What Does This Country Look Like In 20 Years?

Not talking about the size & scope of government or health care or demographics.

I'm talking about the seething hatred that I can damn near FEEL oozing from my computer screen when left wingers and right wingers post to each other (and to me sometimes, but I'm a big boy, so that's okay).

The worrisome thing is that I'm seeing more and more of this in real life, not just on this board. This type of raw anger is becoming more and more a part of our culture. How can anyone so lucky to live in America be so damn angry all the time?

For those of you who regularly post this way, what are you trying to accomplish? Seriously. Does it make you feel better somehow?

And how much worse can this get? Regular violence? That kinda seems like the next logical step.

I would take posts on a message board with a grain of salt when extrapolating current events into the future. Those "who regularly post this way" are simple folk, defining their worlds around simple ideology. They did not just appear in the USA, in fact, founding fathers of the USA recognized their existence, and choose a representative form of democracy that included a relatively far-removed Executive, Legislature (Senate), and Judiciary with barriers between the opinionated common rabble and elected officials.

What is new is technology: USMB is one example, but IM, Twitter, Facebook, and a host of other internet-based media, increasingly interwoven with satellite and cable media, amplifies the noise from the masses, as well as uniting otherwise fractured wacko groups (Al Queda is one example, but there are millions of others), to voice unpopular opinions that would otherwise go unnoticed. Homeland Security has evolved to scrutinize the threat that these groups may represent.

My Guess is that as we see more radicalized groups, some will become as dangerous as Al Queda. 20 years from now I predict here will be much less internet freedom, and much more scrutiny from what we now believe is "Big Brother."

We have not begun to see Big Brother in Action.

Interesting stuff.

No doubt, the sheer speed with which information (including BAD information) moves must play a role in the behavior, whipping people into a freaking frenzy. Having raised two daughters, I don't know how the hell they survive adolescence with stuff like Facebook and Twitter poking into their lives.

When I see the literal hatred here, that is one thing. I suspect that for a lot of folks it's a catharsis, or for some a kind of temporary self esteem massage. It's so silly and over the top that you never know what people are actually thinking. It's seeing it more in real life that has me concerned.

And yes, Big Brother will only get larger and more intrusive, agreed.

Last edited:
What does this country look like in 20 years?

The Soviet Union in 1950.
he meant this to be a serious thread.

That is a serious answer. If we continue on the path we are on now, we will essentially be the USSR circa 1950 in 20 years. Lines for toilet paper and all.

I openly and proudly hate liberals. They lie. They bare false witness. They foment racial division. They foment gender division. They foment class envy. They undermine our Constitution, laws, and elections. I wasn't born hating liberals I learned to hate them.

@80zephyr ^ See?

He's being honest.

We could use more honesty from both ends of the spectrum.

Indeed. I have the same abject hatred of liberals. I (literally) despise these worthless scum. They cheat, they steal, they lie and they undermine. They have had their "lunch money" taken from them since childhood and now, that they parse laws, they are getting even. I am being completely honest here. I despise their worthless asses.

Not talking about the size & scope of government or health care or demographics.

I'm talking about the seething hatred that I can damn near FEEL oozing from my computer screen when left wingers and right wingers post to each other (and to me sometimes, but I'm a big boy, so that's okay).

The worrisome thing is that I'm seeing more and more of this in real life, not just on this board. This type of raw anger is becoming more and more a part of our culture. How can anyone so lucky to live in America be so damn angry all the time?

For those of you who regularly post this way, what are you trying to accomplish? Seriously. Does it make you feel better somehow?

And how much worse can this get? Regular violence? That kinda seems like the next logical step.

I would take posts on a message board with a grain of salt when extrapolating current events into the future. Those "who regularly post this way" are simple folk, defining their worlds around simple ideology. They did not just appear in the USA, in fact, founding fathers of the USA recognized their existence, and choose a representative form of democracy that included a relatively far-removed Executive, Legislature (Senate), and Judiciary with barriers between the opinionated common rabble and elected officials.

What is new is technology: USMB is one example, but IM, Twitter, Facebook, and a host of other internet-based media, increasingly interwoven with satellite and cable media, amplifies the noise from the masses, as well as uniting otherwise fractured wacko groups (Al Queda is one example, but there are millions of others), to voice unpopular opinions that would otherwise go unnoticed. Homeland Security has evolved to scrutinize the threat that these groups may represent.

My Guess is that as we see more radicalized groups, some will become as dangerous as Al Queda. 20 years from now I predict here will be much less internet freedom, and much more scrutiny from what we now believe is "Big Brother."

Interesting stuff.

No doubt, the sheer speed with which information (including BAD information) moves must play a role in the behavior, whipping people into a freaking frenzy. Having raised two daughters, I don't know how the hell they survive adolescence with stuff like Facebook and Twitter poking into their lives.

