What are some of your favorite horror films, all-time?

I've never been a fan of "slasher" horror films, which tend to have WAY too much gratuitous violence and weak story lines. The only slasher film I think that was/is decent is the first Halloween film. It had some clever scenes and wasn't overly violent. I prefer horror films that make you THINK, have good story lines, AND scare the crap out of me. Some of my favorites include Rosemary's Baby, from 1968, that starred Mia Farrow and Ruth Gordon. It's still my favorite horror film. The story, written by Ira Levin, is top notch, and Roman Polanski's direction is fantastic. Other favorites include Dawn of the Dead, Poltergeist, The Exorcist, The Shining, the one with Jack Nicholson, The Dead Zone, the movie version with Christopher Walken, although the TV series, with Anthony Michael Hall, is also quite good. Carrie, the original one with Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie, and also a couple comedic horror films, An American Werewolf in London, and Shaun of the Dead. I like how both films did a great job of combining horror with comedy. Also a couple newer "ghost" story films, The Sixth Sense and The Others. And I also like The Orphanage, which has a remarkable ending that actually makes me fear death less than I would have if I hadn't seen the film.
2 best
1979 Alien and 1982 The Thing

Also likes 1979 Halloween and the 1984 original Nightmare on ES

Pet Sematary, Cujo, IT, Christine, Carrie are the top ones that I can think of. :)

The Changeling from 1980, with George C. Scott, not to be mistaken for a more recent movie with the same title.

The Shining and The Birds are favorites of mine too.

Carpenter's "Vampires" with James Woods is pretty good . Going back in time "Them" with James Arness kept my attention as a kid.

Carpenter's "Vampires" with James Woods is pretty good . Going back in time "Them" with James Arness kept my attention as a kid.
"Vampires" was a disappointment, even though I'm a big James Woods fan, because I had read the book, "Vampire$" previously, and it was really good...... highly recommend it.

Forum List

Back