What Are Your Thoughts on Daylight Savings Time?

I think it's a futile exercise that should be eliminated.

This video is a hilarious summary of how I feel.

There are two states that dont observe DLST. Or move to the farthest western part of the state at the end of the time zone, and like Cincinnati, during DLST, it would be 10 o'clock pm before it got dark, and the sun didnt come up till 7 am...

I be like... Hey babe... I was gonna do that yard work, but it done got dark at 3

We need to just need to observe "Spring forward" next year but make it only half an hour. There are lots of places around the world that observe half-hour time zones. We could make it work easier than all of this springing forward and falling back. It will average the whole thing out of existence.

My son was in Afghanistan and was 9.5 hours off our local time.

I wish the powers that be simply pick one or the other and stick with it throughout the year. I've spent many years traveling to Hawaii and that's the state that doesn't do Daylight Savings Time. Which makes airline schedules slightly more complicated, because half the year it's two hours behind the west coast and half the year it's three. It's not a big deal to me, but it seems like an unnecessary inconvenience.

What’s the BFD? Twice a year you adjust your clocks but these days most of them self-adjust.

That said, I got a bit screwed up this morning. An Eastern time zoner I’m in CA for a week of golfing and goofing around with three friends. Always an early - 5 to 6 - riser, woke this morning in the house we’re renting and the bedside clock/radio read 5:16, so up I got and headed to the Starbucks nearby, that opens at 5.

Clock in my rental car read 5:32 as I headed out. Got there and it was still closed though? Huh? Checked my cell phone and it said 4:38. I’m thinking what the hell’s going on? With travel, time zone changes and whatnot totally forgot it was clock changing weekend, so headed to a 7-11 across the street for a coffee instead. Clerk was a nice engaging type guy so after a minute or two of chit chat I asked him what time it was because my phone and car clocks were an hour off? Which is when he reminded me of DST and we both had a good laugh.

I wish the powers that be simply pick one or the other and stick with it throughout the year. I've spent many years traveling to Hawaii and that's the state that doesn't do Daylight Savings Time. Which makes airline schedules slightly more complicated, because half the year it's two hours behind the west coast and half the year it's three. It's not a big deal to me, but it seems like an unnecessary inconvenience.

Hawaii doesn't need to change because it is so far south.

Here, on the very first day of standard time, I looked out the window at 5:00 pm and it is dark! We don't get that dark until about 11:00 pm in the summer.

I like my idea of the half hours better than doing away with it all together.

I never think about it, except the two times a year I'm late or early or work.

Actually, now that we all have smartphones, that doesn't happen any more either.

Forum List

Back