What are the forum "copyright laws"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
So I had a thread locked because I posted the story in its entirety, which allegedly was in violation of "copyright laws", (and if in violation of forum rules than that is another argument) but the story came from a free source, Yahoo.com, and the NYT (which i do not subscribe to) allows news outlets like Yahoo to purchse its stories for reprint, or they may source them to Yahoo for free, in an attempt to gain a wider audience and more paying customers.

Since the link to the NYT written story was from Yahoo, a free source of news, versus the NYT, a paywalled subscriber only news source, how is it in violation of copyright law?

So I had a thread locked because I posted the story in its entirety, which allegedly was in violation of "copyright laws", (and if in violation of forum rules than that is another argument) but the story came from a free source, Yahoo.com, and the NYT (which i do not subscribe to) allows news outlets like Yahoo to purchse its stories for reprint, or they may source them to Yahoo for free, in an attempt to gain a wider audience and more paying customers.

Since the link to the NYT written story was from Yahoo, a free source of news, versus the NYT, a paywalled subscriber only news source, how is it in violation of copyright law?
Nothing is exactly free. It is free to read, sure, but they count on ads to pay for it. By posting the entire story, you are helping bypass Yahoo.

USMB is opening itself to a potential lawsuit from Yahoo if this is allowed—my 2c.

Yahoo, more than likely, has an agreement with NYT, to republish their content, on select stories.

OTH? Since this is the internet, folks can make videos, and use portions of copyrighted work, to make their own content, this is called, "FAIR USE," doctrine.

If the person using the work, is not paying to reproduce said work, and/or does not have the author or copyright holder's permission to reproduce that work, in its entirety, the law states the following;

"Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—"

<snip>

"(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and"

<snip>

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

And, as I posted in your thread, the written forum rule is much shorter, and more precise, but says, essentially the same;

Copyright: Link each "Copy & Paste" to its source. Only paste a small to medium section of the material. (There is a 15 post minimum for new members before you are allowed to use this feature.) When starting a new thread and declaring something as fact in your opening post, you must link to a source. For example, "Polls say 2/3 of people think x, y, z." You need to link to a source for one of those alleged polls. Telling others to Google it on their own is not acceptable.

. . . I do apologize if you had either the author's, Yahoo, or the NYT's permission to C/P that entire article. . .

Did you?

:dunno:

Post it in parts.

Yahoo would be in violation of copyright laws if they did not have permission, right?
Yeah, one would assume . . . . . :dunno:

I'm guessing some of their ad revenue from those articles either goes back to the NYT, or the author.

Just as when free streaming services carry a movie or TEE VEE show that was made by any other company, and it is sponsored by ads.

Nothing is really for free in this world. Or not at least in the western world. I don't think most of the world anyway.

This is why this site needs volunteers. . . enforcing the commercial laws, is probably more important than the silly political shit. :lol:

Post it in parts.
Try it. See what I do if I catch you trying to subvert the rules/law.

iu

Nothing is exactly free. It is free to read, sure, but they count on ads to pay for it. By posting the entire story, you are helping bypass Yahoo.

USMB is opening itself to a potential lawsuit from Yahoo if this is allowed—my 2c.
I rarely find myself agreeing with Minnie. But I think he is pretty much on the mark on this one.

Yahoo does not have a lot of original content, they pay for it and offer it to the public for free. I don't see how republishing something from a free site like Yahoo is in violation of copyright law.

Respect Intellectual Property Rights

Yahoo respects the intellectual property of authors and creators and we ask our users to do the same. Yahoo may in accordance with its Terms of Service and in appropriate circumstances and at its discretion, disable and/or terminate without notice the accounts of users who may be infringing the intellectual property rights of others.

They say nothing about prohibiting reposting of their news somewhere else. "Respecting intellectual property" by the rules specified by Yahoo says nothing about not reposting their stories.

Does this mean instead not to use an authors content in something you create?

Yahoo does not have a lot of original content, they pay for it and offer it to the public for free. I don't see how republishing something from a free site like Yahoo is in violation of copyright law.

They say nothing about prohibiting reposting of their news somewhere else. "Respecting intellectual property" by the rules specified by Yahoo says nothing about not reposting their stories.

Does this mean instead not to use an authors content in something you create?
These are USMB rules:
Copyright: Link each "Copy & Paste" to its source. Only paste a small to medium section of the material.
Not all Rules and Regulations are written. Not every circumstance can be foreseen. Moderator discretion does apply.

This board isn't going to take a chance of a law suit over a copyright violation.
We don't know what is and what isn't a copyright, and we won't take a chance.
Rule of thumb.....small to medium section to me means 3-4 paragraphs.

The two exceptions are the Bible and the Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back