Wealth Tax: Yeah! Why do Warren Buffett and Bill gates need so much money in their Trust?

A wealth tax would raise 4.35 TRILLION over a ten year period and the uber-wealthy wouldn't even notice it.
Great idea - DO IT!
That's about half of what we spent on stimulus in the past 2 years, and even that is never going to pass. A 10% surtax?

We'd better figure out something to address wealth inequality and pay down the national debt or we'll all be F'd. Cleaning up and simplifying a tax code that enables a company like Amazon to pay nothing or a cheat like Rump to pay $750 two years in a row is also essential.
Well, imo wealth disparity is just because the % of income growth in the top 1% and more so the top .1% grew much faster than workers' incomes, and their taxes did not rise in % to their income growth. The supply siders and tools of Norquist who dream they too could invent the computer will say "but the top 10% pay by far most of the total taxes." While that's true, it's actually evidence of the unequal share of who earned the increases in gnp. It's totally opposite to what occurred from 1950-1980 when the middle class emerged. Partially, post-1980 was the decline in unions and globalization.

But we taxed the shit out of the rich before Reagan. I'd say our problem was not how much we taxed them, but the ways we let them avoid any tax by not earning profit on their "nut." But we had the Reagan boom because so much money sought productive investments after we cut the top income tax rate to 33% or whatever. Now we have the opposite problem. Not enough places to invest. So we have housing and equity bubbles faster than we did before.

Most of the top 1% money doesn't come from income it comes from investments.
Lizzy Cheekbones teamed up with Bernie "Please may I have another screwing over at the voting Booth" Sanders to propose a "wealth tax"

It's slated to be only 2% annual tax on wealth over $50MM, but why stop there?

Are CCPdemocrats aiming too low? I mean the Gate Trust alone must have $50 BILLION!!! Why aren't dems targeting that idle wealth?

Actually if you were paying any attention last year you would know that it is Bernie who has teamed up with Elizabeth. That wealth tax was her idea and one of the things she campaigned on last year.

Our national debt is over 20 trillion.

How do you plan to get that paid?

No amount of cutting the budget will get that paid.

Especially when no politician is willing to make those cuts.

The budget deficit is again at a record level at over a trillion dollars.

How do plan to balance the budget?

No amount of cutting the budget will get that record deficit removed and our budget balanced.

Especially since no politician is willing to make those cuts.

The filthy rich have been showered with trillions ever since the reagan years.
The tax cuts for the rich is one of the reasons why we have such a high debt and deficit.

The filthy rich are the ones sending American jobs overseas reaping even more wealth without having to pay much of any tax on it.

Why not have them finally financially contribute to getting that deficit eliminated and the debt paid off? They can afford it.

I believe we need a separate tax on the rich that will be only used to balance the budget then pay off our national debt. I would make that tax much higher than just 2% and the floor on wages to have to pay it much lower.
Like I said they could tax the wealthy at 100% and not put a dent in the debt.

We will need to pay off debt somehow.
We need to stop spending---------making billionaires and politicians richer.
I would argue we need to stop cutting taxes and require a tax increase for any spending. We keep cutting taxes so nobody cares about debt. They will care when taxes increase.

We should stop making employers send in their employee's taxes and people should have to write a check and pay quarterly taxes.

After that we should make tax day the day before election day so people will still be sore from the big wet bite the fucking government just took out of their asses.
That is a fun idea. We probably would have too many people owing however...
That's the point. Make people realize exactly how much the government is taking from them.

The corrupt politicians know that the middle class is where the money is. Why do you think the income tax is the tax of choice for the bulk of government revenue?
I understand the point and agree me with it. But if everyone’s money is spent come tax time we have created a whole new problem. And believe me it will be spent for many.

That's their problem. People need to learn how to handle their own money.

I always managed to pay my quarterly taxes on time so can everyone else.
I do too. But I think it would be a huge hit to revenue. And then do we jail lots of people? Too many new problems.

Gee imagine forcing people to actually be responsible for themselves

That's horrible.
If it leads to less revenue and more people in jail you have made problem worse.

A wealth tax would raise 4.35 TRILLION over a ten year period and the uber-wealthy wouldn't even notice it.
Great idea - DO IT!
That's about half of what we spent on stimulus in the past 2 years, and even that is never going to pass. A 10% surtax?

We'd better figure out something to address wealth inequality and pay down the national debt or we'll all be F'd. Cleaning up and simplifying a tax code that enables a company like Amazon to pay nothing or a cheat like Rump to pay $750 two years in a row is also essential.
Well, imo wealth disparity is just because the % of income growth in the top 1% and more so the top .1% grew much faster than workers' incomes, and their taxes did not rise in % to their income growth. The supply siders and tools of Norquist who dream they too could invent the computer will say "but the top 10% pay by far most of the total taxes." While that's true, it's actually evidence of the unequal share of who earned the increases in gnp. It's totally opposite to what occurred from 1950-1980 when the middle class emerged. Partially, post-1980 was the decline in unions and globalization.

But we taxed the shit out of the rich before Reagan. I'd say our problem was not how much we taxed them, but the ways we let them avoid any tax by not earning profit on their "nut." But we had the Reagan boom because so much money sought productive investments after we cut the top income tax rate to 33% or whatever. Now we have the opposite problem. Not enough places to invest. So we have housing and equity bubbles faster than we did before.

