What level of prepper are you?

enough cash to buy needed stuff when the power is out
That depends on the Fed’s monetary and fiscal policy.

Money? If there is no electricity and no reason to believe it will be back on anytime soon, money quickly becomes worthless. Banks cannot function and will be closed. Retail outlets will quickly close because they depend on scanners to read prices and credit cards and record sales. We would be back to a barter society.

I grew up in Hurricane country. In Florida you never know what the weather will do. And keeping emergency equipment in a vehicle is common sense. Commercial vehicles are required too. My family has been isolated with out phone or utilities for close to a month.
Ate turtles. catfish and swamp cabbage, from the woods and creek behind our property. So I put my self at 2.5 on the scale.
so true!

Money? If there is no electricity and no reason to believe it will be back on anytime soon, money quickly becomes worthless. Banks cannot function and will be closed. Retail outlets will quickly close because they depend on scanners to read prices and credit cards and record sales. We would be back to a barter society.

In the very beginning money will be useful.

In the very beginning money will be useful.
Most analyst have cash as important for the first 24-48 hours. After that... it is fire starter.

Putting labels on people is a lot easier than understanding them and the term "prepper" has become a cliche. How about people who dig storm shelters in tornado alley? You could call them preppers but they really aren't. I like to keep 5 gallons of gas or more to fuel a generator in case the grid goes down. City folks will probably never get it but people in rural areas often stock up with groceries and water when a big storm is imminent.

To me being prepared is far more about location, knowledge and experience than storage. Doesn't much matter what you have stored unless the location is survivable and readily reachable. It seems to me that in a serious SHTF situation cities are probably the lest survivable areas no matter what you have storied there. A survivable location is one where food and water are easily obtainable. If you cannot live off the land you will not survive. Do you have the skills to keep yourself and others fed warm and secure? Do you know how to butcher and preserve meat and can you hunt and fish (preferably with equipment you made yourself)? Do you know edible plants? Can you start a fire without matches or lighter?
Food water and money are not high on my list of things to store. Tools, building materials, medical supplies, weapons, ammunition, fish hooks, lots of rope, duct tape, spices and condiments, and super glue are more my speed. Fish hooks, needles & thread and .22LR ammo would probably be worth more than their weight in gold and are easily transported and/or stored and far more in demand than money.

Forum List

Back