Zone1 What are you focused on when you go to Church or attempt to follow God?

Any waitress who reads this would be laughing and shaking her head. Anyone who carefully watches a full glass of water as they they walk along with it is going to get spills and splashes. Ironically, walking normally without looking at the glass of water won't have these spills. Try it.

On the other hand, obviously the lady did have the wrong focus. How can the themes of the readings and homily from this past weekend? I try to hold onto them for an entire week...but forget them more often than not. This past Sunday was the lessons from the sower and the seed, and in Old Testament how rain and snow do not return to the heavens until they have accomplished their purpose on earth. Each day are we accomplishing the purpose God set for us that day? Are we preparing the soil of our hearts, minds, and souls so that seeds may take root and produce?

Yes, this week, I am remembering, but there are way too many times when I wake up Monday morning and the lessons we were given for this coming week has slipped my mind entirely.
I'll agree with that! I used to take notes in our Sacrament meetings when two or three speakers in the congregation would speak on different subjects. Also, in Sunday School and my Priesthood meetings. Somewhere, I've gotten away from it. I think it was when children came along and I had to deal with squirely kids. We need to get back with this. I'm going to start again. See if that helps to remember better.

That is why I don't attend church regularly.
I would guess that different Christian sects and religions have different reasons for things like baptisms and the Sacraments of the Lord. In our Church, the Sacrament meeting held once a week on Sundays main purpose is to partake of the Sacrament for certain reasons: 1. To renew our Baptismal and Temple covenants we have made. 2. To remember the atonement our Savior has provided for us to over come our guilt of sin. 3. To worship the Father in the name of the Son and help others who attend gain a stronger testimony. 4. To share our testimonies of Jesus Christ, The restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ and many other testimonies we gain.
Sunday School and other meetings are only appendages to the Sacrament meeting. But, in those meetings, we can learn more to better understand our relationship to the Father and Son and Holy Ghost. I find that I always learn something every Sunday. I've been going every week for 46 years except when I'm sick. During Covid19 shutdown, we had Zoom meetings and with the Priesthood, I was able to bless the Sacraments in the Home and have lessons at home. But, unable to share a lot because of isolation except for Zoom.

No need to complicate something simple. Jesus took bread, blessed it and broke it, and said, "Take and eat, for this is my body which will be given up for you." No mention of chewing or what happens in the gut.

We Are One Body, One Body in Christ is a Catholic communion hymn. My favorite verse is Christ saying, "You are my body and my hands and feet; my word of light to everyone you meet."
Oh, come on. Everyone chews the bread or you would choke. The point wasn't about chewing anyways. It was about when does the sacraments change to flesh and blood for Catholics.

Apparently at different times. Read about Eucharistic Miracles.

So, you believe in cannibalism? The point is, the Eucharist doesn't change to flesh and blood. We partake of these in remembrance of the atonement of Jesus Christ. And yes, miracles do happen to people who partake in righteousness.

Oh, come on. Everyone chews the bread or you would choke.
No so. I never choked. However, scripture is the reason for chewing. In fact, 'gnawing' might be the better translation. The Word of God is not meant to be thought of as something that melts away, but as something that needs to be thoroughly worked on .

Agreed. But Catholic teachings disagrees with us. They teach there is a transformation in our bodies after we swallow. Not sure about chewing the bread.
Yes. I've been bantering with Catholics over this issue for years. I've gone so far as to suggest testing the eaten and swallowed bread after it reaches the stomach. Of course, it would still be bread. So the taking of bread and wine is purely symbolic. Important symbolism?? Of course, but it's a spiritual act.

Yes. I've been bantering with Catholics over this issue for years. I've gone so far as to suggest testing the eaten and swallowed bread after it reaches the stomach. Of course, it would still be bread. So the taking of bread and wine is purely symbolic. Important symbolism?? Of course, but it's a spiritual act.

People convince themselves of a lot of things in the name of spirituality.

A discussion about Transubstantiation is often putting the cart before the horse, and therefore a little bemusing at times. Imagine meeting Jesus for the first time. He picks up a piece of bread and says, "Take and eat. This is my body."

I don't know about you, but I would suddenly remember another place I just had to be. Immediately.

But that is not how I was introduced to Jesus. I first heard his teachings. I began putting them into practice--and for me, there were some amazing results, life changing even. Practicing what he taught and seeing the effect on my life resulted in trusting what Jesus taught. It built faith. Therefore, when it came to the point of hearing "This is my body...this is my blood" the trust and the faith were already there. I did not have to understand how it could be so, I simply had faith and trust that Jesus knew what he spoke of, just as he had in the rest of what he taught and what I learned from him.

A lady went to the Pastor and said, "I won't be attending Church anymore."
He said. "May I ask why?"
She said, "I see people on their cell phones during the service, some are gossiping, some just aren't living right, they are all just hypocrites."
The Pastor got silent and he said, "Okay...but can I ask you to do something for me before you make your final decision?"
She said, "What's that?"
He said, "Take a glass of water and walk around the Church 2 times and don't let any water fall out of the glass."
She said, "Yes, I can do that."
She came back and said, "It's done."
He asked her 3 questions:
1. Did you see anybody on their phones?
2. Did you see or hear anybody gossiping?
3. Was anybody living wrong?
She said, "I didn't see anything because I was so focused on this glass, so the water wouldn't fall."
He said, "When you come to Church, you should be just as focused on God so that you don't fall. That's why Jesus said, "Follow Me." He did not say follow Christians. Don't let your relationship with God be determined by how others relate with God. Let it be determined by how focused you are on God."

