What is your favorite musical instrument ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Now before anybody starts jumping off the topic, we are talking about musical INSTRUMENTS, OK ?

So it's not about performers, or bands, or songs.

I will start this by naming my favorite which is the mandolin. I know it's just the little brother of the much more prestigious violin, but when I commonly reach for one of the 5 instruments that I play, it ordinarily is the mandolin.

Maybe it's because of the more robust sound and feel it has, relative to the guitar. It's also more comfortable to hold, even leaning back in my recliner, and it doesn't take nearly as much effort to play, as my violin.

And although fiddle double stops are identical to mandolin ones, there just is nothing like sliding into a tremolo double stop. And there's a variety of them to choose from.

Now before anybody starts jumping off the topic, we are talking about musical INSTRUMENTS, OK ?

I will start this by naming my favorite which is the mandolin. I know it's just the little brother of the much more prestigious violin, but when I commonly reach for one of the 5 instruments that I play, it ordinarily is the mandolin.

Maybe it's because of the more robust sound and feel it has, relative to the guitar. It's also more comfortable to hold, even leaning back in my recliner, and it doesn't take nearly as much effort to play, as my violin.

And although fiddle double stops are identical to mandolin ones, there just is nothing like sliding into a tremolo double stop. And there's a variety of them to choose from.

th

The guitar, acoustic or electric. A close second would be piano.

To me, here's something bold and definitive about the notes coming from a piano. Other instruments do it beautifully too but the piano does it best.

I love my Stratocaster, My Gibson Les Paul is a great mistress though

That said I think all musical instruments are unique and great in their own way.

I have come to learn that it's not the instrument as much as it is the music that matters

I took piano lessons for three or four years when I was kid. I can still play it some. The fiddle is the instrument that I wish that I could play, but sadly it already isn't easy to learn and with me being the left handed person that I am, that only makes it harder to learn which is also why I have never learn how to play anything like the guitar either.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I took piano lessons for three or four years when I was kid. I can still play it some. The fiddle is the instrument that I wish that I could play, but sadly it already isn't easy to learn and with me being the left handed person that I am, that only makes it harder to learn which is also why I have never learn how to play anything like the guitar either.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Left handed guitars are readily available and are no harder to learn than right handed guitar

I happen to be a lefty who plays a right handed guitar

It's actually quite common for leftys to play a right hand guitar

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

God bless you always!!!

Holly
If you learn to play the mandolin (has same tuning as the violin) which is much easier to play than the violin, then all the fingering you do with your right hand, will already be learned from the mandolin, when you go to play the violin (fiddle).

So then, you are free to concentrate all your energy on the bow, in your left
hand. As a music teacher of both instruments, I recommend that all beginner violin students purchase both a violin and a mandolin, learn scales and some tunes on the mandolin, and then graduate to the violin. Try it, you'll like it. :biggrin:

I started playing trumpet right after I saw Louis Armstrong on The Ed Sullivan show. I was around 12.

Shortly after that, I saw The Beatles also on The Ed Sullivan show and started playing the guitar.

Been hacking away at both ever since but cannot say which of the two is my favorite.

Forum List

Back