What are you reading?

Right now I'm reading "To kill a Mockingbird" of Harper Lee.
IMG_20240429_102848.jpg

Nice book so far.

I want to read but I am picky, since I am crippled now and can't get anywhere without the handicapped bus and they don't go everywhere I can't go browse the bookstore to find what I want, and my favorite authors are all old and don't write much anymore. I am no good searching online without a title or author name. So, I very seldom read now,

Right now I'm reading "To kill a Mockingbird" of Harper Lee.
View attachment 939475

Nice book so far.
Just finished reading of this book. Good language - rich enough to be educative but not enough to create real difficulty. Quite lovely descriptions of life, people and environment of Alabama.
But I don't understand why some people rate it so high. It's "strongly good", but, as for me, not "the world-changing work". And what do you think?

Just started "The Call of Cthulchu" by Lovecraft.

I was told that this work is useful for bettter understanding of American sense of fear (and it's difference from Romano-Germanic fear).

IMG_20240518_160344.jpg

A few chapters into this book.

It is about the US's long history with Noriega and how much we supported him. I knew some of this, but this book really goes in to details I had not heard before.

Amazon product

I want to read but I am picky, since I am crippled now and can't get anywhere without the handicapped bus and they don't go everywhere I can't go browse the bookstore to find what I want, and my favorite authors are all old and don't write much anymore. I am no good searching online without a title or author name. So, I very seldom read now,
I'm real sorry to hear that, Gunny. That sucks.

I have read many thousands of books. If you give me some idea of what you like, perhaps I can make some recommendations.

Favorite authors would clue me into what kind of books you might like. Genres, too.

I can make some recommendations, then you can read some reviews online and decide if I'm in the ballpark.

Not only are the old authors not putting out much, there aren't many bookstores around any more. I get most of my books from Amazon and Audible these days.

I just finished Lying For Money by Dan Davies.

It's pretty boring, disjointed, and brings nothing new to the fraud genre. I do not recommend.

The next book in my queue is War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Yeah.

But I first have a huge backlog of episodes for a bunch of podcasts I subscribe to.

I'm real sorry to hear that, Gunny. That sucks.

I have read many thousands of books. If you give me some idea of what you like, perhaps I can make some recommendations.

Favorite authors would clue me into what kind of books you might like. Genres, too.

I can make some recommendations, then you can read some reviews online and decide if I'm in the ballpark.

Not only are the old authors not putting out much, there aren't many bookstores around any more. I get most of my books from Amazon and Audible these days.
I like sci fi, war history, war fiction, and animal stories. ohh westerns too. My current fav author is John Ringo, and several other sci fi writers I can't think of right now. On TV I watch a lot of rom coms never tried reading one though.

I like sci fi, war history, war fiction, and animal stories. ohh westerns too. My current fav author is John Ringo, and several other sci fi writers I can't think of right now. On TV I watch a lot of rom coms never tried reading one though.
Hmmm. My favorite science fiction novel of all time is Snow Crash.

The author, Neal Stephenson, is a genius. He's the one who invented "avatar" for your online persona, and he invented the term "metaverse" (which Mark Zuckerberg has adopted for his company). Facebook is now Meta.

These terms made their first appearance in Snow Crash, way back in 1992.

Despite being written more than 30 years ago, the book is not dated in any way. It's still ahead of its time.

Even better, it is laced with humor and wise-assery.

In some of his books, Stephenson devotes way, way too many hours on explaining the world and technology the characters are in. I've chucked more than one of his books aside in frustration. But in Snow Crash, he found a perfect balance, in my opinion.

The book is crazy good.

If you like Snow Crash, The Diamond Age by Stephenson is also very good. It predicts a lot of science which is just now starting to be realized, and some that has yet to be manifested.

Ah! I just remembered something by Stephenson which might be right up your alley. Cryptonomicon. Great historical war fiction.

I'm afraid there is a giant hole in my literary background when it comes to Westerns. I know a guy, though. I'll ask him.

I don't know if Forrest Gump counts as a rom-com, but the book is way better than the movie. Books are always better than their movie adaptations.

