What is the Chief Justice's Roll in Impeachment?

Will the Chief Justice kill the impeachment trial before it begins?

• Yes- Judaical review and Constitutionality will be checked.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No- This will be allowed without judicial review.

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top Of The Great Divide

As I was reading threads today I looked it up. The Chief Justices roll in Impeachment is to be an impartial judge, giving equal scrutiny of the facts and give legal, independent eyes, to the claim of violations under US Constitutional law and advise the Senate of this in their deliberations.

This means the first person to deliberate the Constitutionality of the claims made by the HOR is going to be Chief Justice John Roberts. He has sole responsibility that the charges meet Constitutional Requirements before allowing the Senate to deliberate. The first items listed in the progression of the crimes that are allowed impeachment require they be a CRIME. IE: High Crimes and misdemeanors.

Not one of the Articles of Impeachment lists a Crime as US Title Code defines. The Chief Justice will impose Federal Rules of Evidence and that will doom this impeachment before the trial even begins.

Without a violation of US Title Code, the Impeachment Articles, by democrats, are dead on arrival in the Senate. Chief Justice Roberts will ask for summary dismissal.. That will be the ultimate seal of death for democrats, to have the judiciary tell the senate that the Articles of Impeachment do not meet even basic Constitutional criteria to bring action.

Article 2 has even more problems than the basics noted here as SCOTUS has ruled, as a group, that exercise of Executive Privilege is not a crime. Article 2 was DOA before it even was made into an Article of Impeachment

Its going to be a very interesting new year... Its no wonder Nancy Pelosi is holding on to the embarrassments she claims are in need of emergency action.... Democrats are in deep shit and they dont see it....

I'd have to say that the current SC being primarily made up of constitutionalists, they will go with the constitution:

“The House ... shall have the sole Power of Impeachment and that The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments...”

I'd have to say that the current SC being primarily made up of constitutionalists, they will go with the constitution:

“The House ... shall have the sole Power of Impeachment and that The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments...”
But do the House Articles meet the Constitutional requirements? That is the Question. Secondary, Will Roberts look into constitutionality and advise the Senate?

I can see this getting very messy if not handled well.

I can see Roberts advising the Senate and then allowing them to make their decision.

Last edited:
All things being equal, The Articles should get slapped down as there are no material facts, no witnesses and the offenses listed as Articles are not found in US Code as a Misdemeanor or Felony.

All things being equal, The Articles should get slapped down as there are no material facts, no witnesses and the offenses listed as Articles are not found in US Code as a Misdemeanor or Felony.
Agreed!

Roberts will walk a very fine line but this sham is going to die a very sordid death... And the left is going to scream bloody murder...

"not found in US Code as a Misdemeanor or Felony"

Orange Man Bad is not a crime?

Without a violation of US Title Code, the Impeachment Articles, by democrats, are dead on arrival in the Senate. Chief Justice Roberts will ask for summary dismissal.. That will be the ultimate seal of death for democrats, to have the judiciary tell the senate that the Articles of Impeachment do not meet even basic Constitutional criteria to bring action.

I doubt this very much. The House has the sole power to impeach and Roberts is not going to arbitrate what is and isn't an impeachable offense. That is for the Senate to decide. I'm pretty sure that Roberts is going to be as neutral as he can, not taking any sides. And I don't think there's any precedent for a Chief Justice presiding over a Senate Impeachment to make that call.

I doubt this very much. The House has the sole power to impeach and Roberts is not going to arbitrate what is and isn't an impeachable offense. That is for the Senate to decide. I'm pretty sure that Roberts is going to be as neutral as he can, not taking any sides. And I don't think there's any precedent for a Chief Justice presiding over a Senate Impeachment to make that call.
Roberts will not make the call but he will advise. The Senate will make the call.

I think Roberts will advise but the call is solely the Senates to make.

Maybe I went to far with the question-statement. It was not my intent to say the Chief Justice will decide only that his actions, following legal precedent will.

Roberts will not make the call but he will advise. The Senate will make the call.

The Chief Justice is the Judge during an Impeachment trial.

Yes He Is.. And as the Judge he is to call out unconstitutional and illegal items.. If Roberts sees these articles as illegal he will advise the Senate.

S/he is the judge of the Senate court, should Pelosi decide to turn over impeachment proceedings to the Senate.

Article I, section 3 of the U.S. Constitution stipulates that the chief justice shall preside over the Senate trial of an impeached President of the United States

Yes He Is.. And as the Judge he is to call out unconstitutional and illegal items.. If Roberts sees these articles as illegal he will advise the Senate.
Far more likely he will prevent McConnell from some arbitrary process meant to sweep all this under the rug without a proper hearing.

It’s amusing that one can be impeached as POTUS with less legal violations and due process than someone who steals a pack of gum from 7-11.

Roll? Lol

He presided over the impeachment trial. In a court of law, the role is to decide what is evidentiary and what isn’t. The Constitution is, of course, not detailed in this matter as to what “preside” means.

You do realize that “impeachment” is simply an accusation, not an indication of guilt or wrong doing of any sort, and that we have a bicameral legislature.

And you also realize that SCOTUS is the arbitrator of disputes between Congress and The Executive and even between the House and Senate.

It is quite possible that The Chief Justice could throw out the articles entirely because Due Process was violated, and these articles would not even stand up in a court of law due to lack of evidence.

However, I doubt Roberts dismisses them, but I think you I’ll hear several rulings from him go against Pelosi, Schiff, Nadler and Schummer.

It’s a slam dunk The President gets exonerated no matter which way this goes.

As I was reading threads today I looked it up. The Chief Justices roll in Impeachment is to be an impartial judge, giving equal scrutiny of the facts and give legal, independent eyes, to the claim of violations under US Constitutional law and advise the Senate of this in their deliberations.

This means the first person to deliberate the Constitutionality of the claims made by the HOR is going to be Chief Justice John Roberts. He has sole responsibility that the charges meet Constitutional Requirements before allowing the Senate to deliberate. The first items listed in the progression of the crimes that are allowed impeachment require they be a CRIME. IE: High Crimes and misdemeanors.

Not one of the Articles of Impeachment lists a Crime as US Title Code defines. The Chief Justice will impose Federal Rules of Evidence and that will doom this impeachment before the trial even begins.

Article 2 has even more problems than the basics noted here as SCOTUS has ruled, as a group, that exercise of Executive Privilege is not a crime. Article 2 was DOA before it even was made into an Article of Impeachment

Its going to be a very interesting new year... Its no wonder Nancy Pelosi is holding on to the embarrassments she claims are in need of emergency action.... Democrats are in deep shit and they dont see it....

The senate sets their rules, the Chief Justice enforces them. The senators can't even ask questions of witnesses except in written form and submitted through the Chief Justice who will ask the questions or rule them out of order.

You are clueless. The Chief Justice will preside over the trial and rule on any objections such as relevancy. He can be overridden by the Senate but given the Republicans have only a 3 seat majority, there is no guarantee. Roberts will not dismiss the case as the Constitution does not permit him to do that.

It does not have to be a violation of a criminal statute. Abuse of power is a impeachable offense.

There does not have to be a violation of a criminal statute.

Forum List

Back