What to do if you are involved in a Self Defense Shooting.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
This thread is tangentially associated with the now famous McMichaels shooting in Georgia. One of the things they did that was stupid was talk to the Police afterwards. I went to a local shop I visit about once a week or so. Inside, I talked to one of the clerks about this situation, and the major mistake made after the shooting. I told him that I belonged to a group that is sort of like an insurance policy for gun owners. It is called USCCA and what they say to do, is say as little as you can get away with legally to the Police after a shooting.

I gave the scenario that he was armed, and someone robs the joint. The baddie turns to go and then the clerk pulls the weapon and fires. Ok, now why did he fire would be important. What he tells the cops he was thinking/feeling is liable to make the difference on if he is charged, or not. A simple misstatement might see you charged as well. If he says he didn’t want the baddie to leave, that changes the flavor of the shooting from defensive, to aggressive, and that would be bad. The only reason to fire is I was afeared for my life, or the lives of other innocents. A lawyer would help you with that.

So what should you do? Burying the body in the backyard is not a good choice. So let’s get realistic. What you should do is exactly the same thing the Cops do. Say nothing at the scene. Make sure the cops see the scene undisturbed, and then ask for a lawyer. Because if a cop is involved in a shooting, before he gives a statement he talks to a lawyer. And that is a cop with far greater authority than you have as a normal civilian.

USCCA does provide the most important thing during that period. They provide money for a lawyer. The lawyer makes sure the story you tell the police, the truth, is phrased exactly right to insure you don’t spend years in prison for your actions. A misstatement, or a statement twisted by the police or the Prosecutor to confuse you could see you charged with a crime.

The Police are not your friend. Remember they don’t talk to each other after a shooting, so why should you talk to them?

If you are curious, check out the United States Concealed Carry Association. USCCA: Self-Defense Knowledge, Training, & Legal Protection

If you don‘t want to join, than read the blog and get some idea of what you might be facing if you use a firearm in self defense.

Final note. I am not debating the shooting in Georgia. The entire point of this is what you should do in a self defense shooting. If you talk to the police, chances are you will talk your way right into prison.

This thread is tangentially associated with the now famous McMichaels shooting in Georgia. One of the things they did that was stupid was talk to the Police afterwards. I went to a local shop I visit about once a week or so. Inside, I talked to one of the clerks about this situation, and the major mistake made after the shooting. I told him that I belonged to a group that is sort of like an insurance policy for gun owners. It is called USCCA and what they say to do, is say as little as you can get away with legally to the Police after a shooting.

I gave the scenario that he was armed, and someone robs the joint. The baddie turns to go and then the clerk pulls the weapon and fires. Ok, now why did he fire would be important. What he tells the cops he was thinking/feeling is liable to make the difference on if he is charged, or not. A simple misstatement might see you charged as well. If he says he didn’t want the baddie to leave, that changes the flavor of the shooting from defensive, to aggressive, and that would be bad. The only reason to fire is I was afeared for my life, or the lives of other innocents. A lawyer would help you with that.

So what should you do? Burying the body in the backyard is not a good choice. So let’s get realistic. What you should do is exactly the same thing the Cops do. Say nothing at the scene. Make sure the cops see the scene undisturbed, and then ask for a lawyer. Because if a cop is involved in a shooting, before he gives a statement he talks to a lawyer. And that is a cop with far greater authority than you have as a normal civilian.

USCCA does provide the most important thing during that period. They provide money for a lawyer. The lawyer makes sure the story you tell the police, the truth, is phrased exactly right to insure you don’t spend years in prison for your actions. A misstatement, or a statement twisted by the police or the Prosecutor to confuse you could see you charged with a crime.

The Police are not your friend. Remember they don’t talk to each other after a shooting, so why should you talk to them?

If you are curious, check out the United States Concealed Carry Association. USCCA: Self-Defense Knowledge, Training, & Legal Protection

If you don‘t want to join, than read the blog and get some idea of what you might be facing if you use a firearm in self defense.

Final note. I am not debating the shooting in Georgia. The entire point of this is what you should do in a self defense shooting. If you talk to the police, chances are you will talk your way right into prison.

Everyone involved in any such scenario involving the police deserves proper representation and fairness. I hope most shootings are avoidable than not, but clearly that isn't always the case.

Except for those pesky videos showing what really happened.

Videos are subject to interpretation. A lot of times, they don't catch everything. I know a police officer, who a number of years ago, got into trouble for allegedly brutalizing a suspect physically. They actually tried to have him fired, but what the people didn't realize was that the suspect insulted the police officer's mother, accusing the woman of engaging in prostitution. Needless to say, they let the officer go. The charges that were made against mom were untrue.

A shooter definitely should remember his right to remain silent in a situation like the Brunswick incident. That's why there are lawyers, to smooth this kind of shit over.

Roll em up in the rug call Pasquale and chop up the body? Lol

Bernie Geotz biggest mistake.....he turned himself in

Charles Bronson didn't make the same mistake in Death Wish. He just let the body lay, and strode out of the subway

leave-no-witnesses.jpg

Bernie was carrying an illegal firearm. Nothing he did was going to be considered legal. No matter the situation.