When I see the literal hatred here, that is one thing. I suspect that for a lot of folks it's a catharsis, or for some a kind of temporary self esteem massage. It's so silly and over the top that you never know what people are actually thinking. It's seeing it more in real life that has me concerned.

You see literal hatred IRL based on ideological differences?

Perhaps we should understand what "literal hatred" is opposed to "figurative hatred."

For example:
  • Figurative hatred = burning an effigy
  • Literal hatred = burning an actual person
I rarely see figurative hatred IRL, and cannot recall ever having seen literal hatred in the USA (I have seen it in the Balkans). I'm not saying literal hatred doesn't happen in the USA, e.g. "hate crimes" against individuals because of race, religion, sexual orientation, whatever, but believe the recorded increase in these crimes are more a function of better reporting and recording than actual increases per capita.

Interesting stuff.

Perhaps we should understand what "literal hatred" is opposed to "figurative hatred."

For example:
I rarely see figurative hatred IRL, and cannot recall ever having seen literal hatred in the USA (I have seen it in the Balkans). I'm not saying literal hatred doesn't happen in the USA, e.g. "hate crimes" against individuals because of race, religion, sexual orientation, whatever, but believe the recorded increase in these crimes are more a function of better reporting and recording than actual increases per capita.

I guess it depends on the definition you're using. To me, hatred isn't just an act, it can be an emotion.

And some of the posts I see here every day? People coming up with the nastiest possible things to say?

Yeah, to me, that's hatred. Real hatred.

Indeed. I have the same abject hatred of liberals. I (literally) despise these worthless scum. They cheat, they steal, they lie and they undermine. They have had their "lunch money" taken from them since childhood and now, that they parse laws, they are getting even. I am being completely honest here. I despise their worthless asses.

That's funny. I feel the same about conservatives. Except you all massively fucked up your chance and giftwrapped Democrats the White House. Which we'll take again in 2016.

Interesting stuff.

For example:

I guess it depends on the definition you're using. To me, hatred isn't just an act, it can be an emotion.

And some of the posts I see here every day? People coming up with the nastiest possible things to say?

Yeah, to me, that's hatred. Real hatred.

Virtual Hatred.

Very much like Virtual Penis Length, can be greatly exaggerated.

That's funny. I feel the same about conservatives. Except you all massively fucked up your chance and giftwrapped Democrats the White House. Which we'll take again in 2016.

We'll see hotshot. Until then? Fuck off.

[

The middle class rose with the Market Revolution of 1810-1840; you illiterate git.

Uh, yeah...

Here's what things looked like for working people.

american-cities-061.jpg

[

So your complaint is that LIberals are making America a bad place for Bullies?

Marijuana (Soma) will be legal in all 50 states.

Big Brother will be watching every keystroke

All children will attend small neighborhood "homeschools." where one teacher will supervise online learning grades 1-12.

Maybe. You really don't have great change without violence.

We'd have never had a labor movement and a middle class without the labor riots of the late 19th century.

We'd have never had a civil rights movement without the riots of the 1960's.

Violence might not be the ideal solution, but sometimes it happens.

Reality, most Americans are too fat and lazy to get up from behind their TV's and Computers. So you're probably safe.

The middle class rose with the Market Revolution of 1810-1840; you illiterate git.

Not in this country. The gentry did but not a middle class, no.

What does this country look like in 20 years?

The Soviet Union in 1950.
he meant this to be a serious thread.

That is a serious answer. If we continue on the path we are on now, we will essentially be the USSR circa 1950 in 20 years. Lines for toilet paper and all.

I openly and proudly hate liberals. They lie. They bare false witness. They foment racial division. They foment gender division. They foment class envy. They undermine our Constitution, laws, and elections. I wasn't born hating liberals I learned to hate them.

@80zephyr ^ See?

He's being honest.

We could use more honesty from both ends of the spectrum.

Po' baby. So you were a bully in your youth, and are now prevented by laws from being the same as an adult.

I don't despise you, I just feel sorry for someone so immature that they have to ascribe to someone else all the shit that they have created in their own lives.

In 20 years I plan to be several years into living in another country. This country in my book is over, and at least half or more of the population currently living here wouldn't be worth fighting for.

Now, what is this nation going to look like in 20 years? More brown than black or white. More like the rest of the 1st world nations with a universal single payer health care system. 50% to 70% of our energy from alternatives. Coal already phased out, natural gas being phased out. At least the first two years of college paid for same as high school now, if not the first four years.

As for the kind of people that always have to have something to be 'agin', they will always be with us. And the rest of us will be telling the to 'fuck off', same as today.

Forum List

Back