Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
20210512_085313.jpg

My arms feel like jello lol

• Banned
  • Banned
I'm getting ready to swing my demolition hammer on a bathroom in one of my rentals. It's going to be a nasty job.

View attachment 488760

I see stuff from a bathroom, where's the stuff from the bedroom?

No bedroom stuff. A couple columns but it's all from the master bath suite

Looks like a hell of a large shower. There's a lot of water proofing material. And apologies, I misread the title as "bedroom".

View attachment 488781View attachment 488782

Damn, what did they not like about that? They must have more money than brains. But I guess that's good for you.

View attachment 488760

From the photo of debris in the bags it looks like the last slimy contractor didn't install a RedGuard moisture barrier & stuck tiles to plywood instead of cement backer board. They slapped lipstick on a pig so another contractor can squeeze more money out of them 5 years down the road.

Last edited:
View attachment 488760

From the photo of debris in the bags it looks like the last slimy contractor didn't install a moisture barrier & stuck tiles to plywood instead of cement backer board. They slapped lipstick on a pig so another contractor can squeeze more money out of them 5 years down the road.
Ditra is 100% waterproof. And what you see isn't plywood its concrete.
If it was tile on plywood I could have knocked it all out with a painters 5way rather than a mini jackhammer

View attachment 488760

I see stuff from a bathroom, where's the stuff from the bedroom?

No bedroom stuff. A couple columns but it's all from the master bath suite

Looks like a hell of a large shower. There's a lot of water proofing material. And apologies, I misread the title as "bedroom".

View attachment 488781View attachment 488782

Damn, what did they not like about that? They must have more money than brains. But I guess that's good for you.

They want white marble and black floors. 12x12 tile is dated. In the last 5 or 6 years I've only done one job with a 12x12. Mostly it's all 24 to 48 inch products now. 30 seems to be the sweet spot.

I'm getting ready to swing my demolition hammer on a bathroom in one of my rentals. It's going to be a nasty job.
Goto harbor freight and by an electric demo hammer. Work smart not hard
Get an air hammer. Electric hammers suck. They will just fuck up your kidneys, spleen and pancreas.

Use a spade bit to remove tile.

Wear a mask. :wink:

Last edited:
Get an air hammer. Electric hammers suck. They will just fuck up your kidneys, spleen and pancreas.

I ditched all my air equipment years ago. The only thing I have left is my framing nailer for big jobs. I have 2 electric demo hammers and they work great. The new one has shock absorbers in it. But yes a 3inch wide blade is a must if you're not tearing out mudwork or concrete

I ditched all my air equipment years ago. The only thing I have left is my framing nailer for big jobs. I have 2 electric demo hammers and they work great. The new one has shock absorbers in it. But yes a 3inch wide blade is a must if you're not tearing out mudwork or concrete
The problem I've had with the electric demo hammers is that when you get to about 60 pounds, the motor is so large that it is super convenient to just lean into it with your body, and that vibrates you internal organs. Then you are pissing blood the next day.

For me, a cement mason, it's better to just get a 90 pound air hammer because they have more power and a lower center of gravity than a 60 pound electric hammer. So they are easier to use. The only downside is that you have to tow along an air compressor and hoses.

I don't want to bring down the whole house, cause it ain't insured. It's an old brick home with Plaster on Wood Lath. I learned to keep the Wood Lath on the walls & re-plaster it when I can because it's difficult for Tenants to destroy & it don't get moldy.

I wish we could get PURPLE Hi-Impact XP wall board here in Missouri. I got some cheap at Lowes in Florida & used it everywhere. That is Tuff Ass Drywall that won't mold even in Florida where mold grows everywhere even inside vehicles.

Forum List

Back