What is causing the Empty Shelves

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
I did some research and come up with some reasons for the empty shelves.

It was started by the Hoarders. They stripped the shelves of many of the life essential things like cleaning supplies, paper goods, meats that could be frozen, canned goods and more. And each day for 2 weeks, they have changed to more goods to hoard so even more things go into shortage. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Due to the empty shelves, the hoarders have been definately slowed down.

While the Hoarders started this problem, I found out that it's perpetuated by the lack of supplies. If we look at the Warehouses, the Warehouses have spread out their supplies evenly to all their stores. And they aren't receiving enough from their suppliers. The supply is well below the normal demand without even considering the Hoarder problem. I visited a Walmart at 6:20 today and filmed their shelves. They did receive a few trucks the night before and had most of it out already.

Walmart Empty Shelves

Last edited:

It was started by the Hoarders. They stripped the shelves of many of the life essential things like cleaning supplies, paper goods, meats that could be frozen, canned goods and more. And each day for 2 weeks, they have changed to more goods to hoard so even more things go into shortage. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Due to the empty shelves, the hoarders have been definately slowed down.

While the Hoarders started this problem, I found out that it's perpetuated by the lack of supplies. If we look at the Warehouses, the Warehouses have spread out their supplies evenly to all their stores. And they aren't receiving enough from their suppliers. The supply is well below the normal demand without even considering the Hoarder problem. I visited a Walmart at 6:20 today and filmed their shelves. They did receive a few trucks the night before and had most of it out already.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="Walmart Empty Shelves" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen seamless></iframe><p><a href="Walmart Empty Shelves" target="_blank">Walmart Empty Shelves</a></p>
yes, people who can't share.

Walmart Empty Shelves

this just goes to show the best defense is to stock up during times of abundance and that way you dont become needy during times of scarcity like this one,,,

Walmart Empty Shelves

this just goes to show the best defense is to stock up during times of abundance and that way you dont become needy during times of scarcity like this one,,,
that's what made stores like Sam's and Costco so attractive.

• Banned
One other thing. The only TP Walmart got in (their entire TP shelf was empty) was ONE pallet of 4 pack. And they were selling it right off the pallet. I would imagine it would be gone in a little over an hour.

Walmart Empty Shelves

I called Sam's tuesday, and they would not tell me if they had TP or anything else in stock. Screw them. They wanted me to drive nearly 200 miles to find out.

Walmart Empty Shelves

during times of abundance all stores are costco,,,

Walmart Empty Shelves
Hoarders? You mean people who stock up on things? When stores are running out of things people will buy more when they can, it's only natural. However IMO they should have prepared before something bad happens.

I called Sam's tuesday, and they would not tell me if they had TP or anything else in stock. Screw them. They wanted me to drive nearly 200 miles to find out.
I saw a sign yesterday in my neck of the woods for an Ammo shop saying; we have ammo and toilet paper-

This started with democrats lying. Trump had ordered a national quarantine. The Pentagon was sending the military to close all the stores. Trump put all the truck drivers in quarantine. My step grandson came home in a dither. He heard from a buddy who heard from his buddy whose wife works at the Pentagon that Iran had cut off all our oil. The gas stations were running out of gas. The dollar had crashed. Spend now because it will be worthless.

That's what caused the empty shelves.

Walmart Empty Shelves

From my research, this is a created shortage. It started out as a panic buy by a bunch of people with more money than sense and then the supply got cut for whatever reason. The supply is only a fraction of what it should be under even a normal demand without the Hoarders. I don't exactly know what's going on with the suppliers but this can no longer be blamed on the Hoarders, Media or panic.

Walmart Empty Shelves
What is causing the empty shelves?
  1. Panic from housewives that their children and family would be locked in their home for weeks and months and that other people would clean out the supply. So they sent the poor old man out to spend every last dollar he had on every last item they could buy to stuff into their home before someone else got it.
  2. Hearing that others were cleaning out shelves, everyone else now bolted to do the same. Now they have created the very situation they feared.
  3. Fears of Corona forced places like Amazon to shut down online orders for common supplies, so now the stores are empty and you can't buy it online either.
  4. Fears of corona drove suppliers and manufacturers to cut down on employment, hours, workers and deliveries, thus not restocking the stores.
Congratulation, jackasses! Hope you trip over that 5 foot pile of TP in your hallway and fall down your cellar steps. Had everyone just remained calm and continued to buy what they needed when they needed it, everyone would have what they need.

I was thinking the other day, "I imagine those people from the Extreme Coupon type shows haven't even left their homes".

On those shows there are people with basements AND garages packed with canned goods, toilet paper etc. They are probably quite popular now with the neighbours as well, assuming the give or sell some of their stash (I bet many won't just because of how important the accomplishment is to them).

Situations like we are experiencing now, do tell a greater story about the human condition. How much is enough? I suppose the answer can be asked with another question, "how much will I need"?

For the first time yesterday I was feeling silly for NOT grabbing more toilet paper when I could have. I was being nice and sharing (for instance, taking one pack of 8 rolls when I could have taken two, leaving some for others). We are fine for TP as I did grab some, without being excessive. I imagine some will be re-stocked eventually, so I'm not too concerned. As of now though, three stores I was at yesterday had none. Only a few paper towel were left.

Forum List

Back