Which have strongest military in Nordic ??

From Nordic the strongest military cuts ????

• Denmark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finland

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Sweden

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which Nordic country has the worst speakers of English? Because your post 1 is a shining example. It makes no sense at all.

Based on your title, if what you're trying to say is "which of the Nordic countries have the strongest military?" --- the answer would clearly be Iceland, which is not on the list.

That's because it has no standing army. When a country figures out how to do that it's automatically stronger than a country that depends on one.

Incorrect. Iceland relies on NATO for it's defense currently. During WWII it relied on both the UK and the USA for its defense.

Read the post. I said it has no standing army --- which is correct.

Which means that if the superhero can't come to your defense you're screwed.

That projection doesn't matter --- what I posted was factually correct.

It isn't the ideal national situation but at least the country doesn't need an army, so that's the first step -- assuming, again, that it's a question of which is "stronger".

Which Nordic country has the worst speakers of English? Because your post 1 is a shining example. It makes no sense at all.

Based on your title, if what you're trying to say is "which of the Nordic countries have the strongest military?" --- the answer would clearly be Iceland, which is not on the list.

That's because it has no standing army. When a country figures out how to do that it's automatically stronger than a country that depends on one.

Incorrect. Iceland relies on NATO for it's defense currently. During WWII it relied on both the UK and the USA for its defense.

Iceland very small nation, 300,000 population.

Oden what should you say.

I think this way:

1.Finland
2.Norway
3.Sweden
4.Denmark

The answer is Norway.

I think he should just post in Swedish. At least then he might get one language right. Might be easier for, say, a native German speaker to figure out what the fuck he's babbling about than trying to decode what he thinks is "English".

If someone joins from Finland, this is for you to help with....:wink:

And it's Nordic, yet it wasn't on the list.

Know what I love about Iceland? Its shape is the mirror image of the contiguous United States.

Oden what should you say.

I think this way:

1.Finland
2.Norway
3.Sweden
4.Denmark

The answer is Norway.

I think he should just post in Swedish. At least then he might get one language right. Might be easier for, say, a native German speaker to figure out what the fuck he's babbling about than trying to decode what he thinks is "English".

If someone joins from Finland, this is for you to help with....:wink:

Heheh... I probably know more Finnish than Swedish. ;)

Know what I love about Iceland? Its shape is the mirror image of the contiguous United States.

I love Iceland, we spent a month there already, it's very majestic.

I love Iceland, we spent a month there already, it's very majestic.

I only spent an hour there, a layover on a flight to Luxembourg on my first trip to Europe. And that was a military base (Keflavik) which is now closed, so not a visit to Iceland at all.

Wish I had it to do over -- knowing how the trip would work out I would have passed some time there and taken another flight later on.

Really.....you call depending on the United States to keep you safe so you can spend all of your money on welfare benefits smart?

Pogo,

I think he may be a Finn. Finnish language is not a member of Indo-European family of languages. So it is harder for Finnish people to learn the basics of a language that is a member of Indo-European family of languages. North Germanic languages (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, etc.) are members of Indo-European family of languages. So it easier for a Swede or a Norwegian or a Danish person to learn English compared to a Finn.

Pogo,

I think he may be a Finn. Finnish language is not a member of Indo-European family of languages. So it is harder for Finnish people to learn the basics of a language that is a member of Indo-European family of languages. North Germanic languages (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, etc.) are members of Indo-European family of languages. So it easier for a Swede or a Norwegian or a Danish person to learn English compared to a Finn.

Yeah yeah yeah I know all that, I'm a linguist, please don't patronize me, and you left out Icelandic and Dutch and Frisian. But he's self-identified as a Swede. I know there's a small population of Finnish speakers in Sweden but generally they're at least bilingual with Swedish, just to get through life.

It's arguable that being a native speaker of a Finno-Ugric language makes it in a sense easier to pick up English, since one would not have the common cognates to get hung up on and would be forced to learn them from scratch.

Maybe Lucy's right -- maybe he's a Sámi from way up north.

Anyway my point is as always to convey to him that his English is not proficient enough to be understood.

