water cooled computer?

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I admit I'm far from being a computer geek. My question is based on the movie "The Accountant" which was pretty good. In the closing sequence they remark about a super "water cooled" computer operated by a savant resident of a hospital.

They exist. I'm no expert either, but i think they are just a gimmick for geeks.

My gaming rig purchased last summer has a liquid cooling unit for the CPU. It draws the heat away from the CPU where the liquid transports the heat to a radiator. Keeping the CPU temperature down extends the life of the CPU and for it to operate at higher clock speeds stably. This allows for better frame rates and smoother displays.

Not something that is needed for general use of word processing, spreadsheets or web surfing IMHO.

Signed Geezer Gamer
(No I don't have a Youtube Channel by that name.)
.WW

If you want the whole sci-fi villain thing, though, build your computer into a clear plastic desk and immerse everything in mineral oil:

pc-630x210.jpg

I admit I'm far from being a computer geek. My question is based on the movie "The Accountant" which was pretty good. In the closing sequence they remark about a super "water cooled" computer operated by a savant resident of a hospital.
Water and electricity

what could go wrong?

My son put a gaming computer together with a closed loop cooling system. The computer chassis is called "Cooler Master" and he ordered the cooling unit separately which has the reservoir, tubing, radiator and cooling fluid.

High-end gaming computers use a lot of current. As processing speed raises, so does current draw. Current generates heat…

To be nitpicky, it's power, not current, that generates heat.

All electric/electronic circuits and components have some amount of resistance. As current flows through a resistance, a voltage differential is created across that resistance. Ohm's Law: That voltage, multiplied by the current, equals the power, and that's what generates heat.

Forum List

Back