Well now! Surprise surprise...

There are laws of economics, and the fact that we have a mixed economy doesn't change those laws it simply attempts to break them.

What are the "laws"?? Are you sure you don't mean "rules"??

By laws I mean facts that do not change. One law of economics is that governments do not create wealth. It's impossible to take capital from the productive sector of society, put it where you think it should go instead, and generate any kind of real wealth. Only the market can accurately decide where resources should go in any kind of rational manner. If the government decides that there needs to be a business that the market is not providing for on its own, and then uses taxpayer money to create that business then they're not creating wealth. That business would not survive on its own in the private market because there's not enough demand for it. The economy would be better off if that business was not wasting resources for a product or service that people do not want, and if the government was not taxing them to force this business upon them.

Not if that capital is reinvested in the private sector in order to produce even more wealth. It actually works the same way stock you might own in your company that gets reinvested by management elsewhere in order to enhance the business AND your own stock value.

[Corrected from "public"]

Last edited:

If you are going to make shit up, go big!!

Obama can claim the stimulus created or saved EVERY job in the United States it is exactly the same as saying he saved or created 2 million jobs. . It is a bullshit metric that cannot be measured. I invented a whole world in my sleep last night, that doesn't mean that it is real. There is no such thing as a saved job.

But maybe in Obama world, it is the thought that counts, right? He wanted to create jobs!!! His intentions were good!!!

If two banks merge, inevitably there are layoffs as the two attempt to combine personnel resources. Joe's job at one desk might get the ax, while Mary's job right across the aisle from Joe might be "saved." That happens all the time in the private sector.

In the public sector, a "saved" job is also one that doesn't get the ax because of budget constraints. If the total unemployment number was theoretically exactly 1,000,000, a "saved job" would make the number 999,999. It's a no-brainer.

Sorry MM, there is no way to measure how many jobs were "saved" by the stimulus. It's spin, pure and simple.

Jeez, do you just wake up and gulp Obama Kool-aid all freakin' day?? :razz:

If you are going to make shit up, go big!!

Obama can claim the stimulus created or saved EVERY job in the United States it is exactly the same as saying he saved or created 2 million jobs. . It is a bullshit metric that cannot be measured. I invented a whole world in my sleep last night, that doesn't mean that it is real. There is no such thing as a saved job.

But maybe in Obama world, it is the thought that counts, right? He wanted to create jobs!!! His intentions were good!!!

If two banks merge, inevitably there are layoffs as the two attempt to combine personnel resources. Joe's job at one desk might get the ax, while Mary's job right across the aisle from Joe might be "saved." That happens all the time in the private sector.

In the public sector, a "saved" job is also one that doesn't get the ax because of budget constraints. If the total unemployment number was theoretically exactly 1,000,000, a "saved job" would make the number 999,999. It's a no-brainer.

Sorry MM, there is no way to measure how many jobs were "saved" by the stimulus. It's spin, pure and simple.

Jeez, do you just wake up and gulp Obama Kool-aid all freakin' day?? :razz:

Whatever. Now you're just boring me with your suppositions which you cannot prove.

By laws I mean facts that do not change. One law of economics is that governments do not create wealth. It's impossible to take capital from the productive sector of society, put it where you think it should go instead, and generate any kind of real wealth. Only the market can accurately decide where resources should go in any kind of rational manner. If the government decides that there needs to be a business that the market is not providing for on its own, and then uses taxpayer money to create that business then they're not creating wealth. That business would not survive on its own in the private market because there's not enough demand for it. The economy would be better off if that business was not wasting resources for a product or service that people do not want, and if the government was not taxing them to force this business upon them.

Not if that capital is reinvested in the private sector in order to produce even more wealth. It actually works the same way stock you might own in your company that gets reinvested by management elsewhere in order to enhance the business AND your own stock value.

[Corrected from "public"]

No, because the government is putting that capital where it doesn't belong.

Problem is that higher postal rates paid by corporations means higher costs for you and I so in the long run you and I are paying the higher rates.

I say just make junk mail illegal!!

Too bad doing so would actually be a violation of the rights of the corporation.

Immie

name one country that has lower postal rates than us....
and "Direct Mail Advertising" is a more effective way to advertise than the other mediums.....certainly more effective than TV, Radio and Newspaper.....right now might be the most effective way....

Not so sure about that. I throw junk mail away as soon as I read far enough to see what it is. TV commercials get muted, but at least somewhat watched. Radio is background
noise. Don't get a newspaper.

