"What I’ve Learned From Collecting Stories of People Whose Loved Ones Were Transformed by Fox News"

An essay by writer Luke O'Neil that expounds on the recent phenomenon of FOXNEWS radicalizing it's viewers.

From the article...

No matter where the stories came from they all featured a few familiar beats: A loved one seemed to have changed over time. Maybe that person was already somewhat conservative to start. Maybe they were apolitical. But at one point or another, they sat down in front of Fox News, found some kind of deep, addictive comfort in the anger and paranoia, and became a different person — someone difficult, if not impossible, to spend time with. The fallout led to failed marriages and estranged parental relationships. For at least one person, it marks the final memory he’ll ever have of his father: “When I found my dad dead in his armchair, fucking Fox News was on the TV,” this reader told me. “It’s likely the last thing he saw. I hate what that channel and conservative talk radio did to my funny, compassionate dad. He spent the last years of his life increasingly angry, bigoted, and paranoid.”

Dozens who responded to my piece talked about the sad lonely twilight of their parents’ or grandparents’ lives, having been spurned by, or having disowned much of their families over political disagreements. Older people, recent studies have shown, are much more likely to share misleading information online, but the anecdotes I was hearing seemed to indicate this behavior wasn’t limited to the internet. Young parents wrote that they don’t want to bring their children to visit aging Fox-brainers. “The worst is when my children go to spend time with their grandparents and come home with Fox News talking points coming out of their mouths,” one told me. “I have to decontaminate them every time.”

Another person told me that Rush Limbaugh sent his father on the path to isolation before eventually mainlining Fox News on a regular basis. Eventually, out of the blue, his mother filed for divorce. “He was crushed, couldn’t understand why, and took comfort in drinking while watching his friends on TV. She is happier than I have ever seen her and he is sad and angry living in the basement of a rented house, still watching The Five, Tucker Carlson, Jeanine Pirro, etc.”

A lot of the stories echoed that turning point. There was something about Obama that seemed to make a lot of previously apolitical or moderate family members lose their minds. Gosh — what could it have possibly been?

The entire article: What I’ve Learned From People Whose Loved Ones Were Transformed by Fox News

It seems that practically all the USMB self-professed Conservatives and Republicans are already radicalized, and have been for some time now, however, how many of the rest of you have or are experiencing anything like this w/your loved ones?

That would be interesting to know.
Don't forget climate change. I'm sure you can make a case for FOX news causing climate change too.:finger3:

An essay by writer Luke O'Neil that expounds on the recent phenomenon of FOXNEWS radicalizing it's viewers.

From the article...

No matter where the stories came from they all featured a few familiar beats: A loved one seemed to have changed over time. Maybe that person was already somewhat conservative to start. Maybe they were apolitical. But at one point or another, they sat down in front of Fox News, found some kind of deep, addictive comfort in the anger and paranoia, and became a different person — someone difficult, if not impossible, to spend time with. The fallout led to failed marriages and estranged parental relationships. For at least one person, it marks the final memory he’ll ever have of his father: “When I found my dad dead in his armchair, fucking Fox News was on the TV,” this reader told me. “It’s likely the last thing he saw. I hate what that channel and conservative talk radio did to my funny, compassionate dad. He spent the last years of his life increasingly angry, bigoted, and paranoid.”

Dozens who responded to my piece talked about the sad lonely twilight of their parents’ or grandparents’ lives, having been spurned by, or having disowned much of their families over political disagreements. Older people, recent studies have shown, are much more likely to share misleading information online, but the anecdotes I was hearing seemed to indicate this behavior wasn’t limited to the internet. Young parents wrote that they don’t want to bring their children to visit aging Fox-brainers. “The worst is when my children go to spend time with their grandparents and come home with Fox News talking points coming out of their mouths,” one told me. “I have to decontaminate them every time.”

Another person told me that Rush Limbaugh sent his father on the path to isolation before eventually mainlining Fox News on a regular basis. Eventually, out of the blue, his mother filed for divorce. “He was crushed, couldn’t understand why, and took comfort in drinking while watching his friends on TV. She is happier than I have ever seen her and he is sad and angry living in the basement of a rented house, still watching The Five, Tucker Carlson, Jeanine Pirro, etc.”

A lot of the stories echoed that turning point. There was something about Obama that seemed to make a lot of previously apolitical or moderate family members lose their minds. Gosh — what could it have possibly been?

The entire article: What I’ve Learned From People Whose Loved Ones Were Transformed by Fox News

It seems that practically all the USMB self-professed Conservatives and Republicans are already radicalized, and have been for some time now, however, how many of the rest of you have or are experiencing anything like this w/your loved ones?