Really.....you call depending on the United States to keep you safe so you can spend all of your money on welfare benefits smart?

What's Iceland's army budget?

Zero.

What's ours?

Tell me about "smart".

Zero.

What's ours?

Tell me about "smart".

So....they hide behind the U.S....they may be smart...but they are essentially leeches......and is protecting the people of other countries something to be proud of...since they obviously won't protect themselves....

Zero.

What's ours?

Tell me about "smart".

So....they hide behind the U.S....they may be smart...but they are essentially leeches......and is protecting the people of other countries something to be proud of...since they obviously won't protect themselves....

"Leeches" huh?

When's the last time we had to defend Iceland from ... anything?

What exactly are they supposed to be 'protecting themselves' ---- FROM?

We're talking real world geography here -- not the Green Lantern Paranoia Special comic books you live in voluntarily.

Zero.

What's ours?

Tell me about "smart".

"Leeches" huh?

We're talking real world geography here -- not the Green Lantern Paranoia Special comic books you live in voluntarily.

Never liked Green Lantern....you appear to be a big fan though....

Pogo,

Yeah yeah yeah I know all that, I'm a linguist, please don't patronize me, and you left out Icelandic and Dutch and Frisian. But he's self-identified as a Swede. I know there's a small population of Finnish speakers in Sweden but generally they're at least bilingual with Swedish, just to get through life.

It's arguable that being a native speaker of a Finno-Ugric language makes it in a sense easier to pick up English, since one would not have the common cognates to get hung up on and would be forced to learn them from scratch.

Anyway my point is as always to convey to him that his English is not proficient enough to be understood.

I did not know you were a linguist. If I did, I would have stayed clear of you :)

Dutch and Frisian are not the members of North Germanic family of languages. Dutch and Frisian along with German and English belong to West Germanic family of languages. There is one more branch of Germanic languages: it is called East Germanic Languages; I think most languages in this branch are pretty much extinct.

I apologize for leaving out Icelandic in favor of etc :)

BTW, I am surprised that he is a Swede because Swedes usually have decent command on English.

Zero.

What's ours?

Tell me about "smart".

"Leeches" huh?

Never liked Green Lantern....you appear to be a big fan though....

It was a random pick. I don't know much about comic books. Not nearly as much as you do.

Pogo,

I did not know you were a linguist. If I did, I would have stayed clear of you :)

Dutch and Frisian are not the members of North Germanic family of languages. Dutch and Frisian along with German and English belong to West Germanic family of languages. There is one more branch of Germanic languages: it is called East Germanic Languages; I think most languages in this branch are pretty much extinct.

BTW, I am surprised that he is a Swede because Swedes usually have decent command on English.

Touché -- I skipped by the word "North". You win. :bow3:

I'm surprised too for the same reason. And so do Finns. A few years ago there was a Finnish reporter who posted here (Saigon) whose English was flawless. Others may be a bit less fluent but they're still comprehensible. But this guy is gobbledegook.

I have a new neighbor I just met today, from Mexico. She doesn't have much English but we managed to exchange pleasantries. Wonderful news for me, I'm thinking I can do some language lesson exchange and pick up some Spanish. :thup:

Pogo,

Touché -- I skipped by the word "North". You win. :bow3:

I'm surprised too for the same reason. And so do Finns. A few years ago there was a Finnish reporter who posted here (Saigon) whose English was flawless. Others may be a bit less fluent but they're still comprehensible. But this guy is gobbledegook.

I have a new neighbor I just met today, from Mexico. She doesn't have much English but we managed to exchange pleasantries. Wonderful news for me, I'm thinking I can do some language lesson exchange and pick up some Spanish. :thup:

I am not a linguist by any stretch of imagination. So I will not let you concede the victory :)

Anyone, with proper effort, can master any language. There is no doubt about that. However, I was suggesting that when it comes to learning English, a Finn has bigger natural barrier than a Swede.

Coming back to the topic:

I would say Sweden has the strongest military out of all the Scandinavian countries. I am basing this on military industrial complex of these countries. Sweden produces quite a bit more of military hardware than other Scandinavian countries. You cannot have a strong military without a strong military industrial complex.

Forum List

Back