What is Behind the Black Boycott of the Oscars?

Academy of Motion Picture of Arts and Sciences handles nominations and voting for the awards. But the rules are very specific: only members in each specific branch can propose nominees. i.e., only the cinematographers can nominate people for Best Cinematography, the sound editors do the nominations for Sound Edting, actors for Acting, etc. So, in theory, people who know what they're talking about do the nominating. I think the only exception is Best Picture, which everyone is eligible to participate in.
Obvious realization : We should lower our standards so less skillful people will be nominated. Or we just give everyone a fuckin trophy

My guess is that none of the performances were particularly noteworthy. It's not a award for being black, it's an award for being the best in the world at that particular moment in time. Denzel has been nominated six times and won twice because he's damned great actor. Sam Jackson is another great actor and why he has only been nominated once is beyond me.
What or who determines if a acting job is noteworthy? Is the voting done by all races or just a board of old white guys? If its just old white guys then there is your answer. BTW... Denzel should have won the award much sooner than he did. He only got the award after playing a character that pretty much stereotypes what whites think of Black people.

Also if you note...the complaint is more along the lines of "people of color" as opposed to strictly being about "Black people". I think the issue is that the movies are not representative of the racial makeup and some roles are actually filled by white actors instead of the ethnic actors that should have the roles.

Also if you note...the complaint is more along the lines of "people of color" as opposed to strictly being about "Black people". I think the issue is that the movies are not representative of the racial makeup and some roles are actually filled by white actors instead of the ethnic actors that should have the roles.
I posted how they come up with nominations. Maybe you and the rest of your racist folk could start a revolution to have non-professional hacks nominate for awards?
If they aint good, they aint good. Straighten out your wrist and quit being so goddamn insecure

It seems very strange to me that one of the most politically correct left wing dominated organizations in the U.S. has chosen this year to exclude Black actors from its list of Oscar nominees. Do you think it might have anything to do with the upcoming elections? Doesn't this stir up Black voters by reminding them of the pervasive racism that lurks behind every corner? Is it just a coincidence?

Personally, I don't think the Clinton machine leaves anything to chance. (Remember the photo-op of Bill and Hillary dancing on the beach?) Who do you think Hollywood wants to see as our next President?

I think the actors feel left out and want a rich persons version of the black lives matter bullshit.

I posted how they come up with nominations. Maybe you and the rest of your racist folk could start a revolution to have non-professional hacks nominate for awards?
If they aint good, they aint good. Straighten out your wrist and quit being so goddamn insecure
Who says they aint good? White people? Of course they are good. White people just have different tastes. Personally I dont understand why Black people get upset about it. Fuck'em and put more importance on our own awards show.

How many whites attend the Black Entertainment Awards to get awards for their performances?
Where does it say "white" in BET awards? The Oscars is the white BET awards.
so you can have yours but whites cant have theirs? As ignorant and stupid as that is, you did do well on showing your prejudice. Dumbfuck.
Where does it say the Oscars are only for white people? If you want a white people award show you need to put it in the title.

Last edited:
My guess is that none of the performances were particularly noteworthy. It's not a award for being black, it's an award for being the best in the world at that particular moment in time. Denzel has been nominated six times and won twice because he's damned great actor. Sam Jackson is another great actor and why he has only been nominated once is beyond me.

Nice sentiment, but politics always plays a role in Hollywood, and particularly in the Oscars. Do you remember the 2002 awards where Sidney Poitier was selected for a lifetime achievement award, along with Denzel Washington and Halle Berry being named best actor and actress? Do you think that was a coincidence?

Denzel is one of my favorite actors, but his role in Training Day was primarily to repeat the f-word (in that lousy movie) about 500 times. The obvious winner should have been Russell Crowe in (Best Picture) A Beautiful Mind, but that was the year designated to award Black actors. No politics involved in that, either?

I placed this thread in the Election Forum because of its potential impact on the 2016 Presidential election. I know that a lot of movie-related shenanigans go on during election years (e.g., 13 Hours), but this year's apparent snub of fine performances, such as Will Smith in Concussion, smacks of deceitful manipulation of the nominating process for the ultimate purpose of maintaining the high Black voter turnout that (re)elected President Obama.

Last edited:
What or who determines if a acting job is noteworthy? Is the voting done by all races or just a board of old white guys? If its just old white guys then there is your answer. BTW... Denzel should have won the award much sooner than he did. He only got the award after playing a character that pretty much stereotypes what whites think of Black people.

Probably the experts in the field. I watched a lot of movies this last year and the only good performance I saw was Will Smiths in Concussion. The movie itself was a bit over wrought but he was very good in it. Just not great.

Nice sentiment, but politics always plays a role in Hollywood, and particularly in the Oscars. Do you remember the 2002 awards where Sidney Poitier was selected for a lifetime achievement award, along with Denzel Washington and Halle Berry being named best actor and actress? Do you think that was a coincidence?

Denzel is one of my favorite actors, but his role in Training Day was primarily to repeat the f-word (in that lousy movie) about 500 times. The obvious winner should have been Russell Crowe in (Best Picture) A Beautiful Mind, but that was the year designated to award Black actors. No politics involved in that, either?

I placed this thread in the Election Forum because of its potential impact on the 2016 Presidential election. I know that a lot of movie-related shenanigans go on during election years (e.g., 13 Hours), but this year's apparent snub of fine performances, such as Will Smith in Concussion, smacks of deceitful manipulation of the nominating process for the ultimate purpose of maintaining the high Black voter turnout that (re)elected President Obama.

No I don't think it is coincidence. But I do think it was stupid. Hollywood does indeed get sidetracked with politics but usually it is the politics played by the various production companies. The players in Hollywood are very political and lean heavily leftist. Of that there is no doubt, but other than the occasional dose of pandering they tend to keep the awards for those who deserve them.

Who says they aint good? White people? Of course they are good. White people just have different tastes. Personally I dont understand why Black people get upset about it. Fuck'em and put more importance on our own awards show.

Smartest thing you have ever said...

Probably the experts in the field. I watched a lot of movies this last year and the only good performance I saw was Will Smiths in Concussion. The movie itself was a bit over wrought but he was very good in it. Just not great.
What makes them experts? Its really just a matter of preference. For example, I can appreciate good acting/actors like Julie Roberts, Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins but to me Denzel Washington is the best actor I have ever seen and he only has 2 Oscars and only 1 as a leading character. Will Smith is not quite there yet but its amazing how good he has gotten.

Forum List

Back