My point was, an increased stamp rate means I pay for junk mail already. Less junk mail could result in less daily delivery needs, wear and tear on equipment and our friend Harry.
i guy on my route gets a paper that deals in advertising,its what he is into.....it has a postal section in there....so i sneek a look at it when i see it....and it says that advertising through the mail is right now pretty lucrative,to the advertiser, compared to the other mediums....the DVR has put a big damper on TV ads.....the radio gets changed during commercials....and well newspapers,they are dying......but everyone has to look through their mail.....and believe it or not....MANY things catch peoples eyes and they will investigate...leading, according to this paper,SALES of the product advertised....the Tuesday food ads generate sales in the markets....if i dont have one for some of these people....they want to know why....

I'd really like to know what alternate universe Kevin, Foxfyre, and Ollie live in. This would not be the most envied country on earth if it weren't for the HUGE national programs that sparked private industries into becoming equally as HUGE profit makers. Apparently they feel that Fast Eddie, Joe Blow, and Mary Wary could have pooled their intelligence, and with no startup money, created an investment pool in the billions and built the interstate highway system. Or created the science and technology from somewhere else other than space endeavors which provided hundreds of clues, and the tools, now required in advanced medicine and other technologies commonly in use by the public at large.

I'm sorry, but I believe the last post I made in this thread was along the lines that the Government cannot create permanent jobs in the civilian or private sector by spending money which they don't have. Or something like that. I would love to see how that is in an alternate universe. Because that seems to be what this administration is attempting to do. Show me how that works.......In this universe.

and "Direct Mail Advertising" is a more effective way to advertise than the other mediums.....certainly more effective than TV, Radio and Newspaper.....right now might be the most effective way....

Not so sure about that. I throw junk mail away as soon as I read far enough to see what it is. TV commercials get muted, but at least somewhat watched. Radio is background

My point was, an increased stamp rate means I pay for junk mail already. Less junk mail could result in less daily delivery needs, wear and tear on equipment and our friend Harry.
i guy on my route gets a paper that deals in advertising,its what he is into.....it has a postal section in there....so i sneek a look at it when i see it....and it says that advertising through the mail is right now pretty lucrative,to the advertiser, compared to the other mediums....the DVR has put a big damper on TV ads.....the radio gets changed during commercials....and well newspapers,they are dying......but everyone has to look through their mail.....and believe it or not....MANY things catch peoples eyes and they will investigate...leading, according to this paper,SALES of the product advertised....the Tuesday food ads generate sales in the markets....if i dont have one for some of these people....they want to know why....

I get a ton of catalogs, browse through them, and if I find something I like go online and wait for FREE SHIPPING on the item. It's the only way to go.

I usually give my mail carrier at least a $10 tip at Christmas. She's a woman who goes out of her way to make sure packages get placed INSIDE our secure building and not left outside by the mailboxes. That's very important because packages left out in the open are an invitation for theft. This year I'm going to up it to $20 because she's a single mom with 3 kids and needs it more than I do this time of year. I have the utmost respect for mail carriers. I've always found them to be dedicated and friendly.

I'd really like to know what alternate universe Kevin, Foxfyre, and Ollie live in. This would not be the most envied country on earth if it weren't for the HUGE national programs that sparked private industries into becoming equally as HUGE profit makers. Apparently they feel that Fast Eddie, Joe Blow, and Mary Wary could have pooled their intelligence, and with no startup money, created an investment pool in the billions and built the interstate highway system. Or created the science and technology from somewhere else other than space endeavors which provided hundreds of clues, and the tools, now required in advanced medicine and other technologies commonly in use by the public at large.

I'm sorry, but I believe the last post I made in this thread was along the lines that the Government cannot create permanent jobs in the civilian or private sector by spending money which they don't have. Or something like that. I would love to see how that is in an alternate universe. Because that seems to be what this administration is attempting to do. Show me how that works.......In this universe.

...which they don't have definitely changes the equation, so I shouldn't have included you in my rant. I apologize. But these are not normal times, and it requires risk-taking. I still believe, strongly, that to have done nothing would have been disastrous--not simply unpleasant.

I wouldn't object to a higher rate for business mail. Seems like the bulk of my mail is unsolicited business mailings. Since the government is charging more because of costs, why do I have to pay more for junk mail?

Problem is that higher postal rates paid by corporations means higher costs for you and I so in the long run you and I are paying the higher rates.

Too bad doing so would actually be a violation of the rights of the corporation.

Immie

just passing thru... but direct mail's been garbage for my biz, and expensive. might depend on what youre trying to hock. cheaper for a local biz to hire a door-to-door flyer poster.

SFC Ollie is correct. The government cannot reate jobs other than more government jobs...

If you listened to the Conman speak about his "jobs surge" strategy...it was the same old shit he said during his Presidential campaign....more money to loan for small businesses and more infrastructure work.

