker-skinned family members and mostly “minority” classmates, I hated racism. I thought it meant meanness and abuse directed towards people of color, particularly Blacks, and as a teen I vowed to do my part to stop it. I bristled at the suggestion that I contributed to racism or benefitted from so-called “privilege” just because I was White. What a load of crap! I was a conscientious, empathetic person with multicolored friends. I went out of my way to treat everyone with respect and dignity, even advocate for equality. I worked my butt off in challenging social and financial circumstances to achieve a great deal. To suggest I hadn’t earned it fairly was deeply insulting. To say I got unearned advantages sounded like a copout from lazy complainers.

Eventually, I learned that my well-intended understanding of racism was woefully superficial and incomplete. I learned that I was blind to much of what was going on around me, because I’m White. I also learned a dirty secret about racism: It hurts White people too.

Racism coddles Whites by not requiring us to learn what all people of color must do to survive – how to live in multiple worlds, speak multiple languages and quickly navigate complex realities. It coddles us by making us too fragile to fully hear, understand and receive what people of color are saying, much less take responsibility for our part. It makes us too fragile to talk with people or color in any way that doesn’t meet our standards of comfort and familiarity, much less tolerate being in groups where we are the racial minority.

Susan Rinderle is right.. I've seen some of this and what she says and she is absolutely correct.

This, especially American white culture does them more harm than anything they imagine coming from whatever perceived threats some whites have concocted.

Sadly there are black people help perpetuate this lifestyle of denial.

We do things like tell them nothing is their fault and that white racism is not a problem. That all the deficits we were born into were self inflicted..

“Racism skews our sense of reality. It damages our humanity. It makes us weak.”-Susan Rinderle

This is one woman's opinion and well its probably true for some white people, its not true for all.
There's too many varied life experiences and its always tempting to throw everyone of one race into one pot.

Anyways, if she said she lived with people of color and said she was blind because she was white.... maybe she wasnt a very observant person. I grew up in a multi- ethnic home in various parts of my life and I can DEfinately say I knew what other people went through from the time I was 5 years old. I may not have realized what it was at the time I was seeing it but I figured it out later.
Meanwhile, o n the street, if you see me you only see another white person who you assume has no context to the world except for being white. There are millions of people like me in that respect.

This is one woman's opinion and well its probably true for some white people, its not true for all.
There's too many varied life experiences and its always tempting to throw everyone of one race into one pot.

Anyways, if she said she lived with people of color and said she was blind because she was white.... maybe she wasnt a very observant person. I grew up in a multi- ethnic home in various parts of my life and I can DEfinately say I knew what other people went through from the time I was 5 years old. I may not have realized what it was at the time I was seeing it but I figured it out later.
Meanwhile, o n the street, if you see me you only see another white person who you assume has no context to the world except for being white. There are millions of people like me in that respect.
You guys use one black persons opinion all the time to diss blacks. So drop the double standard..

Racism coddles Whites by not requiring us to learn what all people of color must do to survive.

Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC

Imagine you work hard your whole life: at school, work and home. You win some and you lose some, and at times it feels like there’s more losing than winning. Life’s not easy, but you hang in there and follow most of the rules. Some people are less kind than others, and your interactions with teachers, coworkers, bosses, store clerks and bureaucrats can be challenging. Like most people you know, you do all right, but sometimes struggle to pay bills, find a decent place to live, put your kids in a decent school, and get your basic needs met. You see less deserving folks get rewards or perks you don’t. You worry about the future.

I get it. I’m White. Growing up with three darker-skinned family members and mostly “minority” classmates, I hated racism. I thought it meant meanness and abuse directed towards people of color, particularly Blacks, and as a teen I vowed to do my part to stop it. I bristled at the suggestion that I contributed to racism or benefitted from so-called “privilege” just because I was White. What a load of crap! I was a conscientious, empathetic person with multicolored friends. I went out of my way to treat everyone with respect and dignity, even advocate for equality. I worked my butt off in challenging social and financial circumstances to achieve a great deal. To suggest I hadn’t earned it fairly was deeply insulting. To say I got unearned advantages sounded like a copout from lazy complainers.

Eventually, I learned that my well-intended understanding of racism was woefully superficial and incomplete. I learned that I was blind to much of what was going on around me, because I’m White. I also learned a dirty secret about racism: It hurts White people too.

Racism coddles Whites by not requiring us to learn what all people of color must do to survive – how to live in multiple worlds, speak multiple languages and quickly navigate complex realities. It coddles us by making us too fragile to fully hear, understand and receive what people of color are saying, much less take responsibility for our part. It makes us too fragile to talk with people or color in any way that doesn’t meet our standards of comfort and familiarity, much less tolerate being in groups where we are the racial minority.

Susan Rinderle is right.. I've seen some of this and what she says and she is absolutely correct.

This, especially American white culture does them more harm than anything they imagine coming from whatever perceived threats some whites have concocted.

We do things like tell them nothing is their fault and that white racism is not a problem. That all the deficits we were born into were self inflicted..

“Racism skews our sense of reality. It damages our humanity. It makes us weak.”-Susan Rinderle
Still?

Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC

White Liberal Democrats, what can I say?
:th_smiley_emoticons_gaehn:

The thread is not about black people. It is about white people and their culture.
True and the arrogance in certain parts of white culture has you ignoring your flaws to talk about how you pay your bills and raise your kids.

True and the arrogance in certain parts of white culture has you ignoring your flaws to talk about how you pay your bills and raise your kids.

It is not arrogance. I have zero delinquencies on my credit report. My culture uses tremendous pressure conditioning me to be a prompt paying debtor, keep my grass mowed regularly, not throw my McDonalds trash out the car window, and all sorts burdensome things like that which rub up against my natural instincts.

Susana Rinderle, MA, ACC

Silly Woman.....racism harms any who harbor it.
What in God's name made her think that only whites can be racist? Seems to me she hasn't learned the very lesson she's trying to teach.

Silly Woman.....racism harms any who harbor it.
What in God's name made her think that only whites can be racist? Seems to me she hasn't learned the very lesson she's trying to teach.

Show us a system created by other races that gave them preferences and has excluded others at any time in American history

Bingo! White people have problems too. Who knew?
So now whites have problems. According to you and other whites here like you whites are perfect..

To show how other races can be as racist as whites have been.

Well if you go back to how Muslims treated non Muslims during the Caliphate you can get a good idea. Also how the Mongols and the Huns basically ravaged parts of Eastern Europe.

So now whites have problems. According to you and other whites here like you whites are perfect..
One reason we don't pay more attention to black problems is that we're pretty busy taking care of our own. At the end of a workday I'm way too tired to go out and save the black community from someone else's racism.

One reason we don't pay more attention to black problems is that we're pretty busy taking care of our own. At the end of a workday I'm way too tired to go out and save the black community from someone else's racism.
You create black problems with your racism.

Forum List

Back