The best advice is to mind your manners and don't point a gun at some stranger that you "think" did something wrong. I don't know how it has come about that anyone with a gun thinks that s/he is entitled to stop another person on the street who is pursuing normal activities and question this person. There is no right to be a vigilante, and no one is required to stop and answer questions put to them by a nosy stranger. This basically amounts to being kidnapped at gunpoint.

Videos are subject to interpretation. A lot of times, they don't catch everything. I know a police officer, who a number of years ago, got into trouble for allegedly brutalizing a suspect physically. They actually tried to have him fired, but what the people didn't realize was that the suspect insulted the police officer's mother, accusing the woman of engaging in prostitution. Needless to say, they let the officer go. The charges that were made against mom were untrue.
You know that's absolutely pathetic right? Our law enforcement officers are supposed to be professionals and one who loses his cool because someone insults his mother doesn't possess the qualities needed to be a porfessional law enforcement officer, in my opinion.

You know that's absolutely pathetic right? Our law enforcement officers are supposed to be professionals and one who loses his cool and brutalizes a suspect because he insults his mother doesn't possess the qualities needed to be a porfessional law enforcement officer, in my opinion.

I used to have coverage with USCCA and received their monthly magazine as well. My circumstances changed however and that was one of the expenses I cut out to meet my budget. However when I attempted to restart my subscription they indicated that they are not allowed to operate in Washington state due to some complaint filed with our Insurance Commission.

It's been about a year since then so I don't kow if they ever got things worked out. If they have I'd still like to renew my services with them and for my workers as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Bernie was carrying an illegal firearm. Nothing he did was going to be considered legal. No matter the situation.
There is a great, but rather dark episode of Netflix's "Black Mirror" that touches on this topic of eliminating witnesses but bwith a real twist. It's called "Crocodile".

The best advice is to mind your manners and don't point a gun at some stranger that you "think" did something wrong. I don't know how it has come about that anyone with a gun thinks that s/he is entitled to stop another person on the street who is pursuing normal activities and question this person. There is no right to be a vigilante, and no one is required to stop and answer questions put to them by a nosy stranger. This basically amounts to being kidnapped at gunpoint.

Again, this thread is not intended to debate the shooting in Georgia. There are lots of threads with that topic, and I have posted the laws that were broken. I encourage you to read those threads.

I was speaking more along the lines of incidents like this.

A justified shooting where the bad guys entered the woman’s home. Also in Georgia I might add.

Again, this thread is not intended to debate the shooting in Georgia. There are lots of threads with that topic, and I have posted the laws that were broken. I encourage you to read those threads.

I was speaking more along the lines of incidents like this.

A justified shooting where the bad guys entered the woman’s home. Also in Georgia I might add.

I was speaking in general, and did not refer to the killing in Georgia, which did not involve a home invasion. There recently was an attempted home invasion in North Carolina, where an armed man, accompanied by an armed mob, wedged his foot in the door of a home occupied by a woman and her son and demanded entry. Should this woman have had a gun and just shot this criminal and his accomplices?

The only reason to fire is I was afeared for my life, or the lives of other innocents.
Afraid = paranoid, mentally ill. Guns are banned.
"My life," lives of others? Oh, you're a danger to your self or others due to your grave mental disability, and you'll have to be committed to a mental institution for your own safety and the safety of others who might be harmed as a result of your delusional thinking disorder.
A lawyer would help you with that.
Sure. A good lawyer always asks for a mental health evaluation by order of the court before representing a client in a gun case.
The Police are not your friend.
No, they're not. Got fingerprints? DNA?Concealed carry permit? They're already working up a cold-case frame-up job and getting a jury picked out to lynch you on a cocked-up murder charge in a capital punishment state. You may not have ever even been in that state in your life, let alone at the time of the alleged murder, but they have a cloud of witnesses who "come forward" on cue.

It just happens to be a little bit more work to frame you on a murder charge than it it is to have you committed to a mental institution for life and revoke your gun rights.

Remember, there is no possible defense in court against a mental health civil commitment as there is for a criminal accusation, even though the consequences are the same: you serve hard time and lose gun rights for life.

The only reason to fire is I was afeared for my life, or the lives of other innocents.
Afraid = paranoid, mentally ill. Guns are banned.
"My life," lives of others? Oh, you're a danger to your self or others due to your grave mental disability, and you'll have to be committed to a mental institution for your own safety and the safety of others who might be harmed as a result of your delusional thinking disorder.
A lawyer would help you with that.
Sure. A good lawyer always asks for a mental health evaluation by order of the court before representing a client in a gun case.
The Police are not your friend.
No, they're not. Got fingerprints? DNA?Concealed carry permit? They're already working up a cold-case frame-up job and getting a jury picked out to lynch you on a cocked-up murder charge in a capital punishment state. You may not have ever even been in that state in your life, let alone at the time of the alleged murder, but they have a cloud of witnesses who "come forward" on cue.

It just happens to be a little bit more work to frame you on a murder charge than it it is to have you committed to a mental institution for life and revoke your gun rights.

Remember, there is no possible defense in court against a mental health civil commitment as there is for a criminal accusation, even though the consequences are the same: you serve hard time and lose gun rights for life.

Odd. Reasonable fear is something that anyone would feel. If someone admits to a fear of falling from the top of a skyscraper are they mentally ill? Or is it only gun owners?

Forum List

Back