What has happened to U-Haul ?

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
I recently went to rent a small trailer (5x8 and was surprised by the interrogation I received.

Let's assume I have great credit, no criminal history and no history of any bad events whatsoever with UHaul (since that is the case)

What happened was the amount of information needed seemed overly intrusive.
They wanted....

1). My photo
2). A hard copy of my Driver License
3). References (Names, addresses and phone numbers of friends and relatives (at least 3)
4). A 2nd form of official ID (credit card etc)

As mentioned. there is absolutely6 ZERO incidences of ANY problems big or small ever with my interactions with UHaul, this is simply what they require of everyone.

Granted, I was in a high crime area (Democrat controlled, of course) and perhaps they are protecting themselves?
Perhaps there has been a significant increase in theft of Uhaul equipment lately?
Maybe more and more people are using fake ID to rent the equipment then not pay for it?

I recently went to rent a small trailer (5x8 and was surprised by the interrogation I received.

Let's assume I have great credit, no criminal history and no history of any bad events whatsoever with UHaul (since that is the case)

They wanted....

1). My photo
3). References (Names, addresses and phone numbers of friends and relatives (at least 3)

As mentioned. there is absolutely6 ZERO incidences of ANY problems big or small ever with my interactions with UHaul, this is simply what they require of everyone.

Granted, I was in a high crime area (Democrat controlled, of course) and perhaps they are protecting themselves?
Perhaps there has been a significant increase in theft of Uhaul equipment lately?
Maybe more and more people are using fake ID to rent the equipment then not pay for it?

They wanted....

1). My photo

Well- James and I ran into something similar when we rented a backhoe and a couple other things when we were clearing our land. It was very expensive equipment and I guess they wanted it back at the end of the contract.

Hell, it was almost that bad when we rescued dogs from the shelters.

They wanted....

1). My photo

Maybe they thought you were the kind of guy who would make a fertilizer bomb

I rented a UHaul last year for a move. I paid for it, my brother drove it, and there were no issues. I mean, obviously they wanted to see a credit card and a driver's license.

Maybe they thought you were the kind of guy who would make a fertilizer bomb

I rented a UHaul last year for a move. I paid for it, my brother drove it, and there were no issues. I mean, obviously they wanted to see a credit card and a driver's license.

so did I, and "last year" I didn't have that problem either...hence the title "What HAS HAPPENED to Uhaul" ;)

As far as the "fertilizer bomb"......
I dunno. Seems they were requiring it of everyone so maybe they thought everyone was doing that. Who knows.
Odd you came up with that actually. You work with fertilizer much?

But you seem to be kind to animals so I have to cut you some slack.

so did I, and "last year" I didn't have that problem either...hence the title "What HAS HAPPENED to Uhaul" ;)

As far as the "fertilizer bomb"......
I dunno. Seems they were requiring it of everyone so maybe they thought everyone was doing that. Who knows.
Odd you came up with that actually. You work with fertilizer much?

Uh, no, but the two truck bombs we had were fertilizer bombs (the 1993 WTC bombing and the OKC bombing in 1995)

The only fertilizer I see is the loads of Right Wing Bullshit being passed of here as original ideas.

I would guess it's by location because I've done quite a few self moves with Uhaul and have never had an issue. Actually, I think they've been too lax. They give these big trucks out like candy.

I once saw a group moving into a building with a very large truck (far larger than anything I drove) and they backed into a parked car, hooked it's front bumper with their rear bumper, and dragged it about 30 yards down the parking lot. Absolutely wrecked it's front end. Wish I had it on video.

There's a certain finesse to driving bigger trucks (especially backing them) and not everyone has the ability or skills to be doing it. My confidence comes from ambulances. I can back them anywhere.

I've had a lot of success with Pennske. You could always try them. Home Depot rents them out.

They wanted....

1). My photo

6qol06.jpg

They wanted....

1). My photo

References????? Thats a new one on me!!!
What the hell do references do? If you gonna steal it, you gonna steal it.

Well- James and I ran into something similar when we rented a backhoe and a couple other things when we were clearing our land. It was very expensive equipment and I guess they wanted it back at the end of the contract.

Hell, it was almost that bad when we rescued dogs from the shelters.
Ah HA. I got a dog from a rescue shelter. I had to provide copy of my driver's license, FICO score, finger prints, letter from my veterinarian, names and addresses of neighbors, name and address of my doctor AND they did a full criminal background check. Then I had the home inspectionThat was to pay $400. for an elderly used, second hand dog. Go to the city shelter. Pay, take dog.

Forum List

Back