What is Meant by "Well Regulated"?

A Militia in “Good Working Order”

A formal organization, training, a list of all members and their roles in the militia, rules and regulation

None of which apply to todays gun owners
True.

Private armed citizens cannot unilaterally declare themselves a ‘militia.’

Private armed citizens are subject to the same Federal, state, and local firearm regulatory measures as everyone else whether they declare themselves a ‘militia’ or not.

Only the state governments and the Federal government have the authority to create a militia.

Private armed citizens cannot unilaterally declare themselves a ‘militia.’
Free Speech and Freedom of Association say that they can.

Private armed citizens are subject to the same Federal, state, and local firearm regulatory measures as everyone else whether they declare themselves a ‘militia’ or not.
True.

But that does include the Second Amendment's right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Only the state governments and the Federal government have the authority to create a militia.
OK.

…and authorized by government to be a militia.
Not really. The question of whether a militia is authorized by the government is different from the question of whether a militia is well-regulated.

It helps to actually understand what well-regulated means.

The Supreme Court says they can’t: Presser v. Illinois (1886).

And that’s the only opinion which matters.
And Heller too when it reaffirmed Presser saying that the Second Amendment, "does not prevent the prohibition of private paramilitary organizations".

I don't agree with you on much, but on this is one specific thing you are correct; private citizens have no right to form themselves into militia and do militia shit.

And Heller too when it reaffirmed Presser saying that the Second Amendment, "does not prevent the prohibition of private paramilitary organizations".

I don't agree with you on much, but on this is one specific thing you are correct; private citizens have no right to form themselves into militia and do militia shit.
can you point to a law that forbids people from forming there own militia???

It means that a militia is supposed to serve the Republic, and the Constitution which gives the Republic its identity. A Militia is not supposed to be a renegade faction with its own philosophy.

The Supreme Court says they can’t: Presser v. Illinois (1886).
And that’s the only opinion which matters.
Do you guys think that anyone will ever be successfully prosecuted for merely referring to themselves as a militia and practicing with guns?

And if so, do you think the courts will uphold the relevant law when it is challenged on grounds of freedom of speech and association?

It means that a militia is supposed to serve the Republic, and the Constitution which gives the Republic its identity.
That is incorrect. "Well-regulated" means that the militia in question is able to fight as a single coordinated unit instead of fighting as a bunch of random individuals.

Do you guys think that anyone will ever be successfully prosecuted for merely referring to themselves as a militia and practicing with guns?

And if so, do you think the courts will uphold the relevant law when it is challenged on grounds of freedom of speech and association?
there are no laws that forbid it so theres nothing they can be charged with,,

as you say,, freedom of speech and association,,

there are no laws that forbid it so theres nothing they can be charged with,,
as you say,, freedom of speech and association,,
I think there is some obscure law somewhere that does forbid it. But I don't think it will ever be used. At least, not against people who merely call themselves a militia and practice shooting guns.

If it is ever used to prosecute such people, I expect that it'll be struck down.

I think there is some obscure law somewhere that does forbid it. But I don't think it will ever be used. At least, not against people who merely call themselves a militia and practice shooting guns.

If it is ever used to prosecute such people, I expect that it'll be struck down.
unless shit really hits the fan all it is is a bunch of guys training together,, that makes them ready and waiting if and when the government calls them up for service,,
sounds like the responsible thing to do,,

unless shit really hits the fan all it is is a bunch of guys training together,, that makes them ready and waiting if and when the government calls them up for service,,
sounds like the responsible thing to do,,
When "shit really hits the fan", such as some form of civil unrest, could be too late to organize and train with other locals. Makes a little prep work worth considering. Also, doesn't need to be limited to "a bunch of guys".
Ladies of Lead

Forum List

Back