Wow. When you have to justify people disagreeing with you to some boogeyman brainwashing, it just shows how either 1)shallow you are, or 2) how weak your mental support for your own views are.

The person who wrote this should look in the mirror, I would bet dollars to donuts it's their own inability to interact with people not as orthodox as they are that caused the splits, not Fox News.

But if it takes a boogeyman to help them ignore their own insecurities and issues, then so be it.

Yes, shoot the messenger. That’s what Fox News tells you. Everyone is lying, but them.

Every survey ever conducted has shown that FOX News viewers have little to no idea of what current events have occurred, and what knowledge they do have, is wrong. FOX viewers know less than viewers of satirical comedy news shows.

A Rigorous Scientific Look Into The 'Fox News Effect'

Of course no one on FOX will share these little nuggets with you fools.

Ok, I don't remember conservatives ever pressuring companies to pull their ads in an attempt to get Rachel Maddow fired but they do it to Hannity all the damn time. So, who's shooting the messenger?

Wow. When you have to justify people disagreeing with you to some boogeyman brainwashing, it just shows how either 1)shallow you are, or 2) how weak your mental support for your own views are.

The person who wrote this should look in the mirror, I would bet dollars to donuts it's their own inability to interact with people not as orthodox as they are that caused the splits, not Fox News.

But if it takes a boogeyman to help them ignore their own insecurities and issues, then so be it.
You must be a speed reader dude...WoW...I'm IMPRESSED!

Once you get through the first few paragraphs it looks like any other bubble person not understanding people disagreeing with them.

No it doesn’t. It’s saying that FOX News, who admit they tell their viewers what they want to hear, facts be damned, are brainwashing people with their relentless fear, paranoia, racial and political divisiveness, to the point that their grandparents are becoming embittered, angry and families are abandoning them because they talk like right wing USMB posters.

They don’t want their children exposed to their older relatives because they come home from grandpa’s house spouting FOX News talking points.

Many of my American friends and relatives have reported similar problems with their elderly parents.

As we age, we physically slow down. I couldn't get around in the ice and snow this winter, For the first time so I watched more TV, than usual. Mostly sports, and HBO. Some older people are spending all day watching watching frightening stories of Trump’s apocalyptic view of life in America and conspiracy theories and are being radicalized by the content they’re viewing.

Rupert Murdoch isn’t giving the right a voice in America, he’s selling viewers an agenda HE wants enacted. All of the things that FOX accuses the left of doing, of creating “sheeple” is actually happening to the elderly and shut ins watching FOX News all day.

Donald Trump is one of them. His whole “Caravan” story and his obsession with Caravans began with a FOX Documentary of caravans of refugees banding together for safety, travelling to the US Border.

Remember when he talked about that “what happened in Sweden last night” after watching an alt-right documentary on Muslims in Sweden on FOX the night before.

Nothing defines Donald Trump more than fear, paranoia and hate.

You must be a speed reader dude...WoW...I'm IMPRESSED!

Once you get through the first few paragraphs it looks like any other bubble person not understanding people disagreeing with them.

No it doesn’t. It’s saying that FOX News, who admit they tell their viewers what they want to hear, facts be damned, are brainwashing people with their relentless fear, paranoia, racial and political divisiveness, to the point that their grandparents are becoming embittered, angry and families are abandoning them because they talk like right wing USMB posters.

They don’t want their children exposed to their older relatives because they come home from grandpa’s house spouting FOX News talking points.

Many of my American friends and relatives have reported similar problems with their elderly parents.

As we age, we physically slow down. I couldn't get around in the ice and snow this winter, For the first time so I watched more TV, than usual. Mostly sports, and HBO. Some older people are spending all day watching watching frightening stories of Trump’s apocalyptic view of life in America and conspiracy theories and are being radicalized by the content they’re viewing.

Rupert Murdoch isn’t giving the right a voice in America, he’s selling viewers an agenda HE wants enacted. All of the things that FOX accuses the left of doing, of creating “sheeple” is actually happening to the elderly and shut ins watching FOX News all day.

Donald Trump is one of them. His whole “Caravan” story and his obsession with Caravans began with a FOX Documentary of caravans of refugees banding together for safety, travelling to the US Border.

Remember when he talked about that “what happened in Sweden last night” after watching an alt-right documentary on Muslims in Sweden on FOX the night before.

Nothing defines Donald Trump more than fear, paranoia and hate.
You need some serious help lol

From the article...

Yes, shoot the messenger. That’s what Fox News tells you. Everyone is lying, but them.

Every survey ever conducted has shown that FOX News viewers have little to no idea of what current events have occurred, and what knowledge they do have, is wrong. FOX viewers know less than viewers of satirical comedy news shows.

