we can say sure Trump can run BUT he cannot hold any office with within the federal,state or local offices of government.

Why should we dump Trump?

I'm still gonna vote for DeSantis in the NY primary, but in the general I'm voting for Trump if he is running.

The Dems will destroy this country, not Trump, and if you are too stupid to see that, nothing can help you.
I just voted in the Republican Primary, my polling place this year, Englewood Baptist Church. I vote for Nikki Haley as the best Republican to lead the country and maintain or representative republic, under our present constitution and rule of law.

I just voted in the Republican Primary, my polling place this year, Englewood Baptist Church. I vote for Nikki Haley as the best Republican to lead the country and maintain or representative republic, under our present constitution and rule of law.
so you wasted a vote on a war monger that uses the political system to get rich,,

I am not surprised,,

so you wasted a vote on a war monger that uses the political system to get rich,,

I am not surprised,,
You vote as what you think are in your best interests and I vote as what I think are in my best interests. It is the American way. Cheer up.

You vote as what you think are in your best interests and I vote as what I think are in my best interests. It is the American way. Cheer up.
I dont vote selfishly,,

I vote for whats best for my children and their children,,

and voting for them to die in wars isnt best for them,,

Trump is not going to destroy our government.

That's the Dem's goal.

Actually, the Amendment made no such distinction. Because the Federal Government made a decision to give amnesty to all soldiers who fought for the Confederacy or served in the Confederate government, the purpose of Section 3 was to exclude them without a trial. It was also poorly enforced, as people who served as lower level confederates did eventually find their way into Federal and State service.

The Court found that only Congress can disqualify someone on the basis of an insurrection, and that creates a problem. Let's say Trump wins the EC, but not the popular vote, and Democrats get in control of the House. Can they refuse him the office on the basis of Section 3? The ruling actually opened up a whole can of worms. What if Trump is convicted in GA or the DC case?

There actually IS a precedent here, and that is the case of Victor Burger, who was elected to Congress but barred due to a conviction under the Espionage Act of 1917 because of his anti-War or pro-Germany sympathies.

No, it was just about one man and his conduct, as the section intended.

Under secion 3 Ex Confederates were excluded without a trial YES, because it was open and shut that they were members of the CONFEDERACY. The Confederacy had been at war with the Union.
With Trump there is no similarity, unless you want to liken the Republican party to the Confederacy. In the case of an individual like Trump of course there needs to be a trial. Its not like there were enemy forces present on January 6 who were trying to overthrow the Government, in which case there would be a rank and file, and a clear comand which could be traced to a leadership.

January sixth was a political protest ad a gathering of a large crowd to do so. People who for the vast majority of were not connected and did not even know each other.. There was then a riot which took place, which is very arguable to say was caused by chaos and emotions run high. Smaller elements within that riot were instigators it seems, but in no way is this even similar To what being a memeber of the Confederate Army during the civil war was.
Of course there would need to be a trial and due process in this case.

Trump is not going to destroy our government.

That's the Dem's goal.
If that is what you think, you should leave your computer and go vote, then.

you cant just claim someone did an insurrection and remove them from the ballot,,

it has to be proven,, and trump has already been tried for it and found not guilty,,
Actually, you can, because Section 3 does not call for a trial or conviction. Merely participating in it was sufficient.

That said, SCOTUS has created a bigger problem. They've essentially allowed Congress the ability to refuse to seat Trump if he "wins" the election.

If that is what you think, you should leave your computer and go vote, then.

My Primary isn't until April 2nd. Like I said I'll be voting DeSantis, as he was my guy from the start.

But in Nov if Trump is on the ballot he has my vote.

Actually, you can, because Section 3 does not call for a trial or conviction. Merely participating in it was sufficient.

That said, SCOTUS has created a bigger problem. They've essentially allowed Congress the ability to refuse to seat Trump if he "wins" the election.
I dont think you want to open that box,,

a good case can be made that the whole of the democratic party has committed insurrection in many different directions and never allow another democrat on any ballot,, EVER

Under secion 3 Ex Confederates were excluded without a trial YES, because it was open and shut that they were members of the CONFEDERACY. The Confederacy had been at war with the Union.

Except Section 3 didn't specify just the confederacy, but anyone who participated in ANY insurrection.

With Trump there is no similarity, unless you want to liken the Republican party to the Confederacy. In the case of an individual like Trump of course there needs to be a trial. Its not like there were enemy forces present on January 6 who were trying to overthrow the Government, in which case there would be a rank and file, and a clear comand which could be traced to a leadership.

This tells me we need to have the Jan 6 trial right away, and not delay past the election, then.

January sixth was a political protest ad a gathering of a large crowd to do so. People who for the vast majority of were not connected and did not even know each other.. There was then a riot which took place, which is very arguable to say was caused by chaos and emotions run high. Smaller elements within that riot were instigators it seems, but in no way is this even similar To what being a memeber of the Confederate Army during the civil war was.
Of course there would need to be a trial and due process in this case.

If Trump had accepted his loss like a man, there would have been no crowd that turned into an insurrection.

Not if you people come to your senses, dump Trump and go with Nikki. Otherwise, I will choose Biden over Trump, to keep the country under our present constitution and rule of law, rather than some top down authoritarian regime, where votes do not count unless he ruling junta like them.
Biden is the one violating the Constitution and his policies have almost destroyed this country. The stupid and gullible is strong here. How could any American vote for 4 more years of this?

Except Section 3 didn't specify just the confederacy, but anyone who participated in ANY insurrection.

This tells me we need to have the Jan 6 trial right away, and not delay past the election, then.

If Trump had accepted his loss like a man, there would have been no crowd that turned into an insurrection.
A man does not accept being cheated. You might, Trump will not.

Biden is the one violating the Constitution and his policies have almost destroyed this country. The stupid and gullible is strong here. How could any American vote for 4 more years of this?
I just decided to sit your suffering out this time. I suffered in 2008, so I'm good. :cool:

There was no insurrection.

Take a break from binge watching the Joy Reid show. You tend to get overly excited from leftist loonery.

Hysterics much?

Sorry, unemployment is low, the stock market is at record highs, inflation is under control. Country seems fine to me.

A man does not accept being cheated. You might, Trump will not.
Except he couldn't prove he was cheated in court, and once he organized a riot/insurrection, he entered criminal territory.

Trump 2024: "I'm too pretty to go to jail!"

Not if you people come to your senses, dump Trump and go with Nikki. Otherwise, I will choose Biden over Trump, to keep the country under our present constitution and rule of law, rather than some top down authoritarian regime, where votes do not count unless he ruling junta like them.

Come to our senses? Who is it resorting to every authoritarian tactic in the playback to prevent WE THE PEOPLE from choosing who WE want, not who YOU want.

Ummmm, that be YOU!

Hysterics much?

Sorry, unemployment is low, the stock market is at record highs, inflation is under control. Country seems fine to me.

Except he couldn't prove he was cheated in court, and once he organized a riot/insurrection, he entered criminal territory.

Trump 2024: "I'm too pretty to go to jail!"

Yes, you are always hysterical.

Browse the Constitution Annotated

Fourteenth Amendment Equal Protection and Other Rights

Section 3 Disqualification from Holding Office
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.

The above does not say an individual cannot run for office, neither does it suggest use of a 5th amendment bypass of the 14th Amendment

However it does say No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.

Thus we can say sure Trump can run BUT he cannot hold any office with within the federal,state or local offices of government.

To alter anything that is said in the 14th Amendment 3rd section requires a Constitutional Amendment approved by the house and senate.
In any other country , trump would already be disqualified and be on trial for his crimes , if not in jail already.

Forum List

Back