What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Janis Joplin "Kozmic Blues" from the 1969 album "I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!", this song "Kozmic Blues" written by Janis Joplin and Gabriel Mekler, Mekler who was a Palestinian, also worked with the wonderful Etta James, like Joplin, he also died young at the age of 35 in a motorcycle accident in 1977.

Janis Joplin an utterly unique and organic artiste, also another great Texan, from Port Arthur, Texas :smile:

Janis Joplin "Kozmic Blues"

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Dick Dale and His Del-Tones "The Victor" from Dale's fourth album 1964's "Mr. Eliminator" on Capitol Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Dick Dale and His Del-Tones "The Victor" from Dale's fourth album 1964's "Mr. Eliminator" on Capitol Records.

Dick Dale and His Del-Tones "Banzai Washout" from Dale's fifth album also released in 1964 "Summer Surf" (like "Mr. Eliminator") on Capitol Records.

The You Tube video appears to take the song from the "Better Shred Than Dead" 1997 Rhino Records Dick Dale Anthology, but it's the exact same recording as is on the 1964 album "Summer Surf"

This really IS a barnstormer:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

In honour of Maurice White, who left us February 3rd at age 74. He founded Earth, Wind & Fire and was their frontman.

Earth, Wind & Fire "September" released 1978 on Columbia Records, this is just a great song and you don't even have to like Disco to think this is good:

Bless every single musician in "Earth, Wind and Fire" !!!!!

They were something amazing!!!!:clap2:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Cramps "Human Fly" released originally in 1978 on Vengeance Records "7 with "Domino" as B-Side.

The upfront reverb guitar by Poison Ivy Rorschach is basically sublime, the fuzz guitar by Bryan Gregory sounds just like a buzzsaw....Lux Interior the front man, one of the great f-cked-up geniuses....sadly he and Bryan Gregory no longer with us. Lux Interior died of heart-attack in 2009 and Bryan Gregory died of multiple organ failure in 2001.

The Cramps "Human Fly":

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Cramps "Human Fly" released originally in 1978 on Vengeance Records "7 with "Domino" as B-Side.

The upfront reverb guitar by Poison Ivy Rorschach is basically sublime, the fuzz guitar by Bryan Gregory sounds just like a buzzsaw....Lux Interior the front man, one of the great f-cked-up geniuses....sadly he and Bryan Gregory no longer with us. Lux Interior died of heart-attack in 2009 and Bryan Gregory died of multiple organ failure in 2001.

The Cramps "Human Fly":

The Cramps "Domino" which was B-Side to "Human Fly" as I already said. This is a cover of Roy Orbison's "A Cat Called Domino" which he recorded in 1957 for Sun Records.

Here's Roy Orbison's original "A Cat Called Domino" Sun Records:

Edited to add Roy Orbison.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back