What are some of your favorite Science Fiction books, all-time?

1597157449063.png

Soon to be banned due to content Conan volumes 1-12.

*****SMILE*****

:)

This would include either novels or short fiction collections. My favorites include - The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury, The Illustrated Man, by Ray Bradbury, The Sirens of Titan, by Kurt Vonnegut, Deathbird Stories, by Harlan Ellison, and Strange Wine, by Harlan Ellison.

Stranger in a Strange Land.

Do you know Stranger in a Strange Land was banned from school reading lists based on its controversial themes. The description of The Church of All Worlds' communal living situation and belief in free love were deemed inappropriate. ... The novel remained banned in Texas schools until 2003.

View attachment 373710

And now schools ban things like Gone With The Wind, Huckleberry Finn, and the like. I'll even bet Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs are on the hit list for progressive banning due to content.

Matthew 7:3
"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"
American Standard Version

*****SMILE*****

Why point fingers on this thread? Do you really believe progressives and not conservatives seek to censor books and films?

View attachment 373737

Why did you?

*****SMILE*****

Why did I do what? Censor you? I don't have that power, nor would I want to censor anyone who posts on a message board.

View attachment 373743

Don't act coy. You are the one who started posting about the banning of books. I merely pointed out that it continues even today by other groups of people. If you don't like the comparison then perhaps you should look into that mote as you build your bonfire because it makes you no better than those you accuse.

*****CHUCKLE*****

I'm not being coy, you opened the door with this partisan comment:

"And now schools ban things like Gone With The Wind, Huckleberry Finn, and the like. I'll even bet Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs are on the hit list for progressive banning due to content."

View attachment 373746

Texas is known to be conservative. Which is where this conversation began.

Your point about partisan is?

*****SMILE*****

MY comment was a quote, I could have picked Boston if I wanted to interpose banning of books, but the book I most enjoyed was Stranger in a Strange Land; I was surprised by the quote that this book was banned.

Boston has a long history of banning books, centuries before Texas became a state.

This would include either novels or short fiction collections. My favorites include - The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury, The Illustrated Man, by Ray Bradbury, The Sirens of Titan, by Kurt Vonnegut, Deathbird Stories, by Harlan Ellison, and Strange Wine, by Harlan Ellison.

Stranger in a Strange Land.

Do you know Stranger in a Strange Land was banned from school reading lists based on its controversial themes. The description of The Church of All Worlds' communal living situation and belief in free love were deemed inappropriate. ... The novel remained banned in Texas schools until 2003.

View attachment 373710

And now schools ban things like Gone With The Wind, Huckleberry Finn, and the like. I'll even bet Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs are on the hit list for progressive banning due to content.

Matthew 7:3
"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"
American Standard Version

*****SMILE*****

Why point fingers on this thread? Do you really believe progressives and not conservatives seek to censor books and films?

View attachment 373737

Why did you?

*****SMILE*****

Why did I do what? Censor you? I don't have that power, nor would I want to censor anyone who posts on a message board.

View attachment 373743

Don't act coy. You are the one who started posting about the banning of books. I merely pointed out that it continues even today by other groups of people. If you don't like the comparison then perhaps you should look into that mote as you build your bonfire because it makes you no better than those you accuse.

*****CHUCKLE*****

I'm not being coy, you opened the door with this partisan comment:

"And now schools ban things like Gone With The Wind, Huckleberry Finn, and the like. I'll even bet Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs are on the hit list for progressive banning due to content."

View attachment 373746

Texas is known to be conservative. Which is where this conversation began.

Your point about partisan is?

*****SMILE*****

MY comment was a quote, I could have picked Boston if I wanted to interpose banning of books, but the book I most enjoyed was Stranger in a Strange Land; I was surprised by the quote that this book was banned.

Boston has a long history of banning books, centuries before Texas became a state.

1597158162181.png

Yet you made a point of using Texas as your example.

*****SMILE*****

Star Ship Troopers.
Good book, garbage movie that had very little in common. :)

Star Ship Troopers.
Good book, garbage movie that had very little in common. :)
I thought the movie was somewhat entertaining. It had an underlying dark humor about it that I liked. And a couple of the women in it were hot, especially Denise Richards.

Big Red and Old yeller. Honestly I never read much of anything else.I read a book called Sixguns by Elmer Kieth that I assumed fiction until I followed the script and could pretty much duplicate what he'd done.
I read a book called "Cops' in the late sixties that was a decent read.
I have hundreds of books on plants of all sorts, metallurgy, gunsmithing, welding, veterinary medicine(especially psittacine) . One of my faves is a lil manual called "how to run a lathe"By South Bend. I don't waste my time on stupid shit

Big Red and Old yeller. Honestly I never read much of anything else.I read a book called Sixguns by Elmer Kieth that I assumed fiction until I followed the script and could pretty much duplicate what he'd done.
I read a book called "Cops' in the late sixties that was a decent read.
I have hundreds of books on plants of all sorts, metallurgy, gunsmithing, welding, veterinary medicine(especially psittacine) . One of my faves is a lil manual called "how to run a lathe"By South Bend. I don't waste my time on stupid shit
Well, at least you DO read. So there's THAT.

Maybe not my favorite, but one I've spent a long time thinking about over the years ... "Dragon's Egg", by Robert Forward.

An exploding supernova becomes a Neutron Star. Only 50 light years from earth, the resulting radiation reaches Earth and triggers mutations in mammal life, leading to man.

The as the rogue neutron star approaches Earth, life develops on its surface. With a gravity man millions of times greater than ours, that life evolves quickly by our reckoning, A day to them is only .2 seconds to us. People on Earth detect the neutron star passing close to us and send a probe to it. But the time it arrives, intelligent life on the neutron star see that ship that appears to stand still over their world and worship it as a god. Eventually, they send light messages to it which the spaceship detects as life. The creatures of the star develop space travel and meet the astronauts on the space ship.

I read this novel shortly after it came out in 1980.
One of my favorites. It's an amazing story.

Forum List

Back