What's with eggs, when did they start shrinking

Camp

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2013
I bought some large eggs yesterday. I usually buy the extra large, but those have seemed like only large size compared to what they used to be. So, I went to make some hardboiled eggs and opened the box marked large and couldn't believe how small they were. Is the egg industry getting over on us? I raised layers a few times and I know how to produce large and extra large eggs, even eggs with double yokes. Should I contact the egg industry and tell them how to do it?

I bought some large eggs yesterday. I usually buy the extra large, but those have seemed like only large size compared to what they used to be. So, I went to make some hardboiled eggs and opened the box marked large and couldn't believe how small they were. Is the egg industry getting over on us? I raised layers a few times and I know how to produce large and extra large eggs, even eggs with double yokes. Should I contact the egg industry and tell them how to do it?

BINGO. I noticed that too, about maybe three weeks ago. I habitually buy "large" in the same package from the same source, and they got visibly smaller. Got to cooking more three-egg omlettes but eventually I went to another store, cashed in a rain check and bought "Extra Large" eggs for at least a temporary respite. And they're even smaller.

There's no doubt it's going on, but what's behind it is another question.

I'm sure it has something to do with the Illuminati and one-world Bilderbergism. Obviously the inevitable result of the Kennedy assassination. This is exactly what the backwards messages on "Why Don't We Do It In the Road" were warning us about. :tinfoil:

Running dog capitalist pigs cut the wages of GLORIOUS peoples chickens, who are holding back on egg sizes.

:lol:

Chicken egg sizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Egg sizes haven't changed since they were established.

who doesn't check eggs before purchase?

Uh -- nobody, including the cashier who checks you out. You can check for breakage, and you notice the shrinking size when you do, but there's nothing you can do about it except not buy eggs.

And THAT is not an option. :nono:

You have choices, Camp. Keep ducks or chickens in your yard for fresh eggs, buy from someone who does, or look inside the container before you buy it at the grocery store.

You have choices, Camp. Keep ducks or chickens in your yard for fresh eggs, buy from someone who does, or look inside the container before you buy it at the grocery store.

They're ALL small at the grocery store. I think that's the point.
The size stamped on the boxes hasn't changed. The size on the eggs has.

Must be evolution, eh? Meanwhile, you want eggs, and you don't like the little ones at the store? Grow your own.

Must be evolution, eh? Meanwhile, you want eggs, and you don't like the little ones at the store? Grow your own.

:lame2:

Sizing of Eggs
Size tells you the minimum required net weight per dozen eggs. It does not refer to the dimensions of an egg or how big it looks. While some eggs in the carton may look slightly larger or smaller than the rest, it is the total weight of the dozen eggs that puts them in one of the following classes:

Size or Weight Class Minimum net weight per dozen
Jumbo 30 ounces
Extra Large 27 ounces
Large 24 ounces
Medium 21 ounces
Small 18 ounces
Peewee 15 ounces

The above is from the USDA website. Apparently, the phenomenon is that eggs are getting HEAVIER.
LOL

Sizing of Eggs
Size tells you the minimum required net weight per dozen eggs. It does not refer to the dimensions of an egg or how big it looks. While some eggs in the carton may look slightly larger or smaller than the rest, it is the total weight of the dozen eggs that puts them in one of the following classes:

Jumbo 30 ounces
Extra Large 27 ounces
Large 24 ounces
Medium 21 ounces
Small 18 ounces
Peewee 15 ounces

The above is from the USDA website. Apparently, the phenomenon is that eggs are getting HEAVIER.
LOL

I'm pretty good at judging weight by feel. If I had a sensitive enough scale and had known in advance to weigh the size they were a month or two ago, I'm confident I could prove they're smaller in every dimension.

At least around here that's the case. I don't know where the OP lives but I had already noticed it before this thread went up, and was consciously altering my shopping because of it.

who doesn't check eggs before purchase?
I did check them for breakage, but guess I wasn't paying attention to size. The store was out of extra large and jumbo's. Guess I'll start going to the farm down the road. Only a mile away and I get produce there anyhow.

You didn't find the evolution line funny? Fine. But lame. No. Anyhoo. Even people in cities keep chickens or ducks for eggs. Meanwhile you are moaning over SMALL EGGS AT THE STORE.

Why are you upset anyway? Noted nutrition expert michelle obama says we should eat less. Smaller eggs. Less food. Now. Let's move!

Last edited:
Sizing of Eggs

Jumbo 30 ouncesson had
Extra Large 27 ounces
Large 24 ounces
Medium 21 ounces
Small 18 ounces
Peewee 15 ounces

LOL

I'm pretty good at judging weight by feel. If I had a sensitive enough scale and had known in advance to weigh the size they were a month or two ago, I'm confident I could prove they're smaller in every dimension.

At least around here that's the case. I don't know where the OP lives but I had already noticed it before this thread went up, and was consciously altering my shopping because of it.
I have a student who raises chickens. I will ask him what makes chickens lay smaller eggs. Do you suppose it has something to do with the problems with contamination and disease they've had on some chicken farms/processing plants? Tyson had trouble last winter, I believe.

Lame? Wrong. Even people in cities keep chickens or ducks for eggs. Meanwhile you are moaning over SMALL EGGS AT THE STORE.

Why are you upset anyway? Noted nutrition expert michelle obama says we should eat less. Smaller eggs. Less food. Now. Let's move!
You can't sell us medium size eggs at large or extra large prices! And if you bake, the size of eggs can make a difference in a recipe.
This needs to be reported and stopped, if it's true. It may not be the end of the world but c'mon. If they're medium size eggs, don't try to charge us an extra 30 cents for them. We aren't stupid.

Lame? Wrong. Even people in cities keep chickens or ducks for eggs. Meanwhile you are moaning over SMALL EGGS AT THE STORE.

Can't we even talk about the changing size of eggs at the market without bringinG partisan politics into the discussion?
Food producers and packages have been playing with sizes for quite some time now. Instead of a pould you get 14 oz's, etc. I just didn't realize the egg people were jumping in on the bandwagon. Now I know and will adjust and adapt. My main concern was how the egg sizes relate to baking and other cooking recipes.

Can't we even talk about the changing size of eggs at the market without bringinG partisan politics into the discussion?
Food producers and packages have been playing with sizes for quite some time now. Instead of a pould you get 14 oz's, etc. I just didn't realize the egg people were jumping in on the bandwagon. Now I know and will adjust and adapt. My main concern was how the egg sizes relate to baking and other cooking recipes.
Lighten up, Camp. Gotta go. My little ducks lay big eggs. I'm gonna whip up an omelette for dinner.

Im glad I have chickens. lol
What breed? I always liked Rhode Island Reds and fed them a diet high in corn to get big eggs. Got lots of double yoke eggs when I fed them almost total corn. I know they have special feeds for egg layers but I never tried it. Grew plenty of corn.

Forum List

Back