Welfare

Actually there are people on welfare who are employed, the jobs just don't pay alot.

double pos

True welfare, as in tanf, means you are well below the federal poverty level (for one person the fpl is $931...which is still about $500 more than what you can have if you want to qualify for tanf).

FOODSTAMPS, however, are available to people who are at 185 percent of the FPL...so you can be working full time at a little less than 2x the federal minimum wage, and still be eligible for foodstamps.

And you can be working full time at well over 2x the federal minimum wage and qualify for foodstamps if you are a multiple-person household.

They say that most welfare recipients are children, and that's true enough...I would wager that the majority of HOUSEHOLDS that receive foodstamps are working households.

But not tanf.

If you're on welfare why cant you

Have a job?

How are you supposed to get out of the situation when you cant do anything productive?

Many on public assistance do have a job.

With regard to the SNAP program, for example:

Many SNAP participants had jobs. Nearly 30 percent of SNAP households had earnings in 2010, and 41 percent of all SNAP participants lived in a household with earnings. For most of these households, earnings were the primary source of income.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/MENU/Published/snap/FILES/Participation/2010CharacteristicsSummary.pdf

Others suffer barriers to employment, such as lack of transportation, daycare, and adequate housing. They’re willing and able to work, and want to be productive.

Do you know what I did when I couldn't get to work because my car had broken down, or I had no money for gas?

I rode a FUCKING BIKE. Yup. I invested in a bicycle for that express purpose. So I would never have to use the excuse "I can't keep a job because I'm too much of a loser to get my ass to work."

you can have a job, you just can not get paid.

There is no job that does not pay enough for food and rent and facilities.

If one wants more, one must get a better job.

If one must want a better job, one must be more qualified to get one.

In order to get a better paying job, one may have to travel to where those better paying jobs are.

I know, because I've been there and done that, when I was young, but unlike the free-loaders of today, I had pride and self-respect.

Last edited:
untill it runs out. then what do you do?

Then I'd have to find a different job, which is hard enough work in itself. So I guess I'll go on unemployment. If the Government is going to offer me a sweet gig and pay me not to work, why not?

Oh you have a job, I see what your saying. well of course you can go on unemployment, you didnt pay for it your past employer did of course, But you REALLY DiD because with out unemployment insurance your past employer could of paid you an extra dollar an hour or so what ever it was if they didnt haved to pay into unemployment. But be careful, the longer you dont have a job and dont work, its like a red flag on your resume.

Oh you have a job, I see what your saying. well of course you can go on unemployment, you didnt pay for it your past employer did of course, But you REALLY DiD because with out unemployment insurance your past employer could of paid you an extra dollar an hour or so what ever it was if they didnt haved to pay into unemployment. But be careful, the longer you dont have a job and dont work, its like a red flag on your resume.

That's not going to be an issue. The American Job's Act of 2010 gives employers an incentive to hire employees who have been laid off for 6 months or more in the form of a tax credit.

Do you know what I did when I couldn't get to work because my car had broken down, or I had no money for gas?

I rode a FUCKING BIKE. Yup. I invested in a bicycle for that express purpose. So I would never have to use the excuse "I can't keep a job because I'm too much of a loser to get my ass to work."

If you had a car when you were unemployed, you were lucky. When I was unemployed, (a grand total of six weeks in the early 1960's) I had no car, hell, and I had no bicycle. But my thumb got me where the jobs were. You know, hitch hiking.

I was not reluctant to leave my parents' basement, mainly because my parents had no basement, and I left home on my own at age seventeen. Even at that age and in spite of all the temptations, I managed to remain childless, unlike the irresponsible clods, for whom when the cock gets hard, the brain goes soft.

The only excuse for being unemployed is laziness and bloated and undeserved self-evaluation.

Lol been there done that.

True Story [and short] used to travel all the time. Had to go 6 hours to fix a machine, Went to ohare it was closed due to a snowstorm. Drove my car through hell to get to kentucky., when I arrived only like 3 people were there, I am like "where is everyone?" well they couldnt get here because it was snowing. lol.

"Are you willing to pay for them to move to China where our jobs are?"

"India too, and Mexico."

If not for the greedy unions, those jobs would still be in America.

"Are you willing to pay for them to move to China where our jobs are?"

"India too, and Mexico."

If not for the greedy unions, those jobs would still be in America.

Yup.

And there are still jobs here, if you can bring yourself to move to N. Dakota, or Wyoming, or Alaska.
People who are self sufficient are self sufficient. They find work.

People who don't are typically losers who are limiting themselves.

That isn't to say a person can't be out of work for a chunk of time...but the difference between losers and workers is that a person who is out of work for a chunk of time doesn't give up, and ups the ante after a certain period of time. If you don't get a job within x number of months, then you look at a different field, a different locale, a different type of job.

That's not going to be an issue. The American Job's Act of 2010 gives employers an incentive to hire employees who have been laid off for 6 months or more in the form of a tax credit.

it is a issue, because I throw resumes in the garbage can that didnt work for over a year. because I know the jobs were out there in the past 10 years and I am not the only one. because I took the low paying jobs...... like septic tank digger, residental electrician, carpenter helper, plumber, taxi cab driver, the job sucked but kept working. And now back to just to being a industrial maintenace guy/ maintenace manager of a small plastic company.

it is a issue, because I throw resumes in the garbage can that didnt work for over a year. because I know the jobs were out there in the past 10 years and I am not the only one. because I took the low paying jobs...... like septic tank digger, residental electrician, carpenter helper, plumber, taxi cab driver, the job sucked but kept working. And now back to just to being a industrial maintenace guy/ maintenace manager of a small plastic company.

You're speaking from your personal preference as an employer, I presume. Many other employers don't share your mindset. I guess they're just slightly more money hungry than you are.

There are plenty of people who have been unemployed for longer than 6 months and up to a year. Of course, why hire people who are fresh on the unemployment line when the Government is going to pay you not to?

There aren't enough jobs around for people who want to work much less those who don't.

Obviously, you have not bothered to read the "Want Ads" section in your local newspaper.

guess your old or had a job for 20 years and have not read the "want adds" in the local paper?.. Hell HAVE you read the newspaper and compared it to ten years ago? its the internet now.

You're speaking from your personal preference as an employer, I presume. Many other employers don't share your mindset. I guess they're just slightly more money hungry than you are.

There are plenty of people who have been unemployed for longer than 6 months and up to a year. Of course, why hire people who are fresh on the unemployment line when the Government is going to pay you not to?

I'm also a person who hires...and likewise, if you haven't worked (unless there's a really good reason) I typically will pass over you.

People who haven't worked, usually don't want to.

Now if you've been married and raising kids, or you had to quit 5 years ago because you had cancer and you just got a clean bill of health, those things I will consider.

But just a loser who hasn't worked for no reason for a year, and has no solid work history?

Forget it.

Forum List

Back