What musicians do you believe are overrated ?

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
First of all, rap and death metal are not music in my opinion so I don't even count those. Country, I really am not familiar enough with to say. So just from my own experience, having grown up in the 60's and 70's, I could think of more than a few, but here goes. These are my top 5 overrated musicians and bands. ( no offense anyone.... to each their own ) Feel free to contribute anything you want... I must have hurt a few feelings with this list;
1) Neil Young (good song writer, bad singer and terrible lead guitar player)
2) Rolling Stones ( 2 good albums but not worthy of super-stardom)
3) Mötley Crüe ( Van Halen wannabes wearing Kiss makeup )
4) George Thorogood ( the least bad to the bone guitarist I've ever seen)
5) Bruce Springsteen ( fun guy to have a beer with I'm sure, but "The Boss"?
give me a break.....Boss of what, looking cool holding a guitar ? )

Last edited:
Bruce Springsteen is number one on my list!

Reo Speedwagon also come in second place...

Then all boy bands!

First of all, rap and death metal are not music in my opinion so I don't even count those. Country, I really am not familiar enough with to say. So just from my own experience, having grown up in the 60's and 70's, I could think of more than a few, but here goes. These are my top 5 overrated musicians and bands. ( no offense anyone.... to each their own ) Feel free to contribute anything you want... I must have hurt a few feelings with this list;
Take Rolling Stones off your list. Girls liked the Beatles, boys liked the Stones. I had their 8 track tape-best ever. Its easier to list under rated performers.

This is my wife's little list of my music she's hated in the past....
We compromise on stuff like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steve Winfield, smooth jazz, R&B, but she can't stand
Megadeth ( orange-hair guy she calls them)
Judas Priest
Mariah Carey ( thinks I'm in love with her)
Whitney Houston (her too .....rip Whitney)
Armored Saint ( who is this ? they suck")

you know....in my humble opinion when it comes to music...good or bad....they are all trying to do their best....

in other words ....it's a good cause LOL....better than being a gangster you know?

I'm not going to poo poo them

hey but that's just me.

I don't know who played the lead guitar on Down By the River", whether it was Neil Young or Danny Whitten, but if it was Young, he's not overrated.

I'm not even sure what Neil Young's rating is (or by whom) but Down By the River is one bad-ass rock song, and lead guitar is classic, to where thousands of young rock guitarists learned how to play lead guitar just from that one long song.

I always liked Joe Walsh with the Eagles, but since I heard he's been reduced to driving for Uber Eats, I'm not so sure any more.

Forum List

Back