what does the term unemployed mean to you?

When news outlets speak of the number of unemployed, who is really being labeled as “unemployed?

I checked the following and I could not find a direct definition of the unemployed.

Using a statistical base, how are these numbers derived?

Are the people I see living under overpasses classified as “unemployed”?
Unemployment Help | USAGov

I looked but I could not find the answer; can you?
And last but not least, have you ever been unemployed?
just curious
:)-
Just go ask half of America during the Obama Administration

Just go ask half of America during the Obama Administration

I have already done the asking. My post was asking you the question; answer my question then we can get into a long pleasant conversation about Obama-------- OK ?

When news outlets speak of the number of unemployed, who is really being labeled as “unemployed?

I checked the following and I could not find a direct definition of the unemployed.

just curious

People with jobs are employed. People who are jobless, looking for a job, and available for work are unemployed. The labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. People who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force.
correct, to be considered unemployed, one must be seeking work.

just curious
The unemployment data come from the Current Population Survey (CPS), a joint project of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and the Census Bureau.

Every month the Census estimates the total US population based on trends of births, deaths, immigration, emigration. For the CPS, the Population used is the adult civilian non-institutional population: everyone in the US age 16 and older excluding active duty military, prisoners, and those in mental institutions, nursing homes, etc.

for this population, Census interviews approximately 60,000 households every month, collecting data on everyone eligible in the household. The data are sent directly to BLS for processing.

Questions are asked only about the week that contains the twelfth. For that week, Individuals are classified as Employed if the meet any one of the following:
  • owned a business or farm whether or not s/he actually worked.
  • worked at least one hour for pay.
  • worked at least 15 hours unpaid in a family run business/farm.
  • did not work that week because of temporary illness/injury, bad weather, vacation, or strike AND did have a job to return to.

individuals are classified as Unemployed for the reference week if they do not meet any of the criteria for employed, AND could have started work that week if offered a job AND did anything to actively fund a job in the 4 weeks ending with the reference week. Those on temporary layoff from a job they expect to return to do not have to have looked for work.

The Employed plus the Unemployed are the Labor Force and the Unemployment rate is Unemployed as a percent of the labor force.

Everyone else in the population who is neither employed nor unemployed is classified as Not in the Labor Force.

I was wondering if the homeless living under overpasses are considered in those government statistics
Yes and no. Because the CPS is a household survey, no homeless are interviewed (unless they are couch surfing or otherwise staying at someone’s house). But since they are included in the population, they are included in the extrapolation from sample to overall population. Yes that means they are underrepresented, but the homeless are a small enough portion of the population that it doesn’t make any practical difference.

full documentation and methodology can be found at www.bls.gov/CPS and www.census.gov/CPS

just curious
The unemployment data come from the Current Population Survey (CPS), a joint project of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and the Census Bureau.

Every month the Census estimates the total US population based on trends of births, deaths, immigration, emigration. For the CPS, the Population used is the adult civilian non-institutional population: everyone in the US age 16 and older excluding active duty military, prisoners, and those in mental institutions, nursing homes, etc.

for this population, Census interviews approximately 60,000 households every month, collecting data on everyone eligible in the household. The data are sent directly to BLS for processing.

Questions are asked only about the week that contains the twelfth. For that week, Individuals are classified as Employed if the meet any one of the following:
  • owned a business or farm whether or not s/he actually worked.
  • worked at least one hour for pay.
  • worked at least 15 hours unpaid in a family run business/farm.
  • did not work that week because of temporary illness/injury, bad weather, vacation, or strike AND did have a job to return to.

individuals are classified as Unemployed for the reference week if they do not meet any of the criteria for employed, AND could have started work that week if offered a job AND did anything to actively fund a job in the 4 weeks ending with the reference week. Those on temporary layoff from a job they expect to return to do not have to have looked for work.

The Employed plus the Unemployed are the Labor Force and the Unemployment rate is Unemployed as a percent of the labor force.

Everyone else in the population who is neither employed nor unemployed is classified as Not in the Labor Force.

I was wondering if the homeless living under overpasses are considered in those government statistics
Yes and no. Because the CPS is a household survey, no homeless are interviewed (unless they are couch surfing or otherwise staying at someone’s house). But since they are included in the population, they are included in the extrapolation from sample to overall population. Yes that means they are underrepresented, but the homeless are a small enough portion of the population that it doesn’t make any practical difference.

full documentation and methodology can be found at www.bls.gov/CPS and www.census.gov/CPS
Thanks

Does the government statistics break it down
as of today,
30 carpenters, 19 electricians, 6 plumbers are seeking work in Dallas
were they considered?
I believe a better way is to create schools where one learns a trade....,i.e.,,,,,,,,-,--
carpenter ?
Electrician
Plumer
Doctor
and earn a living wage :)-

I appreciate the responses to this forum, but I still didn’t get the answer I was looking for. In the last several years our government has posted the lowest unemployment in decades. I was wondering if the homeless living under overpasses are considered in those government statistics. Personally, I doubt it. Trump’s world would rather pretend they don’t even exist.

talking to myself
please forgive me :)-

If your $200,000 college diploma says, "Gender Sensitivity Studies" that's unemployed.
as a bystander passing bye.........,..,....,.,
I am going to say it.,..,.,.,
You will hear it
.,.,.,.,.,...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...........................................Repent;
Ask for forgiveness
accept punishment for my betrayal
And you being "Israel",.,.,.,.,.,.
,.,.,.,. or was it Judas ?
only the ones in the know---Know
Or so sayith the word :)-

just curious

People with jobs are employed. People who are jobless, looking for a job, and available for work are unemployed. The labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. People who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force.
I agree with this characterization......you have employed and unemployed...the problem is the people not looking are still unemployed...so they should be counted in the numbers, but they aren't...and it has to do with politics

...so they should be counted in the numbers, but they aren't...and it has to do with politics

" but they aren't"

...99% of the human are interwoven because we know we are of the same

some day it may reach 100% or has it already--? :)-
They aren't the UE number is only people looking for work, if you stopped taking benefits and are not looking, you are not counted

Absolutely not. You have to wash your clothes, get a haircut, bathe, and make bona fide contact with an actual potential employer or hiring manager without being arrested for trespassing, loitering, prostitution, pandering, jaywalking, or soliciting or competing with honest family men for jobs. At least once or twice a week, with an appropriate résumé tailored to the position, with a completely and correctly filled out job application form, with a polite and professional cover letter, as well as letters of recommendation from three solid references other than family or former employers. Dot all your i's and cross all your t's and get the fuck off the property because you're just going to be arrested for hanging out in that district anyway.

Forum List

Back