Weather channel hyping Irene?

It is a newsworthy event and providing information about it is a public service. A rare thing for for profit media to do now-a-days.

heck the hurricane even got billing on the local news tonight beofre they talked abut the guy suing his doctor for cutting off his penis.

True story on both counts.

Not sure but the Doctors name might be House?

heck the hurricane even got billing on the local news tonight beofre they talked abut the guy suing his doctor for cutting off his penis.

Sounds like a Kentucky doctor... That makes more sense...

I'm pretty sure Doctor House is just a TV character....

he is a Rand Paul supporter.

he is a Rand Paul supporter.

Could be... Don't know, but if you're interested I'm sure you could find out...

MSNBC might be hyping it, but nobody really knows...

If Keef Olbergoof is hyping it, even less people will know. :lol:

It's Current... 5 people are watching and only because they left the TV on when they left the room...

Interesting fun fact.

My cable company just added Current, and I watched the Movie "Flight 93". Not once did they run a commercial for Keef's show.

I guess even Current TV doesn't realize that he has a show there. :lol:

If Keef Olbergoof is hyping it, even less people will know. :lol:

It's Current... 5 people are watching and only because they left the TV on when they left the room...

Interesting fun fact.

My cable company just added Current, and I watched the Movie "Flight 93". Not once did they run a commercial for Keef's show.

I guess even Current TV doesn't realize that he has a show there. :lol:

I'll bet their attitude is "Why bother - nobody will watch anyway"...

Bottom line...Irene is a money maker as long as the media can keep it in the public eye. If the weather channel can accent the negative and downplay the positive and pretend that a hurricane is an alien monster that people have never seen they can sell advertising revinue.

If a hurricane hugs off the E coast, then even when the cane has lost its power, it often causes flooding as far north as Canada.

And FWIW, flooding from hurricanic rain tends to kill more people and cause greater property damaage than the wind ever does.

If you've ever seen what happens when a deluge rain comes down a mountain valley you'd understand why hurricanic rains can be devastating.

55flood161.gif

The above is one example.

This was flooding happening in PA in '55 after Hurricane Diane dumped 14 inches of rain onto the mountains.

55flood13.gif

Last edited:
The weatherperson hypes the weather all the time on your local channels. If you notice they continually have the temp higher or lower than the Nation Weather service site and anytime there is something happening they hype it up, tornadoes, hurricanes, rain or snows. I use this site for weather and it is a lot more accurate than the TV. Set your location and you can get all the meteorological info you want for your area or anywhere else.

NOAA's National Weather Service

Living in a summer tourist area, it seems our local weather people downplay bad weather. They don't want to scare away the visitors. And in all fairness, shore weather is harder to predict. Best bet is go outside. :lol:

In all seriousness, we watched Katrina unfold on T.V. and could not believe that people were choosing to stay. Anyone who said they didn't know what was coming was smoking too much dope.

We don't have an evacuation plan. My husband and I have been arguing about it for two days. He said he's not going anywhere. :evil:

Advice on preparedness is not "hype".

I guess the weather people live for sensational weather but claiming that "Irene will impact 82 million people" is a dishonest way to promote the storm. They ignore the east coast earthquake which impacted more than 82 million people and resulted in traffic jams and inconvenience. How will Irene impact 62 million people? With much needed rain? You can see the desperation on the faces of the weather channel people when they hope for a big story while it seems that Irene might move offshore.
The Weather Channel ALWAYS hypes hurricanes.

Earthquakes aren't weather.

Forum List

Back