Now let's look at reality. Here's what the Conman doesn't understand....
1. You can give a shitload of money to the banks to lend out...BUT IF THE SMALL BUSINESSES HAVE MESSED UP CREDIT AND DON'T MEET LENDING CRITERIA THEY WON'T GET SHIT BARRY!!!!!!

2. We heard all this crap about "infrastructure spending" almost a year ago...you've given Stimulus money to the States to spend on "shovel ready" projects...but all they have done is prop up their own budgets so they didn't have to lay millions of government workers!!!!

Jobs surge...this President is a fricken joke!!!!! He thinks we are all still in highschool.

I get a ton of catalogs, browse through them, and if I find something I like go online and wait for FREE SHIPPING on the item. It's the only way to go.

I usually give my mail carrier at least a $10 tip at Christmas. She's a woman who goes out of her way to make sure packages get placed INSIDE our secure building and not left outside by the mailboxes. That's very important because packages left out in the open are an invitation for theft. This year I'm going to up it to $20 because she's a single mom with 3 kids and needs it more than I do this time of year. I have the utmost respect for mail carriers. I've always found them to be dedicated and friendly.
and i will tell ya this Maggs.....when tipped the carrier will go out of their way for those people....i saved one guy one year a 2500.00 fine from the IRS,he owned a lucrative mail order business,it had to do with the date on his return,there was a mistake of some kind with the date....i told him who to go see,he did, got it stamped properly,and he said i saved him 25 hundred bucks.....and i told him who to see to ship cheaper....he did said i saved him more money....never got a tip from this fucker....but yet a Mobile Home Park i delivered with old retired folks living day to day on their monthly cks...,they would give me at least 500 bucks every Christmas,20 here,10 there...just because i would stop and talk to them....i would try and give the money back saying you need this and they would not hear of it.....they would bake cookies and all kinds of things just for me.....i was moved by these people...picked up stamps for them,mailed packages....went out of my way for these people......

There are laws of economics, and the fact that we have a mixed economy doesn't change those laws it simply attempts to break them.

:eusa_hand: HACK ALERT!

dont come spitting your tijuana community college district hack-mode econ as fact. first off by 'laws' in this context they arent facts that cant change, but bases for theory/arguement - propositions. you may be the only person to have heard of your hokus pokus government wealth 'creation' 'law'.

ya dont have to be mr economist to say ya dont like the government to spend a dime, or whatever you feel is clever, but you should have to wear a clown suit for hacking it up like that.

Immie

just passing thru... but direct mail's been garbage for my biz, and expensive. might depend on what youre trying to hock. cheaper for a local biz to hire a door-to-door flyer poster.

yea and they end up on the guys front lawn, in his driveway or just ditched some where.....basically that kind of stuff is considered someone littering the yard...i love it when they put them in mailboxes.....i pick them up and they get mailed back to the business with a warning from the Inspectors...

yea and they end up on the guys front lawn, in his driveway or just ditched some where.....basically that kind of stuff is considered someone littering the yard...i love it when they put them in mailboxes.....i pick them up and they get mailed back to the business with a warning from the Inspectors...

yeah. messy and unreliable trusting some kid to do it for you, especially. yellow pages and weekly papers have worked good for me in two cities for b to c advertisment. the customer seeks you out.

between publications, flyers can really flex inbound business. and fast. the opportunity to sell has displaced the time its taken me marching around with them in the past. the good ol days.

when i was in highscool i put some flyers in boxes for my first baby-biz. they called me right up! ...the good OLD days.

:eusa_hand: HACK ALERT!

dont come spitting your tijuana community college district hack-mode econ as fact. first off by 'laws' in this context they arent facts that cant change, but bases for theory/arguement - propositions. you may be the only person to have heard of your hokus pokus government wealth 'creation' 'law'.

ya dont have to be mr economist to say ya dont like the government to spend a dime, or whatever you feel is clever, but you should have to wear a clown suit for hacking it up like that.

Well I'm not the only one to realize that governments can't create wealth, and the only "hokus pokus" is thinking that they can. As it would literally take an act of magic to break the laws of economics. The rest of your post isn't worth addressing, as I'm not sure what it is you think you're going to prove by insulting me.

the laws are presumptions for arguements and can be defied with no magic, no problem. the point is that theyre stated to level the basis for theories. the laws are all propositions of rational behavior, or genralized consequences.

youve got a theory that government cant create wealth. its not any sort of natural law of economics like the law of demand. once youve qualified it with a few details you could argue your theory, but against the likes of john maynard keynes who would have stressed the need for public spending, in fact deficit spending during contractions to stimulate the economy.

