What are some of your favorite double album sets, originally released.........

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
........as two-disc sets on vinyl, and later as two-CD sets? Some of mine include Electric Ladyland, by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Beatles, commonly known as The White Album, by the Beatles, Layla and Assorted Love Songs, by Derek and the Dominoes, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, by Elton John. My absolute favorite double disc set is Songs in the Key of Life, by Stevie Wonder. While the other sets I mentioned have a couple or three mediocre tracks, the Stevie Wonder set is ALL fantastic songs. So, what are some of YOUR favorites?

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Everyone knows the hits but the other songs were really good also.
Yep, absolutely great double-disc set of songs. It's PROBABLY my second favorite double disc set, after Songs in the Key of Life. There's really only one song on GYBR that I don't care for too much, "I've Seen That Movie Too". It just kind of drags on a bit too much for my taste. But I love the rest of the songs on the album(s).

........as two-disc sets on vinyl, and later as two-CD sets? Some of mine include Electric Ladyland, by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Beatles, commonly known as The White Album, by the Beatles, Layla and Assorted Love Songs, by Derek and the Dominoes, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, by Elton John. My absolute favorite double disc set is Songs in the Key of Life, by Stevie Wonder. While the other sets I mentioned have a couple or three mediocre tracks, the Stevie Wonder set is ALL fantastic songs. So, what are some of YOUR favorites?
One other that comes quickly to mind is RARE EARTH In Concert. Album looked like a backpack.
Oh, and Umma Gumma by Pink Floyd.
Also, the original AIR FORCE double album is great. Killer.

MI0001644213.jpg

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Everyone knows the hits but the other songs were really good also.
Yep, absolutely great double-disc set of songs. It's PROBABLY my second favorite double disc set, after Songs in the Key of Life. There's really only one song on GYBR that I don't care for too much, "I've Seen That Movie Too". It just kind of drags on a bit too much for my taste. But I love the rest of the songs on the album(s).
Yeah that one is kinda blah.

Oh I got a good one for you. Waiting For Columbus by Little Feat. Great album set!
I like a LOT of stuff by Little Feat, but unbelievably I've never heard this one. I've read some great reviews for it, I'll check it on YouTube. Thanks for the recommendation. I REALLY liked Lowell George, the band definitely wasn't the same after he died.

Steely Dan- Greatest Hits
Genesis- Second's Out and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti and The Song Remains the Same
Rush- All the World's a Stage and Exit, Stage Left
Jethro Tull- Living in the Past
Yes- YesSongs ( 3 record set)
Frank Zappa- Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar (3 record set)
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Whitney- The Greatest Hits
Woodstock- (3 record set )

Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" I feel is rather underappreciated. Many of the Lindsay Buckingham tracks are to blame for that, but I find its sometimes jarring sounds and tempos compared to the other tracks is interesting enough. I can play the double-album all the way through, something I can't say for The Beatles' "White Album."

One other that comes quickly to mind is RARE EARTH In Concert. Album looked like a backpack.
Oh, and Umma Gumma by Pink Floyd.
Also, the original AIR FORCE double album is great. Killer.

View attachment 325972
I've never heard any of these. I've heard OF them, of course. Thanks for the recommendations, tf. And I always liked Rare Earth. I still have a 45 single by them, "Hey Big Brother". It was one of my favorite songs of the early 1970's.

Last edited:
Steely Dan- Greatest Hits
Genesis- Second's Out and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti and The Song Remains the Same
Rush- All the World's a Stage and Exit, Stage Left
Jethro Tull- Living in the Past
Yes- YesSongs ( 3 record set)
Frank Zappa- Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar (3 record set)
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Whitney- The Greatest Hits
Woodstock- (3 record set )
Some great ones there, Angelo. Thanks! I DO own a couple of these, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Physical Graffiti. And I USED to own Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar on CD. I need to replace that one. It features some great instrumental work by Frank.

Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" I feel is rather underappreciated. Many of the Lindsay Buckingham tracks are to blame for that, but I find its sometimes jarring sounds and tempos compared to the other tracks is interesting enough. I can play the double-album all the way through, something I can't say for The Beatles' "White Album."
Yep, Tusk IS fantastic! I own the CD version of this one. In some ways I like it even better than Rumours. I DO think Rumours MAY be the most perfect pop/rock album ever made, but I love the experimentation on Tusk.

Forum List

Back