We should strive not being effectively dependent upon any other nation.

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
USA should strive not to be effectively dependent upon any other nation. Until we've discovered a synthetic substitute for rare earth materials necessary for the production of essential electronic devices, our federal government should pay a sufficient bounty to make the salvaging of such materials from discarded electronic devices commercially feasible.

The federal government should be stock-piling such materials. I hope the congress has for many years been appropriating funds and USA has for years been striving to discover and learn to mass produce synthetic substitute for rare earth materials. Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
The world's largest producer of Lithium isn't China. In fact, it's Australia.

We could annex Australia, there are only about 25 million people there effectively crowded into 7 cities and they really don't have much of a military.

We have been oil dependent since before JFK was elected.

Carter was all for America to be oil independent but the Oil Patch Carter'ized him (and still does). Then Raygun said "Tear down those solar panels Mr. President!"

Okay he didn't say that, but he did that.

We could annex Australia, there are only about 25 million people there effectively crowded into 7 cities and they really don't have much of a military.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. 25 million people armed with boomerangs and didgeridoos would be a force to contend with.

USA should strive not to be effectively dependent upon any other nation. Until we've discovered a synthetic substitute for rare earth materials necessary for the production of essential electronic devices, our federal government should pay a sufficient bounty to make the salvaging of such materials from discarded electronic devices commercially feasible.

The federal government should be stock-piling such materials. I hope the congress has for many years been appropriating funds and USA has for years been striving to discover and learn to mass produce synthetic substitute for rare earth materials. Respectfully, Supposn

Rare earth minerals aren't rare. They just aren't super concentrated so it takes a ton of time, money and acreage to gather enough up to use and it is pretty destructive in the process. China is just willing to mill up a mountain to get some. We are not.

I won't read your post first so I don't see your political slant. That way I won't get defensive and I'll be honest. Of course we need to not rely on other nations. If it's vaccines or energy or baby formula, we should not have these VITAL things being produced in other countries. Or, if we do, we have back up here.

I like using the worlds oil first before we tap into ours. But we need to be ready to fall back and only sell USA gas to Americans. At at the same damn cost. No gouging us when this happens. If BP oil or Shell was selling us gas for $3.50 before, they have to sell us our own gas for $3.50 when we cut off from the rest of the world.

This is why I like using their oil first. Then we will be the only ones with oil.

And battery power, windmills, solar. All these things will make us better. If I'm not sucking off the grid to light my house because I have solar panels, that's a good thing right?

I will read your post next. I hope you aren't being partisan. I agree with you. Who wouldn't?

And it would be completely constitutional because the constitution never mentioned anything about Australia.

Excerpted from the Economic forum's tread entitled, “We should strive not being effectively dependent upon any other nation”, FrigidWeirdo posted “ … And most countries don't want to dig for rare earth minerals. You should check out why. Mostly because it involves digging huge fucking holes in the ground.
How Rare-Earth Mining Has Devastated China's Environment | Earth.Org.[/URL
] “. Excerpted from FrigidWeido's ...ican-mining-sector']African countries[/U][/B]
“… A Near-Monopoly … Over the last decade and a half, China has also moved to obtain exclusive mining rights in in return for building big-ticket infrastructure projects. Deals have been sealed in the Democratic Republic of Congo and in Kenya where China has agreed to provide $666 million for a data center and highway”.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. 25 million people armed with boomerangs and didgeridoos would be a force to contend with.
They have a great communication system.

1662558215518.png

Currently, we don't recycle rare earth materials. Probably because the demand for them hasn't required the necessary research into how to do it, so since businesses haven't seen the necessity, they haven't bothered.

But, considering how important they have become in just about all tech that everyone uses nowadays, I'm guessing that it will become a viable business model soon.

Hey...............there's an industry that the US can start looking at, rare earth recycling. Right now, only around 1 percent of them are recycled. If they can come up with a cost effective and safe way of doing it, we could become an economic powerhouse in that field.

And it would be completely constitutional because the constitution never mentioned anything about Australia.

FNCCEO & Sealybobo, Australia is a sovereign nation. It has political, economic, and military ties with Great Britain, and Canada; (and they all in turn have military and intelligence ties with the USA). Yuooze guys are suggesting the USA go to war with all of them?

I doubt if the Australian government or its people want to be annexed by any other nation.
Do you think we or our congress would consider USA being annexed by Australia? Respectfully, Supposn

... considering how important they have become in just about all tech that everyone uses nowadays, I'm guessing that it will become a viable business model soon. ...

Abikersailor, it may, or may never become a “viable business model”; but it's a critical economic and defense concern NOW. Are you suggesting we wait until it's of our critical economic and military NEED? Respectfully, Supposn

Why is any electronic device essential?

Why is any electronic device essential?
Night_Son, I hope you're pretending ignorance to make a socratic argument. Do you believe our Department of Defense or our Treasury Department could currently operate without electronic devices? Respectfully, Supposn

FNCCEO & Sealybobo, Australia is a sovereign nation. It has political, economic, and military ties with Great Britain, and Canada; (and they all in turn have military and intelligence ties with the USA). Yuooze guys are suggesting the USA go to war with all of them?

I doubt if the Australian government or its people want to be annexed by any other nation.
Do you think we or our congress would consider USA being annexed by Australia? Respectfully, Supposn
Everyone would be glad to join the USA. Even Aussie Aussie Aussie's, oye oye oye's.

Rare earth minerals aren't rare. They just aren't super concentrated so it takes a ton of time, money and acreage to gather enough up to use and it is pretty destructive in the process. China is just willing to mill up a mountain to get some. We are not.

Which could benefit us in the long run. As other sources are used up, ours will still be mostly untouched.

Which could benefit us in the long run. As other sources are used up, ours will still be mostly untouched.
Maybe. I have read that China is starting to search the ocean floors for them. That could be not good for the water critters. Apparently they have learned the hard way that all the toxic crap they have allowed to get in their own water supplies by surfacing mining may be problematic

Everyone would be glad to join the USA. Even Aussie Aussie Aussie's, oye oye oye's.

Supposn previously posted: FNCCEO & Sealybobo, Australia is a sovereign nation. It has political, economic, and military ties with Great Britain, and Canada; (and they all in turn have military and intelligence ties with the USA). Yuooze guys are suggesting the USA go to war with all of them?

///////////////////////////////

I don't suppose there's many Australian members within this group, or more than a very few of those read this thread; but if you're such a reader, please respond to Sealybobo's last post. Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back