War fiction? Have you ever read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller? That's WWII fiction about bomber pilots. It is also very funny.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll private message you when I have more ideas.

Last edited:
Hmmm. My favorite science fiction novel of all time is Snow Crash.

The author, Neal Stephenson, is a genius. He's the one who invented "avatar" for your online persona, and he invented the term "metaverse" (which Mark Zuckerberg has adopted for his company). Facebook is now Meta.

These terms made their first appearance in Snow Crash, way back in 1992.

Despite being written more than 30 years ago, the book is not dated in any way. It's still ahead of its time.

Even better, it is laced with humor and wise-assery.

In some of his books, Stephenson devotes way, way too many hours on explaining the world and technology the characters are in. I've chucked more than one of his books aside in frustration. But in Snow Crash, he found a perfect balance, in my opinion.

The book is crazy good.

I'm afraid there is a giant hole in my literary background when it comes to Westerns. I know a guy, though. I'll ask him.

I don't know if Forrest Gump counts as a rom-com, but the book is way better than the movie. Books are always better than their movie adaptations.

War fiction? Have you ever read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller? That's WWII fiction about bomber pilots. It is also very funny.
westerns are pretty rare now I read all of Louis La Moure ( cant spell his last name) books long ago, I really like sci fi but mostly for the action not the science. Ringo put out a series on a new kind of zombie like plague that devastates the world, Black Tide Rising is series name.

If you haven’t read it already, the Empire of Man series that Ringo wrote with David Weber is good.
I actually prefer Weber over Ringo. The Honor Harrington series is great space opera with plenty of military conflict, but mostly space battles rather than ground warfare. It’s dragging some at this point, but it’s 14 books in without counting the many spin off books.
Weber also has the Safehold series, which deals with a lot of sail-powered naval battles.
The closest I’ve done to a western is probably The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. While Id recommend that, I don’t know if it’s in your wheelhouse or not.

If you haven’t read it already, the Empire of Man series that Ringo wrote with David Weber is good.
I actually prefer Weber over Ringo. The Honor Harrington series is great space opera with plenty of military conflict, but mostly space battles rather than ground warfare. It’s dragging some at this point, but it’s 14 books in without counting the many spin off books.
Weber also has the Safehold series, which deals with a lot of sail-powered naval battles.
The closest I’ve done to a western is probably The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. While Id recommend that, I don’t know if it’s in your wheelhouse or not.
Weber doesn't seem to be writing much anymore he is rather old though. I have read most of his stuff. He is a favorite too I found Ringo because of him.

Has a new safehold come out in the last 2 or 3 years? He never actually finished it,

Honor Harrington with her constantly evolving pet? First books were really amazing, but the latest fell in the boring nonsense (as for me). Looks like he got tired of this Honorverse, too. And yes, Panslavic Ukrainians was the funny conception, too.

Ringo is certainly good, but, as for me - just "good", not "amazing". Talking about hard science fiction, Peter Watts is one of the best (his "Blindsight" was really educative and intellectually yummy piece of work for me).

Honor Harrington with her constantly evolving pet? First books were really amazing, but the latest fell in the boring nonsense (as for me). Looks like he got tired of this Honorverse, too. And yes, Panslavic Ukrainians was the funny conception, too.
From what I’ve read, Weber had planned to kill off Honor Harrington in book 5 or 6, but was convinced to continue the series. It certainly dropped off in the later books, although I still enjoy it.

Weber doesn't seem to be writing much anymore he is rather old though. I have read most of his stuff. He is a favorite too I found Ringo because of him.

Has a new safehold come out in the last 2 or 3 years? He never actually finished it,
I think the last Safehold book was 5 years ago.
An unfortunate trend with sci-fi and fantasy authors is starting a series and not finishing. Weber, George RR Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Robert Jordan (although dying is a valid excuse in his case lol).

I think the last Safehold book was 5 years ago.
An unfortunate trend with sci-fi and fantasy authors is starting a series and not finishing. Weber, George RR Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Robert Jordan (although dying is a valid excuse in his case lol).
well, he did conclude the war on Safehold he just never concluded the war with the aliens that killed planet earth.

Forum List

Back