When slapped, Obama should slap back

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Does Obama even understand what went down?

It's hard to argue with the results thus far from President Obama's "no drama" approach to campaigning and governing, but I think he should learn to chew a little scenery when the occasion demands. Theatricality is one of the weapons in any leader's arsenal, and a well-timed glower or growl can have more impact than a sheaf of position papers.

Granted, the history of U.S. involvement in Latin America is pretty sordid. And granted, Obama made clear that he intends no abdication of American leadership, but rather a new atmosphere of mutual respect.

Chavez, Ortega and a few others, however, made a show of being rude. A flash of presidential anger from Obama would have been in order.

given how obama chnges posistions ..... i would not be shocked in the least if his actions towards our southern neighboors was nothimg like what he appeared to say.....

It's hard to argue with the results thus far from President Obama's "no drama" approach to campaigning and governing, but I think he should learn to chew a little scenery when the occasion demands. Theatricality is one of the weapons in any leader's arsenal, and a well-timed glower or growl can have more impact than a sheaf of position papers.

Granted, the history of U.S. involvement in Latin America is pretty sordid. And granted, Obama made clear that he intends no abdication of American leadership, but rather a new atmosphere of mutual respect.

Chavez, Ortega and a few others, however, made a show of being rude. A flash of presidential anger from Obama would have been in order.

So, he should send the Secret Service out to bust Cheney's chops ?
and to hunt down and beat the crap out of EVERY vocal critic ?

Ortega was not criticizing, not "slapping" Obama. He was criticizing the past American policies and actions that have irritated and abused Central and South America.

Obama is not a beliigerent impatient rowdy brawling drunken slob, ready to take offense at every silly slight. He's a mature grown up who can see and maneuver past the petty turds floating in the water, ignoring them as turds.
He will not let them, or any turd tossers, determine the futre of the nation.

It's nice to have grown ups running the government.

Ortega was not criticizing, not "slapping" Obama. He was criticizing the past American policies and actions that have irritated and abused Central and South America.

Obama is not a beliigerent impatient rowdy brawling drunken slob, ready to take offense at every silly slight. He's a mature grown up who can see and maneuver past the petty turds floating in the water, ignoring them as turds.

Wrong, they WERE criticizing the US, but Obama is ok with that, he agrees the country has sucked, until now. However, he was grateful that they weren't criticizing HIM for something that happened when he was 3 months old, (that has a 'ring' to it, sure we'll hear it again). It's all about Obama!

he's an embarrassed apologist.. you can put all the lipstick on that pig you want,, it's still a pig.

Sure. He acted with class. He undermined Ortega's rant with a joke. He presented an American leader willing to engage listen, and doesn't go stomping off like an child if things don't go the way he wants.

Sure. He acted with class. He undermined Ortega's rant with a joke. He presented an American leader willing to engage listen, and doesn't go stomping off like an child if things don't go the way he wants.

As do so many who participate in these forums...

As do so many who participate in these forums...

It's probably not a bad analogy.

In (too) many threads you get "you're a jerk," then "you're an asshole," then "you're a fucktard" etc.

Are those the more useful threads for debating issues, developing a good relationship with the other poster, learning things, finding common ground?

Probably not.

this coming from a "real" adult with a little picture on the bottom saying to drive real fast and take your chances.....yea your grown up....

BO isn't going to be upset.

Ortega did the same thing Obama did in Europe - criticize the United States

Big deal. Are you afraid of a little criticism?

Me? Not at all.

But BO is the President. He should stand up and defend our country. Remind people that we are the greatest country in the world.

Not apologize, or sit silent, or bow down to others.

What would you do if someone verbally attacked a loved one of yours?

Sit there and take it? Or would you say something to defend them?

Me? Not at all.

But BO is the President. He should stand up and defend our country. Remind people that we are the greatest country in the world.

Defend them, thought it would kind of depend upon what my loved one had done.

Me? Not at all.

Too bad Obama doesn't feel the way you do.

You would defend a loved on.

He couldn't even defend his country.

Me? Not at all.

Truth is US history in Latin America isn't always something to be proud of. I'm not sure what would have been accomplished by Obama getting into a pissing match with Ortega.

Truth is US history in Latin America isn't always something to be proud of. I'm not sure what would have been accomplished by Obama getting into a pissing match with Ortega.

Didn't expect a pissing match.

How about getting up and leaving?

But no, he made a crack about being glad he wasn't blamed for things that happened when he was 3 months old.

First..the age was wrong.

Second, and I said it in another thread, BO's statement was extremely narcisistic. Ortega was talking about the United States, not Obama.

BO thinks it's all about him. It isn't.

It is about the United States. But he doesn't get that.

Me? Not at all.

You mean you want a yes man in charge.

Why would I want reminding that you are the best country in the world when I don't believe you are?

It would depend on what was being said re defending them. If Charlie Manson was related to me and somebody called him a murdering sonofabitch I'd buy them a beer...

He is the pesident of the most powerful country on earth Kissing ass just shows him to be weak and some one these idiots can push around.

He is the pesident of the most powerful country on earth Kissing ass just shows him to be weak and some one these idiots can push around.

That's debatable whether you are still the most powerful country on Earth.

It may show weakness to uber-right leaning Americans. But to the centrists and lefties, and those outside your country it shows he is diplomatic and willing to engage. He's doesn't shoot off at the mouth and alienate people. You may think the world looks at you with respect when the likes of Bush et al try and bully others into their way of thinking. Trust me, we neither fear nor respect you when you act like that. It just alienates you even further....

Me? Not at all.

You mean you want a yes man in charge.

Why would I want reminding that you are the best country in the world when I don't believe you are?

It would depend on what was being said re defending them. If Charlie Manson was related to me and somebody called him a murdering sonofabitch I'd buy them a beer...

Will you translate this for me? How is BO walking out making him a yes man?

And that second sentence..you completely lost me.

Let's see...I'll be like some people here...so you are comparing the United States to Charles Manson?

Forum List

Back