what should I be when I grow up?

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
I need to decide here real soon what I am going to major in and I have no clue.
At first I was going to be nurse but even though they are in demand I decided I don't want to do that. I just have no clue especially with the economy the way it is.

If you've finished more than 2 years, you may be on your way to a science major, you could always teach. As you said though, would have to 'hurry' if you want to get finished close to 4 years, need ed courses and student teaching.

If you want into business, like pharma, concentrate on chemistry.

If you've finished more than 2 years, you may be on your way to a science major, you could always teach. As you said though, would have to 'hurry' if you want to get finished close to 4 years, need ed courses and student teaching.

I took some other pre recs for nursing but non of the sciences because it was impossible to get into them because I have the high numbers of students. I have three history classes under my belt so I was kind of leaning towards teaching.I have like a quarter and a half until I have two years done.

I took some other pre recs for nursing but non of the sciences because it was impossible to get into them because I have the high numbers of students. I have three history classes under my belt so I was kind of leaning towards teaching.I have like a quarter and a half until I have two years done.

LOL! I teach social studies. Way back when I double majored in sociology and political science-figuring on international law. Got married instead. Three children and a divorce later, decided teaching was the way to go. Picked up history major/literature endorsement. I love teaching, though opening in social studies are not plentiful. If you have a science minor to add to the social studies, you'd be much more marketable.

You have plenty of time to change major. Just make sure you knock off all the pre-reqs. Use the last two years to pack in as many courses in major/minor areas as possible. I can't believe the number of new teachers that only do the minimum number to 'hit' the major/minor requirement, the list of courses and diversity within discipline are considered upon hiring reviews.

BTW, the number of geography courses in most universities will NOT give you endorsement in geography. Ditto with economics, if you want to teach mostly in that field, take the extra courses.

Simply because I've now three majors, so I had to pick up lots of electives to remain full time I've endorsements in:

American History (AP); Western Civilization (AP); Far East studies (AP), Near East studies (AP); geography; economics; sociology (AP); political science (AP); American Literature; British Literature; journalism (5-9); Language Arts (5-9).

thanks for all the advice, I think I have been pretty diverse so far. Luckly I got some stuff I can carry over from when I was younger.

Annie is right.

Social studies teachers are not much in demand.

If you want a job teaching in that field, learn to coach football, first.

Find a career with the federal government. Only sector of the economy that is booming.

In all seriousness, if you like medicine why not consider being a nurse practitioner? They make great money and I predict there will be a huge demand in the near future.

Good luck Luissa. I didn't figure it out until I was 30.

Find a career with the federal government. Only sector of the economy that is booming.

In all seriousness, if you like medicine why not consider being a nurse practitioner? They make great money and I predict there will be a huge demand in the near future.

I thought I knew. Then as the years went by the industry I was in became dull and complacent, so age 40 I decided to change. Not easy if you like the money you're making.

Good luck Luissa.

At first I was going to be nurse but even though they are in demand I decided I don't want to do that. I just have no clue especially with the economy the way it is.

Each day of your life is one less day to do what you love to do.

Find that, go for that, don't stop to get that.

Each day I rise to do what I love.

The single most important career is one that you enjoy doing.
Chances are, the economy is going to look very different by the time you finish school, so don't make your decision based upon the current economy.

I will be 30 in a year and one month!:lol:

accounting, or something in health care.

1) A professional clown - will keep you young at heart. People always need a good laugh.

2) A painter - Leave your colorful expression for the world to see.

3) A professional internet forum poster - while the pay is not great, you get to put internet tough guys in their ignorant place.

4) Doctor of Veterinary Medicine - Hard to have a bad day when you get paid to hang out with puppy dogs and kitty cats.

5) Author - Using your words to effectuate and inspire change and reflection in the hearts and lives of others.

** No matter what others may suggest to you, you need to find out what makes your soul sing and spend your life creating choruses of your life. Your career should be an extension of some part of you. Think of a career as a relationship. They are not meant to make us who we are. They are meant to enhance who we already are.

Even though there is a mixture of jocularity and truth in the beginning of my post, i hope you will focus on the latter part.

I hate math and I have a short attention span so accounting is out, for one I get bored easily!:lol:
Health care is my fall back!
I am thinking teaching or Parks and Rec. I worked for Park and Rec all together about eigth years here doing many different things. I like working outside.

I hate math and I have a short attention span so accounting is out, for one I get bored easily!:lol:
Health care is my fall back!
I am thinking teaching or Parks and Rec. I worked for Park and Rec all together about eigth years here doing many different things. I like working outside.

i would say parks and rec. you have experience, so they won't have to train you as much. Teaching takes forever to get into from what i hear unless you like physics (math is a must for it).

here in washington teaching is very hard to get in to especially in spokane which is a teacher's mill!
If I do teaching I will be moving after college, which is what I want to do anyways. I need to live somewhere else for awhile, see the new things. Teaching might make me do that!

I said law, mainly because I kick myself for not pursuing it... :redface:

But, they say if you like what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.

If I went into law I wouldn't be done for along time. My thing is I need to start providing a better life for my son here real soon. Plus right now I have no medical because the state only give mother's health insurance for 18 months after their child is born and I don't get medical through my job. It is my choice to give up medical so I can go to college I know but I need to get it over with so I can start to get real benefits.

Forum List

Back