What policies should be implemented to address racism in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antisemitism was and is certainly a problem, but your experience actually points out a key difference: they canā€™t tell that you are Jewish. For most black people it is obvious at first glance unless they are light skinned. Slight diversion here, but did you ever see a movie called ā€œPassingā€?
No, I never saw that movie.

As far as knowing whether we are Jewish by looks, you canā€™t know for sure of course, although sometimes you get a sense of it. But to antisemites who donā€™t want to hire, or housing covenants that prevented Jews, itā€˜s apparent with many if not most last names.

But are we back to how much worse blacks have it? Not today, they donā€™t, nor have they for decades. They are prioritized for college admissions over better qualified students, and very often for jobs and promotions - certainly in any liberal Coastal city.

Jews have no such advantages. We got to where we are, as a group, by valuing education and not having babies out of wedlock. (Look up the Yiddish word ā€œshondeā€ as to how thatā€™s looked upon.)

YAWNā€¦ā€¦. No, they havenā€™t. Let the Govā€™t tell immigrantā€™s of today they share the blame even of those who donā€™t have family ties to slavery or who may be immigrants themselves and there will be a Civil War
More meritless excuses. And yes the Native Americans receive federal funding annually. Again, this is not just about slavery. Understand that.

How is that any different than the reparations given to Jews after WW2? In that case, as well, it is not the original generation paying, but succeeding ones who werenā€™t even born when it happened. I used to be against the idea, but listening to people and reading made me rethink it. And, there are many people still alive who lived under Jim Crowe, it isnā€™t ancient history.

I think this article sums it up well.

In both the case of Germany and the US, reparations call on a nation dividedā€”made up of citizens who mostly didnā€™t directly participate in the crimeā€”to apologize and pay for it. In 1985, German president Richard von WeizsƤcker made the case for intergenerational responsibility and solidarity in a powerful speech. ā€œThe vast majority of todayā€™s population were either children then or had not been born,ā€ he said. ā€œBut their forefathers have left them a grave legacy. All of us, whether guilty or not, whether old or young, must accept the past. We are all affected by its consequences and liable for it.ā€

ā€¦ā€There can be no atonement or material compensation for a crime of such immense and horrifying magnitude,ā€ it read. But according to Judaismā€™s own religious and philosophical thought, ā€œreparations are not punitive,ā€ writes American rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz, who makes the case for slavery reparations in Yes Magazine. ā€œTheyā€™re restorative.ā€
How is it different??? The only Jews to get reparations from Germany were the ones who survived - after an inhumane struggle nobody should ever go through again. If the U.S. still has living slaves, who survived being whipped and beaten and treated like cattle, THEN Iā€™d say we owe them too.

The Jews who ā€œmerelyā€ lost their entire families from a safe distance - as my grandmother did - didnā€™t get a penny. And that was in the same generation! So why should blacks, four and five generations removed who never even met their slave relatives, get a penny?

As far as knowing whether we are Jewish by looks, you canā€™t know for sure of course, although sometimes you get a sense of it. But to antisemites who donā€™t want to hire, or housing covenants that prevented Jews, itā€˜s apparent with many if not most last names.

But are we back to how much worse blacks have it? Not today, they donā€™t, nor have they for decades. They are prioritized for college admissions over better qualified students, and very often for jobs and promotions - certainly in any liberal Coastal city.

Jews have no such advantages. We got to where we are, as a group, by valuing education and not having babies out of wedlock. (Look up the Yiddish word ā€œshondeā€ as to how thatā€™s looked upon.)
Please stop repeating this racist crap. There are black Jews. Jews are a religion, you are white.

I donā€™t think it is a question of better or worse, you are comparing two very different but equally evil situations. We shouldnā€™t be putting the historical experiences of one group against the other, or the present day ones. It isnā€™t a competition.

How is that any different than the reparations given to Jews after WW2? In that case, as well, it is not the original generation paying, but succeeding ones who werenā€™t even born when it happened. I used to be against the idea, but listening to people and reading made me rethink it. And, there are many people still alive who lived under Jim Crowe, it isnā€™t ancient history.

I think this article sums it up well.