Lizzy Cheekbones teamed up with Bernie "Please may I have another screwing over at the voting Booth" Sanders to propose a "wealth tax"

Are CCPdemocrats aiming too low? I mean the Gate Trust alone must have $50 BILLION!!! Why aren't dems targeting that idle wealth?

Actually if you were paying any attention last year you would know that it is Bernie who has teamed up with Elizabeth. That wealth tax was her idea and one of the things she campaigned on last year.

No amount of cutting the budget will get that record deficit removed and our budget balanced.

The tax cuts for the rich is one of the reasons why we have such a high debt and deficit.

The filthy rich are the ones sending American jobs overseas reaping even more wealth without having to pay much of any tax on it.

Why not have them finally financially contribute to getting that deficit eliminated and the debt paid off? They can afford it.

I believe we need a separate tax on the rich that will be only used to balance the budget then pay off our national debt. I would make that tax much higher than just 2% and the floor on wages to have to pay it much lower.

I don't know about you but I know that debt usually takes some time to erase.

I know that over a period of time, say 10 to 20 years if we taxed the rich at a proper rate and only use that money to pay down the deficit then pay off the debt, that debt can be eliminated.

But then I have a degree in accounting/finance.

Your statement is ridiculous. It's used by people who don't want to do anything about our deficit, debt and the fact that the filthy rich aren't contributing their fair share to properly financially support our nation.

Those of us adults who want to get this problem under control just ignore ridiculous statements you made above.

Funny thing, Clinton eliminated the deficit and left us with a plan to have the reagan/bush national debt paid off by 2010.

Too bad the bush boy and republicans trashed it.

Great idea - DO IT!

I don't know about you but I know that debt usually takes some time to erase.

I know that over a period of time, say 10 to 20 years if we taxed the rich at a proper rate and only use that money to pay down the deficit then pay off the debt, that debt can be eliminated.

But then I have a degree in accounting/finance.

Your statement is ridiculous. It's used by people who don't want to do anything about our deficit, debt and the fact that the filthy rich aren't contributing their fair share to properly financially support our nation.

Those of us adults who want to get this problem under control just ignore ridiculous statements you made above.

Funny thing, Clinton eliminated the deficit and left us with a plan to have the reagan/bush national debt paid off by 2010.

Too bad the bush boy and republicans trashed it.
Repubs have long history of increasing deficits...

I would argue we need to stop cutting taxes and require a tax increase for any spending. We keep cutting taxes so nobody cares about debt. They will care when taxes increase.

Require a tax increase for any spending....brilliant, we'll be up to 70% taxation in no time.

Great idea - DO IT!

Well, imo wealth disparity is just because the % of income growth in the top 1% and more so the top .1% grew much faster than workers' incomes, and their taxes did not rise in % to their income growth. The supply siders and tools of Norquist who dream they too could invent the computer will say "but the top 10% pay by far most of the total taxes." While that's true, it's actually evidence of the unequal share of who earned the increases in gnp. It's totally opposite to what occurred from 1950-1980 when the middle class emerged. Partially it was the decline in unions and globalization.

We taxed the shit out of the rich before Reagan. I'd say our problem was not how much we taxed them, but the ways we let them avoid any tax by not earning profit on their "nut." But we had the Reagan boom because so much money sought productive investments. Now we have the opposite problem. Not enough places to invest. So we have housing and equity bubbles faster than we did before.
Our wage problems are from too many near monopolies and wage collusion. We had super low unemployment and wages barely moved.
Well 1% own most of American equities. And it's hardly in their self interest to give raises.

Require a tax increase for any spending....brilliant, we'll be up to 70% taxation in no time.
Tax payers would never stand for it.

And progressives care?

And progressives care?
When they get voted out.

And progressives care?
they don't know the definition.

Great idea - DO IT!

You're demented it would raise $43 Trillion! Pay for the Green New Deal and the New Green Deal!!

Eat the rich!!!

Tax the rich, feed the poor
'Til there are no rich no more!! Yes!! Alvin Lee, economic genius!

If we have rich and poor and we tax the rich out of existence, what are we left with??? That's right! Venezuela!

Great idea - DO IT!

You're demented it would raise $43 Trillion! Pay for the Green New Deal and the New Green Deal!!

Eat the rich!!!

If we have rich and poor and we tax the rich out of existence, what are we left with??? That's right! Venezuela!
So far the rich keep getting tax cuts. I think they will be ok.

Why not raise the minimum wage instead so even the Poor can pay their share of the tax burden? We subscribe to Capitalism and have a Commerce Clause to faithfully execute. There should be no theoretical upward limit to markets under Capitalism. Besides, simply taxing the rich more does not solve for income or wealth inequality, like simply raising the minimum wage can.

Great idea - DO IT!

Eat the rich!!!

No they don’t, but your massers told you that!

nor do you know who the job creators are master told you to shut up

Great idea - DO IT!

Eat the rich!!!

Why does Gates NEED $50 Billion? Can you think of single reason?

Great idea - DO IT!

Exactly, then who’s next?demofks still don’t get it

Why not raise the minimum wage instead so even the Poor can pay their share of the tax burden? We subscribe to Capitalism and have a Commerce Clause to faithfully execute. There should be no theoretical upward limit to markets under Capitalism. Besides, simply taxing the rich more does not solve for income or wealth inequality, like simply raising the minimum wage can.

The minimum wage should be $75,000/year! There should be NO billionaires!

New Green Deal! Green New Deal! Deal Green New! See Spot Run! Run Spot Run!

Forum List

Back