People on Fox News lie all the time Marie Harf just said peope are fleeing Latin countries because of climate change lol hahahahab

FOX also says that climate change is a hoax so what’s she’s really saying is that there is no REAL threat to these people. They’re afraid of something that isn’t really happening.

If FOX were to tell their viewers that these refugees are fleeing the two most violent countries in the world. That American-based drug gangs have taken taken over these countries, and are killing the men and raping their wives and daughters, then their viewers might have some sympathy for those seeking asylum. They’d stop viewing them as an “infestation” and start saying maybe we should help them.

They’d understand why so many families are risking the trip. Trump doesn’t want brown people to be characterized as anything but an invading hoard.

From the article...

People on Fox News lie all the time Marie Harf just said peope are fleeing Latin countries because of climate change lol hahahahab

FOX also says that climate change is a hoax so what’s she’s really saying is that there is no REAL threat to these people. They’re afraid of something that isn’t really happening.

If FOX were to tell their viewers that these refugees are fleeing the two most violent countries in the world. That American-based drug gangs have taken taken over these countries, and are killing the men and raping their wives and daughters, then their viewers might have some sympathy for those seeking asylum. They’d stop viewing them as an “infestation” and start saying maybe we should help them.

They’d understand why so many families are risking the trip. Trump doesn’t want brown people to be characterized as anything but an invading hoard.
It is a hoax democrats will never control my production.. understand?

From the article...

Democrats aren’t trying to control anyone. They’re trying to uphold the freedoms of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness the Founders intended for ALL of the people, not just the rich white Christian males.

And in order for anyone to “control your production”, you’d have to produce something of value other than lies and propaganda for the troll farm.

Democrats aren’t trying to control anyone. They’re trying to uphold the freedoms of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness the Founders intended for ALL of the people, not just the rich white Christian males.

And in order for anyone to “control your production”, you’d have to produce something of value other than lies and propaganda for the troll farm.
Climate change laws give democrats complete control of all production in America... that will never happen we will run you off this land with blood hounds, you won’t hide. If you try you will regret it..

Thank you .. now go away before it’s to late

BAKE THAT FUCKING CAKE, PEASANT.

NO PLASTIC BAGS FOR YOU

MEN CAN GO INTO WOMEN'S BATHROOMS OR ELSE

Awful lot of control there....

The right has FOX NEWS. The left has everything else.

Exactly. Fox News is a drop of water in an ocean of Democrat supporting, Liberal/Progressive propaganda. Also,NBC Fox has several Lefties on staff, and always has a representative guest from the Left to present their side. It is as fair, and balanced as you are going to get in the Media. They are leaning farther left all the time as well. Their hosts that do opinion shops like Hannity and Tucker TELL YOU it isn't news, but conservative OPINION. CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, NYT, Washpo, AP, Reuters, etc. DON'T tell you. They lie and say it is the "NEWS".

From the article...

I legit am looking for this punk in Boston as week speak I’ll have a video up soon of him begging for mercy

From the article...

Your link gets its 'facts' from Quora which I could not access without 'signing up.' In any case from YOUR link....

"those who listed Fox News as one of their news sources had overall lower levels of knowledge on the factual questions. Fox viewers were less likely to know the capital of Canada, the religion of the Dalai Lama, or the size of the Federal budget. They couldn't find South Carolina on map or name the second digit of pi."

Do you realize what bullshit that is? ^^^^^^^^^

From the article...

Your link gets its 'facts' from Quora which I could not access without 'signing up.' In any case from YOUR link....

"those who listed Fox News as one of their news sources had overall lower levels of knowledge on the factual questions. Fox viewers were less likely to know the capital of Canada, the religion of the Dalai Lama, or the size of the Federal budget. They couldn't find South Carolina on map or name the second digit of pi."

This is an actual study conducted by an esteemed institution, versus your opinion.

From the article...

This is an actual study conducted by an esteemed institution, versus your opinion.

It's still bullshit....I can read and what I read is crap....I pointed it out as well. Moreover those who watch/listen and believe the MSM actually believe our President is a Russian spy. Let's do a survey of those dunderheads.

From the article...

Hate to tell you I am fiscal Conservative and social Liberal and you are more radical than me.

Its true dumb dumb.

Last edited:
This ass hat I found out is in Boston, I’m sending him messages to see if he wants to talk shit about conservatives to my face.. I guess as a waiter he used to spot in our food..

Its true dumb dumb.

No it's bullshit to use a liberal sewer like Quora to somehow 'prove' that Fox viewers are dumb. You seem to have totally missed the point here.

Forum List

Back