What States Comprise the Midwest?

Which of these do you consider Midwest States...

• Ohio

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michigan

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Indiana

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Illinois

• Wisconsin

• Minnesota

• Iowa

• Missouri

• Arkansas

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • North Dakota

• South Dakota

• Nebraska

• Kansas

• Oklahoma

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Some folks call states I would consider Great Lakes States, Southern States and even Great Plains States...Midwestern States or The Midwest.

Is there a consensus among us as what comprises "The Midwest"?

Now I'm sure someone can post a definitive list...but that's not the point.

I'm interested in what each individual means when they use the term "Midwest".

Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wiscaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahnsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri.

The Dakotas/Nebraska/Kansas are the "Plains states". I'd have to put Oklahoma there too although it's one of the few states I've never been to.

Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas never were. The first is part of the South, the second, let's call it Appalachia West, and Arkansas is kinda hybrid-South. "Midwest" does largely include Great Lakes states, but then New York and Pennsylvania also border Great Lakes and they're not Midwest -- while Iowa does not border one, so "Great Lakes states" would be a separate bag.

Of course, there was a time long ago and not far away when these were "the West" so it's all relative.

Last edited:
Is there a consensus among us as what comprises "The Midwest"?

I'm pretty sure this is the Midwest. It pretty much follows the Central Time Zone. Other states are northern states, Northeast, Mid Atlantic, the South, the West, and the Northwest.

US MAP.jpg

I grew up in Okiehoma an they used to call it a Great Plains state and then changed to the South Western state.

Forum List

Back