What's up with the Nobel Prize?

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
For those of us who remember the first time we heard Bob Dylan it is almost comical that he has been awarded the Noble Prize for literature. Dylan would probably agree; it’s not that Dylan isn’t a great song writer and story teller-that goes without saying. But the award seems to say more about the rudderless, confused state of the Nobel Prize committee than it does about Dylan. Indeed, we cannot be critical of Dylan for this. He wasn’t campaigning for the award and he is probably still laughing.

The Nobel Committee is mostly made up of a group of aging baby boomers and one wonders if senility may happen earlier and more severely in Scandanavia than it does in the world at large. Let’s not forget that in 2009 the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Barack Obama, a man whose academic past was created out of pure fiction who was the first man to be elected president of the United with Black skin. He apparently won the award for hanging out with hooligans that bombed police stations and killed innocent people with homemade explosives. The Nobel committee saw Obama as the perfect choice for world peace.

What are people being exposed to in Scandanavia that is apparently affecting brain function?

I watched a documentary on Tom Petty once and the interviewer asked: You've won a lot of awards where do you display them? Petty's wife rolled her eyes and Petty said they're right here. He opened up a closet door and they all fell out in a pile on the floor. I have a feeling Dylan feels the same way about awards which is why he is ignoring the Nobel committee.

I don't disagree about the about some of the decisions the board has made but I think Dylan getting the award is legit. Literature has taken a hit in these times and many of the books that get awards are absolute jokes. It doesn't matter what Dylan thinks. When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose.

Forum List

Back