What are you listening to?

Bless every single musician in "Earth, Wind and Fire" !!!!!

They were something amazing!!!!:clap2:
400x400_20160129131448-Untitled-45 copy 3.jpg

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Igor Stravinsky "Movements for Piano and Orchestra" written in 1958 during Stravinsky's Serial Period which began in 1954 and was completed in 1968.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Tammi Terrell "I Gotta Find A Way (To Get You Back)" recorded 1967 for Tamla Motown records and never released.

Tammi Terrell, very beautiful, very talented and very tragic. She first got her brain tumour in early 1968, from then on her public appearances halted to none, in two years she had something like 8 brain operations, but the brain tumour kept returning and she died in March 1970 aged only 24 years.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Fall my favourite band ever, Sonic Youth my second favourite band ever.

Sonic Youth "Sugar Kane" from the 1992 album "Dirty" on DGC Records....this is a Thurston Moore song:

This "Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit" is a Kim Gordon song, always more 'um activated than Thurston Moore's songs:

Sonic Youth "Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit" from the 1992 album "Dirty" on DGC Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Darlene Love "A Fine, Fine Boy" released 1963 on Philles Records the B Side is "Nino & Sonny (Big Trouble)"

Jacques Brel "La chanson des vieux amants" from Brel's ninth album "Jacques Brel 67" released in of course 1967 on Barclay Records.

Like most of Jacques Brel's recordings, it's beautiful and sad all at the same time, a great Belgian and a true Artiste.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Shangri-Las "The Train From Kansas City" released on 7" in 1965 on Red Bird records, this was the B Side, the A Side of the "7 is "Right Now and Not Later"

18 singles and 2 albums in roughly 2 and a half years, this was The Shangri-Las entire recording career, and it's all wonderful and very often highly dramatic and traumatic stuff such as "Past, Present and Future" from 1966. Ultimately a tragic group, they began to disintegrate in 1967, beset with amongst other things Mary Ann Ganser's drug problems, she died in 1970 aged only 22 years.

The Weiss sisters, Mary and Elizabeth very good looking, the Ganser sisters, Mary Ann and Marge, not good looking.

Here's the A-Side "Right Now and Not Later":

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Artie Shaw "Stardust" recorded in 1941 for RCA Victor records, the trumpet is Billy Butterfield. "Stardust" is one of the greatest compositions ever written IMHO, music from Hoagy Carmichael with lyrics from Mitchell Parish.

This Artie Shaw version of "Stardust" obviously instrumental and it's my favourite version of the song, it's dreamy and just all round sublime.

Forum List

Back