What Do You Do About Lost Car Keys?

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
My wife lost the keys to her car this evening. She swears she had them in her pants pocket while at the gym and then when she was changing and put her pants back on they were gone. We thought we had a spare set, but if we do we can't find those either.

Has anyone dealt with this situation before? I'm guessing if we call the dealership in the morning they can have another key made, right?

My wife lost the keys to her car this evening. She swears she had them in her pants pocket while at the gym and then when she was changing and put her pants back on they were gone. We thought we had a spare set, but if we do we can't find those either.

Has anyone dealt with this situation before? I'm guessing if we call the dealership in the morning they can have another key made, right?

You could call the dealership, or you could call a locksmith.

Even if they can't help you, they can almost certainly direct you to someone who can.

Leave a note at the gym. Call the dealership. Most cars have chipped keys that have numbers that can be duplicated and a new set made.

Look for this guy He B splane it to yuz man . Ain nuttin but a thang bro
Stupid_5d1727_1958044.jpg

A locksmith is most likely your best option like Doc wrote.

Advice:

Keep three sets one on you, another in a drawer and a third set in a coded lock box.

Same thing happened to me some years ago. I ended up having to have a new ignition installed. They came to my house and installed it.

Good luck with it. Hope you find them.

P.S. I found my keys two years later in my mulch bed.

Last edited:

Talk to the dealer, if no joy, see a locksmith. In future, always keep a spare set at home. Also, you can get one of these magnetic doohickies to put under the car. I do that, after locking myself out a few times (keys inside car). I don't have the type of car likely to be stolen, and hide the magnetic key holder well under the car.

s-l225.jpg

Well depending on the car you might be in for a bit of sticker shock as some of the chipped keys or fobs can be quite costly.

When I was complaining to my car guy about the 80-90 bucks I paid for a replacement earlier this year he told me about one way worse. Think it was a particular model BMW that costs in the $600 area because something on the car itself needed replacing in order for it to work.

Well depending on the car you might be in for a bit of sticker shock as some of the chipped keys or fobs can be quite costly.

When I was complaining to my car guy about the 80-90 bucks I paid for a replacement earlier this year he told me about one way worse. Think it was a particular model BMW that costs in the $600 area because something on the car itself needed replacing in order for it to work.

Before my daughter returned to college her sophomore year we took the car she was going to be taking (Mazda 3) by our dealer for a full checkup, oil change, etc. While waiting I took her over to the parts window and pulled out the key fob (Chipped Key + Fob for remote unlock) and asked the guy how must the replacement cost was. $350 just for the fob, plus $50 keying fee.

I looked her "you lose it you buy it".

She took the spare and locked it in her safe, never had a problem. :))

>>>>

It’s $200

It’s $200
Sorry about that.

Yup -- dealership.

have you checked her boyfriends couch or car?

Forum List

Back