What does God think about homeless people... ?

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021

These are the first of the Holy Mass readings for today, March 4, 2022

1st Reading – Isaiah 58:1-9A​

1 Thus says the Lord GOD: Cry out... unsparingly, lift up your voice like a trumpet blast; Tell my people their wickedness...

2 They seek me day after day, and desire to know my ways, Like a nation that has done what is just and not abandoned the law of their God; They ask me to declare what is due them, pleased to gain access to God.

3 “Why do we fast, and you do not see it? afflict ourselves, and you take no note of it?” Lo, on your fast day you carry out your own pursuits, and drive all your laborers.

4 Yes, your fast ends in quarreling and fighting... Would that today you might fast so as to make your voice heard on high!

5 Is this the manner of fasting I wish, of keeping a day of penance: That a man bow his head like a reed and lie in sackcloth and ashes? Do you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD?

6 This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; Setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke;

7 Sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless; Clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own.

8 Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall quickly be healed; Your vindication shall go before you, and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.

9A Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer, you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am!

What God thinks about homeless people is what God thinks about any people: Come to Him by accepting His son Jesus Christ as their savior, repent from their sins, and they will be given eternal life.

The doing of good deeds mentioned in Isaiah, was more of a Jewish thing, as well as animal sacrifice and observation of God's laws. Those things became of less importance after Jesus died on the cross and if anything, Isaiah as well as most all of the Old Testament, were just predictions of the coming of Christ.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be charitable, but nobody will ever get to heaven based on good deeds alone.

What God thinks about homeless people is what God thinks about any people: Come to Him by accepting His son Jesus Christ as their savior, repent from their sins, and they will be given eternal life.

The doing of good deeds mentioned in Isaiah, was more of a Jewish thing, as well as animal sacrifice and observation of God's laws. Those things became of less importance after Jesus died on the cross and if anything, Isaiah as well as most all of the Old Testament, were just predictions of the coming of Christ.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be charitable, but nobody will ever get to heaven based on good deeds alone.
God does not change

sorry but the first thing I thought in reading this was: typical protestant response... always, always focused on We don't Have to Do Good Deeds to get to Heaven, which I realize is a somewhat inaccurate paraphrase of what you said but...

in any case, you DO have to do good works. They are NOT optional...Do you think that if you were a millionaire and you saw a homeless person every day begging and you never gave this person a thing... that Jesus would let you into Heaven? and let's just assume you helped no one else either...

that is ridiculous and defies common sense, not to even mention the Word of God

James 2:14 tells us that faith without works is dead

dead... as in worthless..

sorry but the first thing I thought in reading this was: typical protestant response... always, always focused on We don't Have to Do Good Deeds to get to Heaven, which I realize is a somewhat inaccurate paraphrase of what you said but...

in any case, you DO have to do good works. They are NOT optional...Do you think that if you were a millionaire and you saw a homeless person every day begging and you never gave this person a thing... that Jesus would let you into Heaven? and let's just assume you helped no one else either...

that is ridiculous and defies common sense, not to even mention the Word of God

James 2:14 tells us that faith without works is dead

dead... as in worthless..

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."

John 6:28-29 "Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”​

Titus 3:5 "He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,"​

Romans 11:6 "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace. "​

2 Timothy 1:9 "Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, "​

These are the first of the Holy Mass readings for today, March 4, 2022

1st Reading – Isaiah 58:1-9A​

1 Thus says the Lord GOD: Cry out... unsparingly, lift up your voice like a trumpet blast; Tell my people their wickedness...

2 They seek me day after day, and desire to know my ways, Like a nation that has done what is just and not abandoned the law of their God; They ask me to declare what is due them, pleased to gain access to God.

3 “Why do we fast, and you do not see it? afflict ourselves, and you take no note of it?” Lo, on your fast day you carry out your own pursuits, and drive all your laborers.

4 Yes, your fast ends in quarreling and fighting... Would that today you might fast so as to make your voice heard on high!

5 Is this the manner of fasting I wish, of keeping a day of penance: That a man bow his head like a reed and lie in sackcloth and ashes? Do you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD?

6 This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; Setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke;

7 Sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless; Clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own.

8 Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall quickly be healed; Your vindication shall go before you, and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.

9A Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer, you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am!

Jesus was homeless.

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."

John 6:28-29 "Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”​

Titus 3:5 "He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,"​

Romans 11:6 "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace. "​

2 Timothy 1:9 "Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, "​

I can throw scripture at someone just as easily as any protestant..

I don't go by Bible-alone and neither should anyone...

so.. there's that... and that's why I can't really have a discussion w/ u

I tend to think God does not at all like a system that causes homelessness on such a HUGE scale.

I tend to think God wants those who have massive $$$ to help those who do not...

guess I am funny that way

one way to find out what God thinks of $$ (or actually, lack of sharing it) is

Lk 1619

interesting passage

Forum List

Back