In both the case of Germany and the US, reparations call on a nation dividedā€”made up of citizens who mostly didnā€™t directly participate in the crimeā€”to apologize and pay for it. In 1985, German president Richard von WeizsƤcker made the case for intergenerational responsibility and solidarity in a powerful speech. ā€œThe vast majority of todayā€™s population were either children then or had not been born,ā€ he said. ā€œBut their forefathers have left them a grave legacy. All of us, whether guilty or not, whether old or young, must accept the past. We are all affected by its consequences and liable for it.ā€
The ONLY people guaranteed Reparations are Holocaust survivors . Are there others? Yes, but cerium conditions have to be met The Holocaust is still ā€œ recent History ā€œ
Itā€™s been 77 years. There are still survivors. Ann Frank may even have still been alive. Slavery ended in 1865. Youā€™re trying to infer that 80 years from now EVERYONE who had a distinct relative who died in the Holocaust would be entitled to reparations. That is false I wonder what Otto Frankā€™s family got? ( Just one example)

The ONLY people guaranteed Reparations are Holocaust survivors . Are there others? Yes, but cerium conditions have to be met The Holocaust is still ā€œ recent History ā€œ
Itā€™s been 77 years. There are still survivors. Ann Frank may even have still been alive. Slavery ended in 1865. Youā€™re trying to infer that 80 years from now EVERYONE who had a distinct relative who died in the Holocaust would be entitled to reparations. That is false I wonder what Otto Frankā€™s family got? ( Just one example)
Again, it is not just about slavery. Furthermore there are whites with the same attitudes denying people of color equal opportunity wile claiming how they weren't around for slavery.

I donā€™t think it is a question of better or worse, you are comparing two very different but equally evil situations. We shouldnā€™t be putting the historical experiences of one group against the other, or the present day ones. It isnā€™t a competition.
Except you made it that way when you said that Jews were not in as bad a position as blacks because they werenā€™t necessarily known to be Jewish, whereas blacks are known to be black.

And Iā€™m not making it a competition. Iā€™m explaining why your parallel of Holocaust survivors getting reparations is not comparable to blacks, generations removed from slavery. Holocaust survivors suffered physical (and psychological) damage that lasted them the rest of their lives. My step-grandfather was a Holocaust survivor, and he could never eat more than a couple of mouthfuls of food at a meal, and had to eat small amounts frequently to get enough nutrition. Even so, he never weighed more than 135 pounds at 5ā€™10. Now can you say blacks alive today suffered that type of torment? NO.

In 1964 the Civil Rights Act was passed and in 1965 the voting rights act. Emancipation was short lived and those freedoms quickly curtailed by new laws. The effects of slavery and itā€™s legacy was multi-generational. 57 years Since the voting rights act was passed. I think that there is a need for reparations here as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Except you made it that way when you said that Jews were not in as bad a position as blacks because they werenā€™t necessarily known to be Jewish, whereas blacks are known to be black.

And Iā€™m not making it a competition. Iā€™m explaining why your parallel of Holocaust survivors getting reparations is not comparable to blacks, generations removed from slavery. Holocaust survivors suffered physical (and psychological) damage that lasted them the rest of their lives. My step-grandfather was a Holocaust survivor, and he could never eat more than a couple of mouthfuls of food at a meal, and had to eat small amounts frequently to get enoight nutrition. Even so, he never weighed more than 135 pounds at 5ā€™10. Now can you say blacks alive today suffered that type of torment? NO.
White Jews aren't in the same position as blacks. You ignore a lot of things to twist yourself into a victim. You are white and if you had suffered ANYTHING close to what we have, you would not have the attitude you do now. The issue today is about continuing white racism but white privilege allows those like you to ignore the continuing racism that has crippled generations of blacks after slavery to include blacks living right now.

In 1964 the Civil Rights Act was passed and in 1965 the voting rights act. Emancipation was short lived and those freedoms quickly curtailed by new laws. The effects of slavery and itā€™s legacy was multi-generational. 57 years Since the voting rights act was passed. I think that there is a need for reparations here as well.
Weā€™ve given blacks priority over better-qualified whites for two generations in college and grad school admissions, and many have taken advantage of that to move into upper-middle class comfort. In the DC area, there are upscale stores, restaurants, and of course the ubiquitous McMansions, and black people (especially on the MD side) are enjoying all these things.

Thatā€™s reparations enough. Remember - for every black person admitted to a prestigious educational program over a white person who was the superior student, a white student paid the price.

It took until the mid 1980's for America to come to complete compliance with the CRA relative to government agencies. Private businesses still violate the law.

