What has Chevy Done???

Cool but I'll keep my C5 Anniversary Z06
GQlY3fH.jpg

With its gorgeous new C8 Corvette base-priced at $59,995, Chevy/GM has potentially devastated the American sports car market for the foreseeable future. Recent dyno testing indicates that GM's HP and torque figures are way below the actual numbers which are close to 600 in each case. 0-60 times of 2.8 seconds are real.

And lest one forget, the styling of this car, both inside and out are exotic-level, with only true cranks finding any fault with ANYTHING about this car.

So assuming GM can get cars to the showrooms, why would anyone spend $95k on a Porsche Cayman GTS, with its nifty FOUR CYLINDER lump? Or a Mercedes AMG coupe, or a BMW M-car? An Audi TT? Are you kidding? Jaguar F-Type? How would you like to be Toyota's Supra Product Manager, trying to sell $60 thousand Supra's these days?

Ford has been trying to make the case for the past few years that the high-end Mustangs are "sports cars," and pricing them accordingly. A GT350 for seventy grand? Even Camaro ZL-1's are instantly obsolete - as are remaining C7's, nice as they are. Hellcat Redeye's at $75k and up? Not so fast.

The resale value on C7's has been even better than Corvette's historically good values. The C8's will likely top even that. 60% of MSRP after five years is a reasonable guess.

I realize that people buy certain marques not because the cars are "good," but because they want to be see driving them, but for those sports car buyers who think rationally about it, the only real choice between $50 and 100k is a new C8.

Who the fuck needs to go 0-60 in 2.8? :cuckoo:

/—-/ So, if I wanted a drop top used Vett as a daily driver, what year would be my best choice, reliability, repair and cool wise?

I'd go a C4 or C5 (but love them all). Love my C5, got 46K approx on it, I don't use it daily but wish I did!.

Couple good books to warm you up are "All Corvettes are red" by James Schiefter (no shit on the shifter:) And "No time to Cry" by Wilmer Cooksey jr Both very good. All are red is the story when Vettes almost went away. Took about 6-7 years to do the C5 Very interesting reads.

Forum List

Back