What is the main difference between Republicans and Democrats?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021

It used to be a different approach to government. Democrats believe the role of the government is to help people directly.

Republicans believe the government should have as little impact on people's life as possible and let free market capitalism sort it out.

Now. I believe it is more about Democrats believing a watered-down version of what I stated and Republicans opposing it, or anything else Democrats believe in. Policy vs anti-policy.

This is oversimplified but I think basically correct.

• Banned
It used to be a different approach to government. Democrats believe the role of the government is to help people directly.

Republicans believe the government should have as little impact on people's life as possible and let free market capitalism sort it out.

Now. I believe it is more about Democrats believing a watered-down version of what I stated and Republicans opposing it, or anything else Democrats believe in. Policy vs anti-policy.

This is oversimplified but I think basically correct.
To put it even more simply, it will be something like this:

Democrats are supporters of slavery and communist totalitarianism in the economy, and Republicans are economic liberals in the spirit of the Austrian school of economy.

right?

Last edited:
To put it even more simply, it will be something like this:

Democrats are supporters of slavery and communist totalitarianism in the economy, and Republicans are economic liberals in the spirit of the Austrian school of economy.

right?
No not right! The Democrats believe and always have believed in Capitalism. There are no Communist in any position of leadership within the Democratic party let alone supporters of economic slavery.

Democrats believe the government can and should regulate the excesses of Capitalism. Like for instance they believe that everybody has the right to affordable health care and the government in Austria insures they have it. Unlike in the US.

• Banned
No not right! The Democrats believe and always have believed in Capitalism. There are no Communist in any position of leadership within the Democratic party let alone supporters of economic slavery.
I said that I was simplifying. This is semi-communism under the label of a welfare state, almost the whole world has now adopted this particular system.

• Banned
and the government in Austria
I was referring to the Austrian economists who opposed the intervention of the state and the bankocracy in the economy. This has nothing to do with the current Austrian political regime.

I was referring to the Austrian economists who opposed the intervention of the state and the bankocracy in the economy. This has nothing to do with the current Austrian political regime.

Republicans make decisions based on common sense, reason and facts.
Democrats make decisions based on how they feel at any given moment.

Prototypical democrats: AOC and her squad, Schumer, Bernie, the Xiden WH disaster and catastrophic policies, also include the democrats in the House and Senate.

Prototypical republicans: Trump, Pence, Pompeo, Nikki Haley, Dan Crenshaw, Jim Jordan, Tom Cotton, Hawley, Ted Cruz, Ron Desantis, all the GOP governors, senators, and congressmen.

One big difference between democrats and republicans is that republicans are pro-business and democrats are clueless. Here is one example:
1. Amazon wanted to build HQ2 in NYC, in a blighted area that is in AOC's district
2. That HQ2 mega-project would have turned a blighted area into an architectural wonder
3. Cuomo said it would gain NY state about $28b a year in new tax revenue
4. It would gain NYC 25,000 new well paying jobs with full benefits
5. AOC killed HQ2 and it moved to VA. Democrats are MORONS.

1633424522286.png
This is what AOC could have had, but..

1633424472759.png
The moron chose to keep this instead

Attachments

• 1633424424648.png
    1633424424648.png
    77 KB · Views: 26
I said that I was simplifying. This is semi-communism under the label of a welfare state, almost the whole world has now adopted this particular system.
You weren't simplyfying . You were using hyperbole in order to make a caricature of the the Democratic position. Something that I've noticed is almost a Pavlovian reflex by those on the right when discussing the Democratic position on the role of government. In my opinion its at best intellectual laziness in order to not spend the time to have an honest discussion about it. At worst a recognition that Republicans know that they can't successfully defend their position on merit.

You posed an interesting, open, and non-biased question in your OP. It's disappointing that it took you 1 reply completely forego that.

As to the welfare state being semi-communism. Every Western government has a form of a welfare state. The difference between the US and most other nations is one of degree. Most nations find that the wealth gap should be contained within certain limits and uses taxation to control it. The US simply doesn't do that.

Communism doesn't recognise Capitalism at all.

When you refer to the "Austrian school of economy" I will have a hard time taking from that that you mean a single Austrian economist

Prototypical democrats: AOC and her squad, Schumer, Bernie, the Xiden WH disaster and catastrophic policies, also include the democrats in the House and Senate.

Prototypical republicans: Trump, Pence, Pompeo, Nikki Haley, Dan Crenshaw, Jim Jordan, Tom Cotton, Hawley, Ted Cruz, Ron Desantis, all the GOP governors, senators, and congressmen.

One big difference between democrats and republicans is that republicans are pro-business and democrats are clueless. Here is one example:
1. Amazon wanted to build HQ2 in NYC, in a blighted area that is in AOC's district
2. That HQ2 mega-project would have turned a blighted area into an architectural wonder
3. Cuomo said it would gain NY state about $28b a year in new tax revenue
4. It would gain NYC 25,000 new well paying jobs with full benefits
5. AOC killed HQ2 and it moved to VA. Democrats are MORONS.

View attachment 547686 This is what AOC could have had, but..

View attachment 547685 The moron chose to keep this instead

She knows she would have been voted out if her district improved that much socioeconomically. That's why she did that. It wasn't out of stupidity, it was very much on purpose.

You posed an interesting, open, and non-biased question in your OP. It's disappointing that it took you 1 reply completely forego that.
No, I'm just trying to understand. I got the impression that this is just a game for the audience, and there are no fundamental differences.
Communism doesn't recognise Capitalism at all.
This is a common misconception. Communism is the last stage of capitalism. People usually confuse capitalism with a free market, these are fundamentally different concepts. Capitalism is monopolization, it is opposed to the free market.

As to the welfare state being semi-communism. Every Western government has a form of a welfare state. The difference between the US and most other nations is one of degree. Most nations find that the wealth gap should be contained within certain limits and uses taxation to control it. The US simply doesn't do that.
I think they also do it in the USA, maybe by other means.
In any case, social benefits in the United States are no less than in other countries.
There are many financial control mechanisms, they do not have to be initiated by law.

No, I'm just trying to understand. I got the impression that this is just a game for the audience, and there are no fundamental differences.

This is a common misconception. Communism is the last stage of capitalism. People usually confuse capitalism with a free market, these are fundamentally different concepts. Capitalism is monopolization, it is opposed to the free market.
Politics is a game of sorts. And you aren't even completely wrong with stating that there are few fundamental differences. But only to a point. The base ideology is fundamentelly different.

The problem is the way and especially the cost of getting elected. An American politician is either funded by industry (who expect to get favours in return) or the public. Who give more money out of anger then they do out of a sense off ideology.

This means actually making good policy decisions is not the best way to get and keep the job.

Last edited:
There is a big philosophical difference between the parties but there is no difference for establishment politicians from either side since they believe government exists to enrich and empower themselves. Today the establishment is in control and that's bad for the worker and taxpayer.

Forum List

Back