I live in a small city in England, raised on a council estate like my black school boy friends of the same age.
they were 1st generation Jamaican Brits.
At school and in life they were raised and educated to the same level I was. In fact they got better educated because I was in the autistic band, I was a very slow learner.
My black friends received the same job prospects as I did, we all applied for the same jobs, many of them got the jobs I applied for in the engineering sector.
Honestly I do see them around the city, I chat to them freely, I can call them friends because they are, I grew up with them.
Because we all at school were educated to the more or less same level we had more or less the same chances of getting the apprenticeships, or the foot in the door of employment.
I honestly believe colour had no part in it in getting employed, the employer wants the best person to fill that space in the companyā€¦.thatā€™s the truth.

Weā€™ve given blacks priority over better-qualified whites for two generations, and many have taken advantage of that to move into upper-middle class comfort. In the DC areas, there are upscale stores, restaurants, and of course the ubiquitous McMansions, and black people (especially on the MD side) are enjoying all these things.

Thatā€™s reparations enough.

That has not happened. There are 20 million black families, 400,000 are writh at least 1 million. 19.6 million are not. There are 7 black billionaires. Blacks are 13 percent of the population but control 2.7 percent of the wealth. Blacks ate told to start businesses but black businesses earn 1/2 of 1 percent of all business receipts. Less than 1/4 of 1 percent of all publicly traded companies in America are black owned. None of these things happen because blacks have unwed births.

"Even after completing undergraduate and graduate degrees, black and Hispanic workers earned less than non-Hispanic white workers with the same, or often less, education."
- Roy Eduardo Kokoyachuk, ThinkNow Research

This isn't happening because blacks and Hispanics aren't focusing on education. It's time to stop ducking and dodging the problem.

Notice you have NO response to my answer Re: the Holocaust. Not surprising. You canā€™t blame others for the past. What do you say to those whose Ancestors werenā€™t here or they werenā€™t? Who decides who gets them? Those who immigrated here have a right to them? Donā€™t think so

Again, it is not just about slavery. Furthermore there are whites with the same attitudes denying people of color equal opportunity wile claiming how they weren't around for slavery.
So immigrants who have Nothing to do with the past or their ancestors should ā€œ pay?ā€ Black immigrants coming from other Countries are entitled? Donā€™t think so šŸ˜€

Well, it is true in terms of overt prejudice. It is pretty hard to hide skin color.

And Iā€™m not making it a competition. Iā€™m explaining why your parallel of Holocaust survivors getting reparations is not comparable to blacks, generations removed from slavery. Holocaust survivors suffered physical (and psychological) damage that lasted them the rest of their lives. My step-grandfather was a Holocaust survivor, and he could never eat more than a couple of mouthfuls of food at a meal, and had to eat small amounts frequently to get enough nutrition. Even so, he never weighed more than 135 pounds at 5ā€™10. Now can you say blacks alive today suffered that type of torment? NO.

Iā€™m not going to argue who had it worse, because both situations are horrificā€¦to say otherwise kinda marginalizes one or the otherā€™s suffering, like I said it isnā€™t a competition.

But are there those alive who suffered? Yes.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
How is it different??? The only Jews to get reparations from Germany were the ones who survived - after an inhumane struggle nobody should ever go through again. If the U.S. still has living slaves, who survived being whipped and beaten and treated like cattle, THEN Iā€™d say we owe them too.

The Jews who ā€œmerelyā€ lost their entire families from a safe distance - as my grandmother did - didnā€™t get a penny. And that was in the same generation! So why should blacks, four and five generations removed who never even met their slave relatives, get a penny?
Goes into one ear and out the other

I live in a small city in England, raised on a council estate like my black school boy friends of the same age.
they were 1st generation Jamaican Brits.
At school and in life they were raised and educated to the same level I was. In fact they got better educated because I was in the autistic band, I was a very slow learner.
My black friends received the same job prospects as I did, we all applied for the same jobs, many of them got the jobs I applied for in the engineering sector.
Honestly I do see them around the city, I chat to them freely, I can call them friends because they are, I grew up with them.
Because we all at school were educated to the more or less same level we had more or less the same chances of getting the apprenticeships, or the foot in the door of employment.
I honestly believe colour had no part in it in getting employed, the employer wants the best person to fill that space in the companyā€¦.thatā€™s the truth.
That's not the case in America.

It doesn't appear to be the case in the UK either. There is always the I'm white and a couple of my black friends are doing OK so race is not a problem story.

Notice you have NO response to my answer Re: the Holocaust. Not surprising. You canā€™t blame others for the past. What do you say to those whose Ancestors werenā€™t here or they werenā€™t? Who decides who gets them? Those who immigrated here have a right to them? Donā€™t think so
I was composing a response. You arenā€™t the only person I am conversing with here. IMO, those who came here post Civil Rights would not get reparations. Who gets them would have to be worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back