id caution against full-tilt keynesian econ, but absolute/extreme takes like yours on the role of government in an economy fail to glean any of its benefits. begs questions of track-record and merit, even complete consideration.

alas, maybe insult isnt the the best way to go, but i aimed to prove that if your outfit reflected your malpractice, that you could well have big red shoes and a horn in your nose.

the laws are presumptions for arguements and can be defied with no magic, no problem. the point is that theyre stated to level the basis for theories. the laws are all propositions of rational behavior, or genralized consequences.

youve got a theory that government cant create wealth. its not any sort of natural law of economics like the law of demand. once youve qualified it with a few details you could argue your theory, but against the likes of john maynard keynes who would have stressed the need for public spending, in fact deficit spending during contractions to stimulate the economy.

id caution against full-tilt keynesian econ, but absolute/extreme takes like yours on the role of government in an economy fail to glean any of its benefits. begs questions of track-record and merit, even complete consideration.

alas, maybe insult isnt the the best way to go, but i aimed to prove that if your outfit reflected your malpractice, that you could well have big red shoes and a horn in your nose.

That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen; by Frederic Bastiat

Economics in One Lesson

Governments cannot create wealth, one of the many things Keynes got wrong.

and i will tell ya this Maggs.....when tipped the carrier will go out of their way for those people....i saved one guy one year a 2500.00 fine from the IRS,he owned a lucrative mail order business,it had to do with the date on his return,there was a mistake of some kind with the date....i told him who to go see,he did, got it stamped properly,and he said i saved him 25 hundred bucks.....and i told him who to see to ship cheaper....he did said i saved him more money....never got a tip from this fucker....but yet a Mobile Home Park i delivered with old retired folks living day to day on their monthly cks...,they would give me at least 500 bucks every Christmas,20 here,10 there...just because i would stop and talk to them....i would try and give the money back saying you need this and they would not hear of it.....they would bake cookies and all kinds of things just for me.....i was moved by these people...picked up stamps for them,mailed packages....went out of my way for these people......

Your one of the good ones Harry. Hope you have a great tip season.

The government can't create jobs.

Really? Tell it to the astronauts, who wouldn't have their jobs were it not for the multi-billion dollar government program to get to the moon in 10 years. Tell it to the tens of thousands of people who work in private sector jobs related to space science. Tell it to the tens of thousands of people who work for businesses and contractors maintaining the interstate highway system.

All at the expense of other jobs that would have been created by the private sector, which by the way is where real wealth is created. Public jobs are a drain on the economy, rather than a benefit.

Um HMM YEAH I guess all the "SERVICE SECTOR" jobs which are the only jobs we have ADDED since Reagan don't count? So let me spell it our.....Money spent on public works projects SUPPORT other jobs. The money isn't dolled out and then VAPORIZED it is SPENT at other places.....Like RETAIL, Restaurant, and countless other PRIVATE sector jobs. Maybe it means that the diner down the road from a Federal Interstate construction site increases their business to PRE-CRASH #s which means that the waitress who was holding down an EMPTY restaurant now has PATRONS to serve.....She takes her TIPS and buys her kids new clothes or a new TV.......Guess what RETAIL....(and I would say manufacturing jobs but we have none left in America)....jobs are increased. Then those retail workers may go out to dinner a bit more often.........

THIS IS THE FACT THAT YOU ALL WANT TO IGNORE!!!!

Really? Tell it to the astronauts, who wouldn't have their jobs were it not for the multi-billion dollar government program to get to the moon in 10 years. Tell it to the tens of thousands of people who work in private sector jobs related to space science. Tell it to the tens of thousands of people who work for businesses and contractors maintaining the interstate highway system.

All at the expense of other jobs that would have been created by the private sector, which by the way is where real wealth is created. Public jobs are a drain on the economy, rather than a benefit.

Um HMM YEAH I guess all the "SERVICE SECTOR" jobs which are the only jobs we have ADDED since Reagan don't count? So let me spell it our.....Money spent on public works projects SUPPORT other jobs. The money isn't dolled out and then VAPORIZED it is SPENT at other places.....Like RETAIL, Restaurant, and countless other PRIVATE sector jobs. Maybe it means that the diner down the road from a Federal Interstate construction site increases their business to PRE-CRASH #s which means that the waitress who was holding down an EMPTY restaurant now has PATRONS to serve.....She takes her TIPS and buys her kids new clothes or a new TV.......Guess what RETAIL....(and I would say manufacturing jobs but we have none left in America)....jobs are increased. Then those retail workers may go out to dinner a bit more often.........

THIS IS THE FACT THAT YOU ALL WANT TO IGNORE!!!!

Here's a fact that you want to ignore:

Only the market can rationally allocate resources, not the government.

Forum List

Back