What Is a Mandolin ?

You [The OP] have an extremely low opinion of people and their level of knowledge. Either that or you have an extraordinarily high opinion of yourself and yours.

An an extraordinarily high opinion of how important it is to know about mandolins (either the musical instrument or the kitchen device). Most of us will never use either.
Your loss.

Could USMB posters really no know this ? :confused:
We all know what a mandolin is, and you told us not to reply.

Mandolin is my favorite instrument.
You may know. Many, if not most, people don't.

You have an extremely low opinion of people and their level of knowledge. Either that or you have an extraordinarily high opinion of yourself and yours.
I do have a high opinion of myself, at least as a musician, and music teacher, which is necessary for both those things.

As for having a low opinion of people, no, I don't. I just happen to be talking about something which is not well known too much. If I have a low opinion of anybody, it would be the schools for not teaching kids about mandolins (and other musical instruments).

I know a lot of people who play the guitar. Not a single one says they learned it in school. (where they could've & should've)

Asked of people with little knowledge of it, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, please state, in 1 sentence, your answer to the title of this OP. Just toss in your best guess.

For those who know the answer, please refrain from posting, so as to not destroy the aim of the thread. Don't worry. We know you're smart.

I never cease to be amazed at how many people, don't know what a mandolin is, or anything about it. I want to get an idea of what causes this.
It’s a guitar like instrument rarely used by popular music bands.

You may know. Many, if not most, people don't.

I think nearly everyone knows about the musical instrument. I assumed, when I read the OP, that since you seemed to suppose that there'd be many who didn't know what you were asking about, that you probably meant the kitchen device, which is considerably more obscure.
Couldn't disagree more. Quite apparent that most people are unfamiliar with mandolins. When I bought one 3 days ago, they had only 3 displayed in a very large store. They had hundreds of guitars, and 35 ukeleles showing. When I went back there yesterday, they had only 1 displayed. No wonder people don't know it.

Asked of people with little knowledge of it, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, please state, in 1 sentence, your answer to the title of this OP. Just toss in your best guess.

For those who know the answer, please refrain from posting, so as to not destroy the aim of the thread. Don't worry. We know you're smart.

I never cease to be amazed at how many people, don't know what a mandolin is, or anything about it. I want to get an idea of what causes this.
True. It's almost always used in bluegrass bands, but bluegrass has never really been a type of "popular music"

True. It's almost always used in bluegrass bands, but bluegrass has never really been a type of "popular music"
It's not too well know that 100 years ago, the mandolin was a popular instrument in classical music, and there even were mandolin orchestras.

Google Image Result for https://images.forwardcdn.com/image/720x/center/images/cropped/blog-mandolins-053014-1423594009.jpg

It's not too well know that 100 years ago, the mandolin was a popular instrument in classical music, and there even were mandolin orchestras.

Google Image Result for https://images.forwardcdn.com/image/720x/center/images/cropped/blog-mandolins-053014-1423594009.jpg
Is it louder than an acoustic guitar?

A little guitar like instrument that plays at a higher pitch than a guitar. Seems to be popular in country music.

It's a small 8 string acoustic guitar, popular with Italian classical and folk musicians and American folk and bluegrass bands.

Blue grass was very popular, and noted players like Bill Monroe and Ricky Skaggs are it's most famous players and both at the top of the bluegrass food chain. As for why you don't see many in stores, it's because fiddles and banjos are more popular, for the same reason 6 string electrics are far more popular than basses or drums with wannabee rock stars.

Is it louder than an acoustic guitar?
It's about the same. Maybe just slightly louder.

It's a small 8 string acoustic guitar, popular with Italian classical and folk musicians and American folk and bluegrass bands.

Blue grass was very popular, and noted players like Bill Monroe and Ricky Skaggs are it's most famous players and both at the top of the bluegrass food chain. As for why you don't see many in stores, it's because fiddles and banjos are more popular, for the same reason 6 string electrics are far more popular than basses or drums with wannabee rock stars.
It's actually a small 8 string acoustic guitar/violin, but your post is correct and informative. Thanks.

8-stringed, soprano instrument.

Forum List

Back