How many times I see this happen. There are 2 types of judgment. Righteous Judgment and Unrighteous Judgment. When we judge righteously, it should not take us away from the truth. Leaving any church means apostasy comes shortly afterwards because we focus on things that steer us away from God and the truth. At that point, we judge unrighteously and the spiral continues until we denounce God completely.
When I go to "church" it's because someone died....or is in process of suicide(wedding). If I need to consult God, I whent two skeul and learneded how to reed.

A discussion about Transubstantiation is often putting the cart before the horse, and therefore a little bemusing at times. Imagine meeting Jesus for the first time. He picks up a piece of bread and says, "Take and eat. This is my body."

I don't know about you, but I would suddenly remember another place I just had to be. Immediately.

But that is not how I was introduced to Jesus. I first heard his teachings. I began putting them into practice--and for me, there were some amazing results, life changing even. Practicing what he taught and seeing the effect on my life resulted in trusting what Jesus taught. It built faith. Therefore, when it came to the point of hearing "This is my body...this is my blood" the trust and the faith were already there. I did not have to understand how it could be so, I simply had faith and trust that Jesus knew what he spoke of, just as he had in the rest of what he taught and what I learned from him.
Jesus spoke in metaphorical terms many times throughout His first advent. He spoke of "planting seeds" which we know means to spread the Gospel message. He spoke of "fishing for men" which of course means winning souls to Christ. He spoke of the "four corners of the earth" which can only mean every place on earth since the earth is round. He's referred to as a Lion, Lamb, Light, Door, and a number of other metaphorical titles. There's no need to take the terms "flesh and blood" literally when we can just as easily take them metaphorically or symbolically or spiritually.

A lady went to the Pastor and said, "I won't be attending Church anymore."
He said. "May I ask why?"
She said, "I see people on their cell phones during the service, some are gossiping, some just aren't living right, they are all just hypocrites."
The Pastor got silent and he said, "Okay...but can I ask you to do something for me before you make your final decision?"
She said, "What's that?"
He said, "Take a glass of water and walk around the Church 2 times and don't let any water fall out of the glass."
She said, "Yes, I can do that."
She came back and said, "It's done."
He asked her 3 questions:
1. Did you see anybody on their phones?
2. Did you see or hear anybody gossiping?
3. Was anybody living wrong?
She said, "I didn't see anything because I was so focused on this glass, so the water wouldn't fall."
He said, "When you come to Church, you should be just as focused on God so that you don't fall. That's why Jesus said, "Follow Me." He did not say follow Christians. Don't let your relationship with God be determined by how others relate with God. Let it be determined by how focused you are on God."

How many times I see this happen. There are 2 types of judgment. Righteous Judgment and Unrighteous Judgment. When we judge righteously, it should not take us away from the truth. Leaving any church means apostasy comes shortly afterwards because we focus on things that steer us away from God and the truth. At that point, we judge unrighteously and the spiral continues until we denounce God completely.
Reminds me of a joke I heard

Toward the end of the Sunday service, the Minister asked, "How many of you have forgiven your enemies?"

80% held up their hands. The Minister then repeated his question. All responded this time, except one man, Walter Barnes.

"Mr. Barnes, are you not willing to forgive your enemies?"

"I don't have any," he replied gruffly.

"Mr. Barnes, that is very unusual. How old are you?"

"Ninety-eight," he replied. The congregation stood up and clapped their hands.

"Oh, Mr. Barnes, would you please come down in front and tell us all how a person can live ninety-eight years and not have an enemy in the world?"

The old golfer tottered down the aisle, stopped in front of the pulpit, turned around, faced the congregation, and said simply, "I outlived all them jerk offs."

:auiqs.jpg:

Jesus spoke in metaphorical terms many times throughout His first advent. He spoke of "planting seeds" which we know means to spread the Gospel message. He spoke of "fishing for men" which of course means winning souls to Christ. He spoke of the "four corners of the earth" which can only mean every place on earth since the earth is round. He's referred to as a Lion, Lamb, Light, Door, and a number of other metaphorical titles. There's no need to take the terms "flesh and blood" literally when we can just as easily take them metaphorically or symbolically or spiritually.
It sounds like you have it all figured out. :)

When I go to "church" it's because someone died....or is in process of suicide(wedding). If I need to consult God, I whent two skeul and learneded how to reed.
So, you never learned a thing. gotcha.

Reminds me of a joke I heard

Toward the end of the Sunday service, the Minister asked, "How many of you have forgiven your enemies?"

80% held up their hands. The Minister then repeated his question. All responded this time, except one man, Walter Barnes.

"Mr. Barnes, are you not willing to forgive your enemies?"

"I don't have any," he replied gruffly.

"Mr. Barnes, that is very unusual. How old are you?"

"Ninety-eight," he replied. The congregation stood up and clapped their hands.

"Oh, Mr. Barnes, would you please come down in front and tell us all how a person can live ninety-eight years and not have an enemy in the world?"

The old golfer tottered down the aisle, stopped in front of the pulpit, turned around, faced the congregation, and said simply, "I outlived all them jerk offs."

:auiqs.jpg:
Funny!
There are those at church that seek out gossip and look for trouble. The story I wrote is a good example of what we should be doing at Church. Not finding fault in others.

Forum List

Back