When metal ruled the world.

ab76459e9e.jpg

I saw Blue Öyster Cult in 1975.
Definitely some early metal vibes there.

I saw the first use of a guitar synthesizer ever. 1975.
Now I believe you're fucking with me.
What's up ?

No, true. I saw the first use of a guitar synth ever.

If you think you are up to it.

They were jammin for sure.
Ralphe Armstrong is a monster on bass...he did some work with Jean Luc Ponty and
some others I know.

Is that an effect or a synth?
I have an amp that has all the effects you'd want built in, a Line 6 Vetta. It's a very well built amp however I wouldn't advise anyone buy their products today because their support is abysmal.

I'd love to try a Roland synth someday. I was on the verge of getting the pickup for it and installing it on my guitar. The six individual pickups (hexaphonic) are used for Roland synths. A current GR55 and maybe an older one depending on how the COSM models in the newer synth sounds.
My interest in guitar synths began way back in 1966 with the Vox organ guitar. It used the strings and frets as a big set of switches that emulated a keyboard to control the sounds. I think it was frought with all sorts of technical glitches and realiability problems however so it never really got off the ground. Good in concept but poor in execution.

Is that an effect or a synth?
I have an amp that has all the effects you'd want built in, a Line 6 Vetta. It's a very well built amp however I wouldn't advise anyone buy their products today because their support is abysmal.

I'd love to try a Roland synth someday. I was on the verge of getting the pickup for it and installing it on my guitar. The six individual pickups (hexaphonic) are used for Roland synths. A current GR55 and maybe an older one depending on how the COSM models in the newer synth sounds.
My interest in guitar synths began way back in 1966 with the Vox organ guitar. It used the strings and frets as a big set of switches that emulated a keyboard to control the sounds. I think it was frought with all sorts of technical glitches and realiability problems however so it never really got off the ground. Good in concept but poor in execution.
A guitar player back in high school (mid 70's) had one of these in his basement jam room that he played through a Marshall 100 w 4x12 stack with a Gibson Les Paul, but I don't think he used it onstage with the band. As for details about it, some other guys would probably know more about the history than me. This was one of the cutting edge pre-digital delay/echo effects ( or synthesizers) I'm pretty sure.

Boss multi-effects processors are great. You can make almost any amp sound good with one of these.
I had a Digitech one that I liked because of the drum machine presets ( if you like being a one man band ) which really helped develop my timing and less boring than a metronome. I like the boss GT 100 which I've only scratched the surface of what all it can do, but I can see why most professional guitarists use a standard pedal board that enables easier (less complicated) control of everything.
joes-pedalboard-290x197.jpg

If you want to be a good guitar player, at first, less effects is better.
Anyone can push buttons and turn knobs.

Last edited:
I'll stick with old reliable...
My 1938 custom Popeye wind up.
il_fullxfull.234369935.jpg
Music box? Can you also put strings on the uke?
Well, it looks stringable except the tuning pegs appear to be missing
but judging from the 4 holes at the bottom it must have had strings at one time.

Would make a cool stage prop or something to hang in the pool room.

Forum List

Back