What are some of your favorite books by Stephen King?

I've read them all, although when he shifted from the horror genre some time ago I stopped. Read 1 or 2 of those and that was it, but when he was at the height of his game, his stuff was awesome.

Stand
Salem's Lot
Tommyknockers
The Shining

I own every word the guy has ever written.

The top choices here are pretty much universal. He was a magic man back then.

Then he went and got sober and fucked up everything.

But Bag of Bones is a favorite of mine, along with the obvious choices.

The Shining. It. The Stand. Salem's Lot not far behind.

I sorta laid off King after The Tommyknockers. Something was missing after that.

One of these day I may binge the Dark Tower series.

I sorta laid off King after The Tommyknockers. Something was missing after that.

I was not a fan of the Dark Tower series. I think he was experimenting with the concept of a novel in a short story release format. I think it bombed.

I did like the Tommyknockers and of course, all those on the top tier list.

I agree.
I use to read everything he did till the early nineties... then have only read a handful since. He has certainly done good books since then, but it is a bit like a box of chocolates now. A good one here and there with a lot of meh in between.

Having said that, I would agree with most The Stand was his best work. Dreamcatcher was a great book, but lead to a dreadful movie. Misery was very good. There are so many it is hard to say really.
But none had the depth and story creation of The Stand.
I have always wanted The Stand to be done by HBO as a 3 part series. A 2 hour movie can't do it. And it needs to be done right, with a good producer, actors etc. and not a bunch of cheap cheesy "B" actors his movies usually get.

The Stand. Both versions.

Anything after and beginning with Gerald's Game, with one or two exceptions, isn't worth the time it takes to read the dust cover.

Forum List

Back