WHERE IS THE ACLU??? Man charged with 2 felony counts of hate crimes for being an asshole.

If you can go to prison for being an arsehole, I'm screwed (let's hope he's gentle).

Last time I checked the ACLU defended freedom of speech so what gives?

Hate crime charges filed against man caught on video confronting woman over Puerto Rico shirt

He deserved to have his teeth knocked in by someone but what is this hate crime bullshit? Even the BLACK WOMAN in California wasn't charged with a hate crime for an actual hate crime.
Woman arrested in assault of 91-year-old Mexican man who was told to ‘go back to your country’

Where is the EQUAL PROTECTION/TREATMENT under the law?

And just to let everyone know I believe the "hate" designation is ridiculous but if you are going to use it do it across the board where necessary.

Feelings do not trump freedom of speech in this country.
Hopefully they’re laughing and not picking up when the asshole calls
It is not a crime to be a jerk. If it was half of us on this board would need a revolving door at our local jails.

This is bullshit and you know it.

I can see the city paying out the ass in a civil suit for violating his civil rights before this is said and done.
If I ever threaten to find and harm anybody on this site because I think their race/religion should be eradicated from the country, I bet the ACLU won’t defend me either

You'd just get laughed at by anyone you threatened.

Hate crime charges filed against man caught on video confronting woman over Puerto Rico shirt

He deserved to have his teeth knocked in by someone but what is this hate crime bullshit? Even the BLACK WOMAN in California wasn't charged with a hate crime for an actual hate crime.
Woman arrested in assault of 91-year-old Mexican man who was told to ‘go back to your country’

And just to let everyone know I believe the "hate" designation is ridiculous but if you are going to use it do it across the board where necessary.

Hopefully they’re laughing and not picking up when the asshole calls
It is not a crime to be a jerk. If it was half of us on this board would need a revolving door at our local jails.

This is bullshit and you know it.

I can see the city paying out the ass in a civil suit for violating his civil rights before this is said and done.
If I ever threaten to find and harm anybody on this site because I think their race/religion should be eradicated from the country, I bet the ACLU won’t defend me either

You'd just get laughed at by anyone you threatened.
Nah I'm not like your dotard

There is no freedom of speech between private citizens. The 1st amendment prohibits the government (federal) from interfering with the free speech rights of "the people" just like the 14th amendment prohibits unequal treatment by a government agency, among other things

First Amendment - Religion and Expression. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Fourteenth Amendment - No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. Section 2​

Forum List

Back