What Legislation Do We Need to get Work Refusniks off the Couch?

An employer shouldn't have to pay for his or her education. The employer and employee both benefit from the job, and the employee benefits for their educational investment.

I agree whole heartedly, but that's not how American companies work. It's all about the bottom line. People don't stay with the same companies forever, like our parents did, so corporations now take the view that they're giving you an education so you can move up and out of the company.

There is no evidence of poor people doing better if you give them less

There is considerable evidence that poor people do much better with more money. That $500 a month pilot program in Oakland found that after one year the families given the extra help were more financially stable, and less stressed than when the program started.

A much higher percentage of this group had found full-time work, than those who didn't receive the additional help. Without the stress of making ends meet and putting food on the table, these people had more time and energy to focus on upgrading skills, and finding work.

The USA has some of the highest rates of poverty, in the first world, and is #2 in the first world in elder poverty. In the richest nation in the world. I just about choked on my dinner when Joe Biden said Medicare recipients would have their drug costs capped at $2000. Holy crap!!! My drugs costs are capped at $100 through OHIP. And if I have less than $22,000 per year in income, I can get that waived too.

I am insisting that employers provide the skills they demand

They are YOUR employees
YOU train them not the taxpayer
Who’s this “YOUR“ you’re talking to? I’m retired.

And employers should not have to absorb the cost of educating engineers, architects, accountants, microbiologists, whatever, which requires four years of college, at a minimum.

You libs are really clueless:

1) Why should someone who wants to be an architect have SOMEONE ELSE pay for his education, and then he is poised to earn a six-figure income. His investment in his own education means he will enjoy a comfortable, upper-middle class lifestyle.

2) The employer wouldn't ultimately pay anyway. The increased compensation costs would be passed on to Jane and Joe Public. As usual, you libs are looking to force OTHER individuals to pay for everyone else’s college education.

What a sad country libs are turning us into - where everyone thinks SOMEONE ELSE should cover their expenses.

Maybe you need a size 12 boot up your ass to kick you out of the nest.
There is no reason you cannot work, many people who live with social anxiety and depression
still work and pay their bills.
Sadly, most normal people (Normies) do not understand people with Asperger's (Aspies).

What kind of discrimination do you mean? Obama was elected president just 14 years ago
There is still discrimination against African Americans in USA.

African American people know more about Racism in USA. I know more about anti-Semitism in Russia. It is still not as bad as Racism in USA.

This thread isn’t about disabled people. It’s about able-bodied people who are taking money from taxpayers toward their rent and food while refusing to take a job.
Sadly, many able-bodied people have severe mental disabilities.

No sane person would be so depressed as to use drugs.

Man of Ethics

i said able-bodied, which would mean mental or physical. I am talking about healthy people who refuse to take a job, for months on end, and Instead happily take rent assistance and other welfare benefits paid for by taxpayers.
I am not sure there are many such people.

I do not believe any person without severe mental condition would use narcotics.

The answer is NOT increasing the minimum wage, as I see signs all over the place offering $17 and $18 an hour to run a cash register or restock clothes on shelves. The answer is to stop giving taxpayer money away to people able to work and who simply feel jobs are beneath them.

1. Any adult not working a full-time job and living with a parent in a six-figure household should be exempt welfare-type benefits:

a) I know a young mother, now divorced, who moved in with her mother (a GS 14), who not only gets child support for her two children, as she should, she also gets food stamps, Medicaid for her kids, and a host of other benefits. She works one day a week, as a fill-in receptionist for a vet.

b) I also know a woman in her 50s, who lives with her parents, both of whom are retired government professionals with a six-figure pension. She too gets food stamps, and works two afternoons a week at the library.

2. Any parent in a two-parent household, where neither is working, should get no welfare. I know a couple (with kids) where both refuse to get a job, saying what’s available is beneath them, and they are getting rent relief, food stamps, Medicaid, and so forth.
Maybe you should keep your nose on for face instead of sticking it into other people's business, Aunt Martha.

Driving those

Blame the universities as their costs have not increased.

How have universities been immune from increasing costs? You mean their heat, power and utilities haven't gone up. Land costs are the same, as are construction and maintenance costs for their buildings? Salaries for administrative and teaching staff is the same???? Health insurance for employees????

Are you seriously suggesting that costs for these institutions haven't gone up?????

There is still discrimination against African Americans in USA.

African American people know more about Racism in USA. I know more about anti-Semitism in Russia. It is still not as bad as Racism in USA.
What sort of discrimination?

The bigotry of low expections?

Blacks have a bad reputation that only they can fix

How have universities been immune from increasing costs? You mean their heat, power and utilities haven't gone up. Land costs are the same, as are construction and maintenance costs for their buildings? Salaries for administrative and teaching staff is the same???? Health insurance for employees????

Are you seriously suggesting that costs for these institutions haven't gone up?????
Not in proportion to their tuition.
The professors still make about 95K like 20 years ago.
But you're too stupid to know that.

Why isn’t business investing in their work force? They surely benefit from it

Not as much as the individual employee is. What's next, the employer provide day care, food, gasoline for your car to get to work? Why not a house as well?

The bigger question is …

How much does the employer make off of his education?
Probably ten times that amount

Let the employer provide the skills he demands

Fine. We both own widget companies. You pay for the education of your workers, and I'll hire workers that already have the education needed to do the job. How long do you think it will take me to put your company out of business?

Fine. We both own widget companies. You pay for the education of your workers, and I'll hire workers that already have the education needed to do the job. How long do you think it will take me to put your company out of business?
OK

Why is society paying to educate workers that YOU make a profit off of?

Forum List

Back