Welfare Abusers in 12 States Just Got Some Brutal Bad News

An inane, money-eating sham: Drug tests for welfare a huge failure
Drug tests for welfare is a huge waste. But if we’re testing those getting taxpayer money, how about politicians?

During the past year, the state of Utah has spent over $30,000 giving drug tests to welfare recipients. In that time period, only 2.6 percent of those tested were found to have used illegal substances — well below the national use rate of 8.9 percent. As in all eight states where drug tests are used to determine eligibility for government assistance, specifically Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Utah’s program was allegedly initiated on the grounds of saving the state money.

In 2009, Arizona was the first state to adopt a program that drug-tested recipients of welfare whom officials had “reasonable cause” to believe were using drugs. Besides stigmatizing recipients of government assistance, implying that they’re a group of no-good drug fiends, the bill was implemented to try rand resuscitate a failing budget, and Arizona officials believed that testing could save the state $1.7 million a year.

But in 2012, three years and 87,000 screenings later, only one person had failed a drug test. Total savings from denying that one person benefits? $560. Total benefits paid out in that time? $200 million. Even if we include the savings from cutting benefits to the 1,633 people who didn’t return the pre-test survey, it brings the total to only 0.1 percent of the amount distributed over that period.

An inane money-eating sham Drug tests for welfare a huge failure - Salon.com

I am down so long as it includes everyone that bellies up to the government trough.

Those drug tests make conservatives feel good but they yield painfully few violators

A waste of taxpayer dollars

Lets put it to the test and find out

-Geaux

It already has been put to the test. Multiple states in recent years have implemented this, and the results have been bad. Alot of extra costs in paying for the testing, and IIRC something like less than 0.001% of applicants tested positive for drugs, with some of those being possibly due to prescriptions not being properly reported at the testing facility. I could be wrong about the exact number because I'm going off of memory here, but whatever the figure I know it was painfully low. Overall, it's costing more money to do the testing than is being saved by removing one or two people from the program.

I find it comical that Trey Radel voted for drug testing welfare recipients and than gets busted for blow. What a hypocrite.

Those drug tests make conservatives feel good but they yield painfully few violators

-Geaux

It already has been put to the test. Multiple states in recent years have implemented this, and the results have been bad. Alot of extra costs in paying for the testing, and IIRC something like less than 0.001% of applicants tested positive for drugs, with some of those being possibly due to prescriptions not being properly reported at the testing facility. I could be wrong about the exact number because I'm going off of memory here, but whatever the figure I know it was painfully low. Overall, it's costing more money to do the testing than is being saved by removing one or two people from the program.

The cost is 'in the noise' when compared to the overall cost of the program

-Geaux

I find it comical that Trey Radel voted for drug testing welfare recipients and than gets busted for blow. What a hypocrite.
and did not go to prison like he would have gone if he was Black and he intended to remain a Congress person....

Because he knew it would only be applied to "those people."
The whole thing is intended to demean welfare recipient with the stereotype all welfare recipient are lazy drug using slackers...it is also a way for the GOP Governors to make money from drug testing...these laws are meant for the Ni**ers

Last edited:
and did not go to prison like he would have gone if he was Black and he intended to remain a Congress person....

I don't believe his race had anything to do with it. I think his powerful position/connections allowed him to avoid any serious trouble with the law. If it had been a plebeian on the other hand...

-Geaux

The cost is 'in the noise' when compared to the overall cost of the program

-Geaux

So...you mean to tell me that you support this as a way to save taxpayer money.....and then support it costing more money!?!

Why are you on board with this? It has caused spending to go up, it is funneling tax money to cronies, and that's the extent of it. The whole thing is a damn joke. Especially when you take into account the fact that majority of the money spent on welfare comes from the federal government. So this "one third of states' budgets" line is nothing but fluff.

Drug tests for welfare is a huge waste. But if we’re testing those getting taxpayer money, how about politicians?

During the past year, the state of Utah has spent over $30,000 giving drug tests to welfare recipients. In that time period, only 2.6 percent of those tested were found to have used illegal substances — well below the national use rate of 8.9 percent. As in all eight states where drug tests are used to determine eligibility for government assistance, specifically Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Utah’s program was allegedly initiated on the grounds of saving the state money.

In 2009, Arizona was the first state to adopt a program that drug-tested recipients of welfare whom officials had “reasonable cause” to believe were using drugs. Besides stigmatizing recipients of government assistance, implying that they’re a group of no-good drug fiends, the bill was implemented to try rand resuscitate a failing budget, and Arizona officials believed that testing could save the state $1.7 million a year.

But in 2012, three years and 87,000 screenings later, only one person had failed a drug test. Total savings from denying that one person benefits? $560. Total benefits paid out in that time? $200 million. Even if we include the savings from cutting benefits to the 1,633 people who didn’t return the pre-test survey, it brings the total to only 0.1 percent of the amount distributed over that period.

Everybody knows how to beat a piss test.

They are useless unless the are conducted randomly, with no warning, and no access to methods to beat them.

Feel free to show any data that shows these drug tests are making a difference

care to provide proof of this lie ?

Arizona, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Utah — are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to ferret out very few drug users. The statistics show that applicants actually test positive at a lower rate than the drug use of the general population.

have you always been a libertard ?

In Utah, 12 tested positive, but 250 withdrew their applications when they found out they would be tested. In Michigan, in 5 weeks, before the law was halted, just under 10% tested positive, 3% of those for hard drugs.. How many didn't apply, due to knowing the law? In Florida, approximately 3% tested positive in 4 months. How many didn't apply, due to the well publicized fact testing was being done? These are just a few examples for you.
You do realize that only progressives will take anything thinkprogress puts out seriously right, or should that be left wingers posing as rightwingers?

-Geaux

What 7 States Discovered After Spending More Than 1 Million Drug Testing Welfare Recipients ThinkProgress

According to state data gathered by ThinkProgress, the seven states with existing programs — Arizona, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Utah — are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to ferret out very few drug users. The statistics show that applicants actually test positive at a lower rate than the drug use of the general population. The national drug use rate is 9.4 percent. In these states, however, the rate of positive drug tests to total welfare applicants ranges from 0.002 percent to 8.3 percent, but all except one have a rate below 1 percent. Meanwhile, they’ve collectively spent nearly $1 million on the effort, and millions more may have to be spent in coming years.

Feel free to show any data that shows these drug tests are making a difference

Everybody knows how to beat a piss test.

They are useless unless the are conducted randomly, with no warning, and no access to methods to beat them.
Sure son...how about a link???
Ohhh...there's nothing on the internet to legitimately support your delusions....

One thing some states are looking to do, is test those that have previously been convicted of drug charges, that are applying.

Forum List

Back