What kind of sci fi show would anger the red blooded reality show watching NFL loving people of suburban America?

The shows usually depict an all too plausible scenario where society refused to effectively deal with some crisis or had a stupid war that consumed the world. That's conservatism all the way. I can't say what the future holds but if our society collapses it will be from dumbasses doing everything they can to avoid dealing with the problems of the future.

Except for the movie Serenity where the key problem is attempts by the government to secure their power and control by making the public passive.

The gas they used to do so on the new world either made the people not want to do anything like play, work, eat or drink, and they starved to death ...
Or the slight percentage that didn't die, turned into mindless lunatics that roamed space and cannibalized anyone and anything they could find.

And all because they believed they could make people "Better".

Of course you probably wouldn't like it ...
The hero fought in the Rebellion against the Federation until the Rebellion was defeated, and then he became a smuggler.

I Aim To Misbehave ...

Last edited:
The shows usually depict an all too plausible scenario where society refused to effectively deal with some crisis or had a stupid war that consumed the world. That's conservatism all the way. I can't say what the future holds but if our society collapses it will be from dumbasses doing everything they can to avoid dealing with the problems of the future.

Except for the movie Serenity where the key problem is attempts by the government to secure their power and control by making the public passive.

The gas they used to do so on the new world either made the people not want to do anything like play, work, eat or drink, and they starved to death ...
Or the slight percentage that didn't die, turned into mindless lunatics that roamed space and cannibalized anyone and anything they could find.

And all because they believed they could make people "Better".

Of course you probably wouldn't like it ...
The hero fought in the Rebellion against the Federation until the Rebellion was defeated, and then he became a smuggler.

I Aim To Misbehave ...

Seen it. Space opera like that is entertaining but only idiots see something like that as a plausible future. In the real future we are trapped on an increasingly uninhabitable planet with a bunch of greedy jackasses.

Seen it. Space opera like that is entertaining but only idiots see something like that as a plausible future. In the real future we are trapped on an increasingly uninhabitable planet with a bunch of greedy jackasses.

I can see why you favor the greedy jackass scenario, as it fits your generally fucked up view of how things either need to be, or already are.
Of course that doesn't make me an idiot, as much as it makes you about useless in providing a better vision, and finding a more suitable outcome.

Star Trek economy was about as egalitarian as it comes. People worked to be better versions of themselves not for material needs. Maybe we’ll get there.

Yes, that's what they claimed. But, if you watch episodes of the show, nothing could be further from the truth.

The 'Star Trek' universe is an oligarchy or the most blatant kind.

You seem to be unaware of what the south looked like before the new deal.

When settlers left the East to settle the deserts and scrubs of The West, they had nothing in the way of infrastructure save what they built themselves.

If you find yourself living in a place where you cannot make a decent living and have no chance of making a decent life for your heirs, you don't need a taxpayer-funded mega works project, you need a U-Haul.

I can see why you favor the greedy jackass scenario, as it fits your generally fucked up view of how things either need to be, or already are.
Of course that doesn't make me an idiot, as much as it makes you about useless in providing a better vision, and finding a more suitable outcome.

My vision is that we are probably fucked. We don't have to be fucked but much of the world's monetary wealth depends on nothing changing. If we cannot reach actual sustainability the clock is ticking on how long we survive as a species.

My vision is that we are probably fucked. We don't have to be fucked but much of the world's monetary wealth depends on nothing changing. If we cannot reach actual sustainability the clock is ticking on how long we survive as a species.

Then we agree that you are useless, your vision is completely fucked, and not worth pursuing, which is what I said in the first place.

Then we agree that you are useless, your vision is completely fucked, and not worth pursuing, which is what I said in the first place.

You haven't said anything of value yet.

In the 40s-50s my parents were thanking God and Roosevelt for the first real paychecks

That doesn't say a lot for your parents...

View attachment 503753
That could easily be a picture of either of my parent's family. What's it to you?

My father was a sharecropper until the 1950s.

There is nothing wrong with sharecropping. It's honest labor. Does your father thank the government for his first paycheck as well?
Funny you should say that. When he left the Army in 1945,, he worked for the TVA. So did my uncle when he left the Navy the same year.

If your father and uncle were in the war, then they need not thank government for their pay. The government should be thanking them.
Did you miss the part about the TVA?

I meant "we" as in the entire human race but you knew that.

The human race has survived catastrophe after catastrophe, many natural, many more of our own doing.

I have high hopes that, as a species, we will endure. Individually, we are smart, adaptable, and inventive in a way that no other species on Earth has ever been.

It would take a lot more than a hot summer or cold winter to doom us to extinction.

The human race has survived catastrophe after catastrophe, many natural, many more of our own doing.

I have high hopes that, as a species, we will endure. Individually, we are smart, adaptable, and inventive in a way that no other species on Earth has ever been.

It would take a lot more than a hot summer or cold winter to doom us to extinction.

I always wonder if we have been stuck in a cycle, because we aren't moving at break-neck speed to explore space.
There have been a lot of advances in the past few years, and the private sector is getting interested.

Perhaps it just happens a bit slower in the grand scheme of things.

I meant "we" as in the entire human race but you knew that.

We are way better at finding new ways to fuck things up than figuring out ways to clean up our messes.

Forum List

Back